You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

[that what I think] DD finally find it's balance point

20 comments in this topic

1,126 posts

not about their performance, but about what their gain from the thing they did.

when I first climb to tier 6+ IJNDD, I'm so frustrate about how bad it is.

can't score a torpedoes hit = can't gain any decent xp/credits

but these day, I can finally let those go.

I can now focus on DD true and main job... capping!

running around, hide, cap, launch torp to push enemy away or disrupt enemy line

if it's hit... good, if not... fine by me

torpedoes hit is merely a 'by-product' now.

many match out there I don't score a single torpedoes hit, but I focus on cap and recap base that we lost, fire a few shot to defend base. that alone is enough to earn me in top 5 of team result with reasonable xp and credits.

I did not always win, but I'm pretty satisfied of what I gain from what I did in match, win or lose alike.

I don't know what other think,

but with this, it encourage me to do a DD main job.

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

No, IJN DD's especially are all about torpedo spamming, the US and Russian DD's are all about gun duelling each other to oblivion or setting ships on fire, the Russians also getting the glorious speed of Stalin torpedoes for suicide runs lel :trollface:

892 posts
7,853 battles

Since hitting tier 6, now tier 7, IJN DD torp hits have become more difficult despite the longer torp range because at Tier 7:

1. You get matched with faster, more nimble "Enemy" ships, and

2. Your concealment range is lower

Hence, gaining XP from capping becomes a given. In maps where there is nothing to cap, a DD will just have to act as scout/spotter and harasser.

Kind of frustrating for me to see DD captains trying to play like a gunboat, hanging about with the main fleet.....At least go scout/spot!

580 posts
1,587 battles

Tis true that one of the primary roles of a DD is to cap because of their speed and stealth... but the real fun begins when you can switch roles from a capper to a Torping nightmare of the enemy team on a whim... Speed and stealth can be used offensively as well...

I'm still in the Mutsuki with her 10Km torps with somewhat average speed but I usually offset it by carefully launching them at 7km or if I'm feeling feisty I do it at 6.5km... At those ranges and plus the reduced IJN torpedo detection range, I've taken out T8 ships whilst watching them dodge in vain... It's all about location, location, location so it's going to take alot of time and patience to set up a nice torpedo attack but hey, it works for me...

Capping is indeed the way to go with DDs but never ever forget the damage potential of an IJN DD and her torpedoes you have can actually turn the tide of the battle... You can take a BB out or two if you plan your moves right and luck is on your side...

Heck, you should try taking out a CV as First blood to get the adrenaline going... Hehehe, couldn't picture out the enemy in dire shock to lose their only CV in the first five minutes muahahahahahahahahaha...

Edited by Kreigg

580 posts
1,587 battles

Take out a CV with torps and First Blood....now that's a challenge! Throw in Devastating Strike too?

It wasn't a challenge really but a stroke of luck... It was on the Lights map and I spawned south... took the east approach and went north all the way and it was mainly quiet... (I didn't notice that our CV spawned southwest of the map but ever since then I've taken a pattern that CVs spawn usually opposite to one another)... Then this lone Independence just appeared and it wasn't even moving, I approached it very carefully minding the path of her airplanes and moderated my speed and once I got within 6.5KM and in perfect broadsides... TORPEDOES AWAY... she took maybe 4 or 5 then sank... didn't survive no more than 5 minutes after since I just extremely pissed off the opposing team plus the left over aircraft from that CV... but hey, I sank laughing my a** off... Been meaning to replicate it again but it's impossibe with the other maps...
Edited by Kreigg

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

Torpedo hits for high tier IJN DD?

don't ever think about it

it'll just make you depressed

yes sometimes you can get a few torpedo hits but it all depends on luck

no matter how well you have aimed

an aircraft passing randomly, a random turn of the target, a random air strike by your ally

all these can ruin your plan

only close-quarter torping is effective, but you need a favourable situation first, which requires luck as well

so it's better to focus on capping, as it comes to your skill instead of luck

124 posts

The IJN DD's non-action part, and the patient needed to wait for opportune moments to make torp runs is the reason my Mutsuki collecting barnacles in port.

Only USN DD allowed me more option of duties to perform, exception being suicidal torp run is as literal as it gets.

191 posts
10,643 battles

Torpedo hits for high tier IJN DD?

don't ever think about it

it'll just make you depressed

yes sometimes you can get a few torpedo hits but it all depends on luck

no matter how well you have aimed

an aircraft passing randomly, a random turn of the target, a random air strike by your ally

all these can ruin your plan

only close-quarter torping is effective, but you need a favourable situation first, which requires luck as well

so it's better to focus on capping, as it comes to your skill instead of luck

Hmm nowadays instead of targeting single ship for torps, I aimed at the area where I think bunch of enemy ships will pass through. Especially effective if the enemy ships grouped closely with each other. Scored torpedo hits on 3 different ships with one full torps salvo from my Fubuki in the game yesterday.

1,126 posts

a major weakness of fubuki is..... she way tooooooo slow for a DD. especially compare to her counterpart US/RUDD in close tier...

if I got spot and they come hunting me, I can't even outrun them, all I can do is shouting "HELPPPP~~~~~ SPEEDY CRAZY MACHINE GUN ARE AFTER ME~~~~~!!"

before I get sunk after that :teethhappy:

191 posts
10,643 battles

a major weakness of fubuki is..... she way tooooooo slow for a DD. especially compare to her counterpart US/RUDD in close tier...

if I got spot and they come hunting me, I can't even outrun them, all I can do is shouting "HELPPPP~~~~~ SPEEDY CRAZY MACHINE GUN ARE AFTER ME~~~~~!!"

That's why need to work hard to not get spotted :P I remember a game when both Fubukis on my team (me included) sunked by one Benson :P

892 posts
7,853 battles

IJN DD already have an inherent weakness with its guns, low ROF and slow rotate compared to its counterparts. The frustration past Tier 6 becomes compounded as Tier 7 onwards, IJN DDs concealment rate deteriorate and their speeds drop. Once spotted, you're quite dead without support. More so if you cannot generate smoke. In the meantime, their counterparts see improved torps, speed and guns. Don't think I will bother to go beyond the Fubuki. I have actually been playing less of my IJN DDs lately.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

IJN DD at higher tiers cant really carry like they could at lower tiers for 3 reasons

1. much more skilled captains(BBs starting to shake that booty as soon as they are spotted

2.more nimble ships on both sides, even BBs(izumo and iowa not withstanding )

3.USN DDs gain some pretty nice torps and their detection range means that if you are spotted in a IJN DD by a USN DD, there is NO running away...

1,126 posts

Yep, this is what I mean....

the whole match I didn't do anything but cap (I try to torp but it's all missed though.)

shot-16.01.22_03.58.53-0589.jpg

and yet... 2nd place in team...

shot-16.01.22_03.59.00-0376.jpg

that's why I completely stop frustrated over torpedoes that hardly hit (but hit hardly) anymore.

as for the match that don't have anything to cap (Domination with 2 cap) I play a scout role anddddd.... well, I'm not shine much in that mode.

Edited by PGM991