Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HenryCrun

The smoke in this game is complete rubbish!

3 comments in this topic

219 posts
3,348 battles

Even allowing for the fact that this NOT a simulation, the "smoke" effect is utterly ridiculous.

It doesn't even have the slightest, the most minuscule, connection with reality.

And before someone shoots me down in flames, yes I know that the game is a game and it's not a representation of the real-world but bear in mind that it does portray historical ship models and it does portray a realistic seascape and landscape and it does attempt to portray some level of realism in the funnel smoke, gunnery and damage effects....black smoke, flashes from the barrels, fire, black smoke, black smoke and more black smoke.

So, on that basis, and bearing in mind that the smoke produced by all of these ship models is black, how the hell do we have a smoke effect which is (a) white, (b) spreads out around the ship like a cloud of heavy fog, © doesn't move with the ship and (d) is not generated from the funnels of the ship?

Smoke - heavy, greasy black smoke - was produced in most cases by introducing bunker oil into the furnaces/fireboxes which heated the boilers.

It poured out of the funnel(s) and was used not as a means of ambush but to visually hide the escape of a damaged vessel.....and it worked okay until radar came along and metaphorically blew a hole in that idea.

Once again I accept that this is a game and compromises have been (and have to be) made.

But this aspect is ludicrous and one of the most irritating aspects of battle.

Ships did not hide in clouds of white vapour....unless it was fog produced by nature (ref: the hunt and sinking of the Bismarck, as one example).

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Picture-2.-DD-US-destroyers-and-smoke-sc

I thought the same as you about the smoke, till I read a bit about it. I was aware of smoke pots on DDs being used, as using smoke from the boilers tended to soot up the boiler tubes. 

So I stole this from Wikipedia for more info

Naval methods[edit]

Warships have sometimes used a simple variation of the smoke generator, by injecting fuel oil directly into the smoke stack. An even simpler method that was used in the days of steam-propelled warships was to restrict the supply of air to the boiler. This resulted in incomplete combustion of the coal or oil, which produced a thick black smoke. Because the smoke was black, it absorbed heat from the sun and tended to rise above the water. Therefore navies turned to various chemicals, such as titanium tetrachloride, that produce a white, low-lying cloud.[1][2]

In the above photo, smoke generators appear to have been used. Counter-intuitively, the smoke seems to remain stationary. Maybe floating smoke pots that get tossed overboard are employed.

You can imagine a ship placed to the right of the smoke screen would not have good visibility on the escaping DDs.....Until the wind blew it away.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Well, that's blown a hole in my argument! :D

However, if that is so (that the white smoke is the result of smoke generators or pots) then we should also have black smoke for crippled ships, so that they can attempt to make their way out of a fire-fight.

Now that would add extra interest....plus a smidgin of much-needed realism.

Edited by HenryCrun

Sign in to follow this