You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

team fleet composition

19 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Well this has been brooding in my brain after some few asked me (repetitively till patience breaking levels) about a team build should there be a ranked battle where you and your friends can form an ad-hoc team against other ad-hoc teams like in tanks someday and reading this thread just set it off. I'd like to ask you all this:

if you were the one to choose the slate build of the team you'd be in (don't take the player as a deviation, assume the players are all seasoned enough), what would you chuck up to spec and why'd you pick those ships?

basically its gonna follow rank's same player capacity along with the preset ship hard caps for the carrier and battleship with a "balanced" lineup probably being

1 carrier

2 battleships

2 cruisers

2 destroyers

in lieu of 7 players rolling in the deep for this. In ranked, there are two areas to select ships from; the ships from 5 and 6 for a lower bracket and the ships from 7 and 8 for the higher bracket.

I'll just throw one for people to mock as impractical because its just a concept:

5-6

Independence

Kongo

New Mexico 

Aoba

Cleveland

Nurnberg

Mutsuki

-while the Ognevois are fast with good guns, I remember them being seen a bit further with short albeit really fast torpedoes and I have exactly no idea if the Farragut can reliably go on torpedo runs without being beaded at. this layout turns the destroyer as the only raider banking on being the first one to cap and unload torpedoes at the bigger capital ships during the skirmish in the contesting of the capture zones. if it encounters destroyers that can force it to a knife fight, its toast. the Cleveland can bunch up with the battleships as she has a good AA suite at her tier as an additional AA screen and an additional close-in defense when destroyers attempt on a torpedo run , the Nurnberg dealing with destroyers as I found out she can do a fair amount of destroyer bloodhounding due to the superlative hydro she has whilst the Aoba can strike with anti-cruiser duties or as a second line damage dealer with her 203's. Kongo is there because a fast battleship can have its opportunities such as being the capital ship that can reach the contested point first with the cruisers and fall back when the enemy capital ships arrive and start firing.  this is all for surface and not most of the air.

As for tier 7 to 8, I actually have no clear idea on what may be thrown in there but I'm guessing there will be some wild layouts you people can think of.

Derp.exe has encountered a serious error.

Edited by EvyL

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

Warspite for tier 6 because she repairs a lot more than her tier 6 counterparts.

Ognevoi is good because she rekts other DDs.

Edited by Deathskyz

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I rather have a Minekaze/Kamikaze than a Mutsuki.

but... BUTT! torpedo range...

and deathskyz, but isn't Ognevoi (and likely Gnevny) a bit easy to see than most? and Warspite was my first choice but not everyone can chuck a Warspite so New Mex is an option...

well on derpy concept IMHO.

Edited by EvyL

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
390 posts
3,801 battles

Id def take the warspite, bit slow but does she hit like a truck... and dem repairs are sooooo OP

Ognevoi is great probably paired with a CV just to spot other DDs, thats what id be wanting a CV player to do, just spot and negate the opposing carrier

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Warspite for tier 6 because she repairs a lot more than her tier 6 counterparts.

Ognevoi is good because she rekts other DDs.

I'd rather take a Gnevny. Sucknevoi has turrets made of paper. One lucky salvo from an enemy ship and you lose 50% of your firepower... 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Gremlin - better torp range than Gnevy

Though I frequently did see the Gremlin frequent skirmishes even with tier 7's than most tier 5's I've seen. It that sound for raiding the cap zones though? That or fielding a Sims during a 7-8 lineup.

One thing about the Warspite I did notice is that she's incredibly tough at a 5-6 lineup but when capital ships slug it out, it sometimes falls prey to the Fuso which, despite getting seen at 19km due to the pagoda masts, unloads at a range where she can't effectively respond and has to get closer.

Edited by EvyL

8 posts
2,270 battles

Though I frequently did see the Gremlin frequent skirmishes even with tier 7's than most tier 5's I've seen. It that sound for raiding the cap zones though? That or fielding a Sims during a 7-8 lineup.

I think Tier 7 - 8 DD Lineup should be Benson and Fubuki

*I think Mahan is better than Sims in my opinion. But since I don't have Sims, I need someone who have it to correct my statement. 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

even I have no idea but I'm fairly sure the Benson can go for anti-DD work but Tashkent or Kiev for that matter may not be viable.

