You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HenryCrun

A higher level of difficulty?

18 comments in this topic

219 posts
3,348 battles

Or a higher level of realism, if you wish to call it that:-

• Drop the "lock on" that tracks a chosen target. Manual targeting only.
  • Drop the distance and type info and the class icons. One icon for all. Visual ID needed to determine the class of ship.
  • No mini-map displayed on the main screen. Use the pop-up tactical map for navigation.
  • Drop the type icons for all airborne aircraft. One icon for all.
  • Drop the triangular icons for torpedoes. Show the trails only in the external view.
  • Keep the audible and visual warning for torpedoes....this simulates the lookouts' communications.
  • Ditto for the warning for an imminent grounding.

Would something like this be technically possible to introduce as another form of battle to the two types (PvP, PvAI) we now have?

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Most of what you request is there simply because not all computers were created equal.

The lock-on feature is there simply to make it easier to aim.

Edited by Haku

88 posts
709 battles

Not having a mini map would be detrimental to everyone.

How would you plan team action? i.e- highlighting attack routes, areas for attention, etc.  Realism-radar.

Lock on- the gunnery control on real ships do track the target.

The distance to enemy ships is used for aiming solutions, how can you aim without knowing that?? Realism- rangefinder.

Aircraft icons, without knowing whether it is torp or dive bombers approaching, how can you know which evasive action to take? Beam on for dive bombers, head on for torp bombers.  Realism- scout planes.

I think if your wish was granted, you would quickly want to revert back to how is it now.

930 posts

Or a higher level of realism, if you wish to call it that:-

• Drop the "lock on" that tracks a chosen target. Manual targeting only.
  • Drop the distance and type info and the class icons. One icon for all. Visual ID needed to determine the class of ship.
  • No mini-map displayed on the main screen. Use the pop-up tactical map for navigation.
  • Drop the type icons for all airborne aircraft. One icon for all.
  • Drop the triangular icons for torpedoes. Show the trails only in the external view.
  • Keep the audible and visual warning for torpedoes....this simulates the lookouts' communications.
  • Ditto for the warning for an imminent grounding.

Its called ctrl + G (hide HUD)

219 posts
3,348 battles

Its called ctrl + G (hide HUD)

No it's not.

Ctrl+G removes everything, which is not what I was suggesting. Read the post again if you are confused.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Not having a mini map would be detrimental to everyone.

How would you plan team action? i.e- highlighting attack routes, areas for attention, etc.  Realism-radar.

Lock on- the gunnery control on real ships do track the target.

The distance to enemy ships is used for aiming solutions, how can you aim without knowing that?? Realism- rangefinder.

Aircraft icons, without knowing whether it is torp or dive bombers approaching, how can you know which evasive action to take? Beam on for dive bombers, head on for torp bombers.  Realism- scout planes.

I think if your wish was granted, you would quickly want to revert back to how is it now.

Good points, and I get your drift: All the HUD items provide a simulation of situational awareness.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Damn! What a funny man you are sir. I've checked all of your topics and all of them are about "The game not being realistic".

Let me tell you this sir, this is a GAME. And a GAME is made for people to ENJOY. It's not supposed to be real. You want real thing? Why don't you just join the Navy? 

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Some players here actually did join the Navy. Just saying.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Damn! What a funny man you are sir. I've checked all of your topics and all of them are about "The game not being realistic".

Let me tell you this sir, this is a GAME. And a GAME is made for people to ENJOY. It's not supposed to be real. You want real thing? Why don't you just join the Navy? 

An ignorant retort.

You know absolutely nothing about me, my life or my career.

211 posts
9,928 battles

You want a Hardcore mode, it would be fun that's for sure. 

i'd like to see it without a mini map, make the players look around more, surprise attacks and everything, it would be hell fun.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

An ignorant retort.

You know absolutely nothing about me, my life or my career.

Do i have to know anything about you? Does it bring me any benefit knowing things about you? No, right? So i'm just gonna sit here and say about what i can see.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

leave the personal sniping for elsewhere folks.

back on topic - to increase the difficulty level (and realism) you should actually increase the amount of information to the point where you wouldn't see much of your screen.  Most of your battle would take place on the minimap (plotting, marking, developing firing solutions etc)., with only the act of firing/manoeuvring occurring in the exterior view.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

leave the personal sniping for elsewhere folks.

back on topic - to increase the difficulty level (and realism) you should actually increase the amount of information to the point where you wouldn't see much of your screen.  Most of your battle would take place on the minimap (plotting, marking, developing firing solutions etc)., with only the act of firing/manoeuvring occurring in the exterior view.

And make everything voice activated so that you can bark orders at your crew just like a real skipper. Add in a USB device which can spray salty water in your face to make the experience as real as it can possibly be!

590 posts
2,995 battles

And make everything voice activated so that you can bark orders at your crew just like a real skipper. Add in a USB device which can spray salty water in your face to make the experience as real as it can possibly be!

Mine is Voice Activate, 

I use a program that allows me to control speed, emergency maneuvers, and shell swaps. I could program in more, but eh... 

Thou I've been told it's odd hearing me say Full Ahead / Stop / Half etc etc. 

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Mine is Voice Activate, 

I use a program that allows me to control speed, emergency maneuvers, and shell swaps. I could program in more, but eh... 

You should put  a tutorial up, sure others would like to try it out 

1,162 posts

Mine is Voice Activate, 

You should put  a tutorial up, sure others would like to try it out 

Its even possible? :ohmy:

590 posts
2,995 battles

So some people are interested in how to make ships respond to voice commands. 

Go to the following Site, Download http://www.voiceattack.com/ and pay for it (14 Aussie dollars) 

So here is a little guide taken directly from the north american forums

Voice Attack Link: http://www.voiceattack.com/

Profile for Demo Clients (Import and Go!): http://www.mediafire...Attack_Lite.zip

Provides basic movement and ammo type controls.

Profiles for Full Clients (requires additional setup as it is multiple profiles): http://www.mediafire...Attack_Full.zip

To set up, you're going to need a full version of Voice Attack.

Then, you're going to have to import and edit the profiles, with the following references:

Standard Commands references Harbor Mode

Direct Combat references Navigation

Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship Modes reference Direct Combat

Carrier Mode references Standard Commands.

In addition, if you want to use Priority Target, you will have to bind it to G (or edit it to the key of your choice).

Default mode should be Harbor Mode.

To switch to any mode, say *shiptype* mode and it will confirm

To stop Voice Attack Commands, say 'stop listening'

To start Voice Attack Commands, say 'start listening'

Standard Commands provide movement and UI, including:

Full Speed Ahead, Stop Engines, Reverse Engines, Increase/Decrease Speed, Damage Control, Map, Camera

Most abilities should be self-explanatory.

Tc1259 comments

This na forum has a heap of profiles, I took the basic control setup one and modified the commands

1. So it could understand Australia

2. So it sounded more natural to me

3. If you wanted it to sound cool, it can respond to you in a voice, I chose Jarvis from Iron Man

Edited by tc1259