I do expect lots of Amagi, New Orleans, Myoko and Mogami in light cruiser configuration however at tier 7-8

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

even I have no idea but I'm fairly sure the Benson can go for anti-DD work but Tashkent or Kiev for that matter may not be viable.

I do expect lots of Amagi, New Orleans, Myoko and Mogami in light cruiser configuration however at tier 7-8

Benny can beat Tashkent and Kiev IF the player knows how.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Benny can beat Tashkent and Kiev IF the player knows how.

that's a big If Nguyen and this is already taking into account her guns and speed which is blistering fast for a DD at the iteration. Mogami or MK can bead it if given enough though.
Edited by EvyL

211 posts
9,928 battles

T 5-6 composition 

CV - Ryujo (strike loadout for possible CV snipe, use one dive bomber to scout for the main fleet)

BB - x2 Fuso's (for range superiority) or x2 Warspites/Newmexico (whichever is more resilient to dmg) i'd want T6 BB's just for the rudder speed upgrades

CA - x3 Cleveland's (full cheese mode) 17km+ range and it's raw AA power, good guns, good armour

DD - x1 Ognevoi (Farragut's torpedo's are not strong enough to outweigh the Russian guns and it has the same concealment rating as it) 

- x1 Minekaze/Kamikaze for sneaking, screening and fast torpedo's 

Move as a battle fleet (CV tailing closely if CA peel is needed) Contest the objective force the engagement, expose the enemy CV and go for the kill.

I like an aggressive playstyle :izmena:

Edited by Apex1o1

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

that's a big If Nguyen and this is already taking into account her guns and speed which is blistering fast for a DD at the iteration. Mogami or MK can bead it if given enough though.

Benson is quite fast. Not as fast as those Soviet rocket-powered destroyers but still fast. And her gun fires a lot faster than those Soviets. And somewhat more accurate. If Benson is able to engage a Tashkent in a suitable angle, she can destroy Tashkent turrets and... Well, you know what can happen to a Soviet destroyer without guns.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Benson is quite fast. Not as fast as those Soviet rocket-powered destroyers but still fast. And her gun fires a lot faster than those Soviets. And somewhat more accurate. If Benson is able to engage a Tashkent in a suitable angle, she can destroy Tashkent turrets and... Well, you know what can happen to a Soviet destroyer without guns.

True.

T 5-6 composition 

CV - Ryujo (strike loadout for possible CV snipe, use one dive bomber to scout for the main fleet)

BB - x2 Fuso's (for range superiority) or x2 Warspites/Newmexico (whichever is more resilient to dmg) i'd want T6 BB's just for the rudder speed upgrades

CA - x3 Cleveland's (full cheese mode) 17km+ range and it's raw AA power, good guns, good armour

DD - x1 Ognevoi (Farragut's torpedo's are not strong enough to outweigh the Russian guns and it has the same concealment rating as it) 

- x1 Minekaze/Kamikaze for sneaking, screening and fast torpedo's 

Move as a battle fleet (CV tailing closely if CA peel is needed) Contest the objective force the engagement, expose the enemy CV and go for the kill.

I like an aggressive playstyle :izmena:

I dunno about fielding an all-Cleveland cruiser run. Sure the AA suite is good and AFT makes the range more superlative but think of the slower shells and the often times you expose yourself firing when an incorrectly lead salvo or volley will cost you some straddles that can affect a lot.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

just a random composition for tier 8's:

Lexington

North Carolina

North Carolina

Mogami

Admiral Hipper

Benson

Fubuki

potential ships to be in:

Atago

Amagi

Tashkent

I dunno why but I feel Mogami is an absolute must as a cruiser fitted with anything that might turn her invisible and lugging the 155's for general purpose work. Amagi is a solid choice for a capital ship (note that the carrier is one but in active combat, the battleship fills this role) because she can theoretically destroy anything with a single salvo at her tier. I am not sure about her AA suite however. I also have doubts for Admiral Hipper but her range is too delishus.

as for Tashkhent, someone told me that its ill-advised to lug it around because as a destroyer, its too large for raiding operations and that the Benson and Fubuki can do raid roles with each respective strengths.

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Since team is going live, its gonna be a strange cases of glorious runs with your people.