Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

What must I know about the IJN Cruisers Line?

32 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

GOOD DAY FELLOW CAP'NS and THANK YOU FOR OPENING MY THREAD... :honoring:

As the topic title says... As soon as I'm about to get an AFT for the Atlanta, and get a Nurnberg, I'm starting to consider my next path in my WoWS career... I've been eyeing the IJN Cruiser line and gathering from the net, they're not as straightfoward as the USN line...

I'd like to know from the Veterans and Old sea dogs what knowledge, tips, heads-up, and trap spots you can impart here to help this noob OP with his great nautical adventures... :playing:

I may peak it at around Mogami at Tier VIII, since I still have no idea what it's like to live in the higher tiers. I'm getting well settled into T6 these days... Mogami may well be my "Expedition Ship" to high tiers... and plus... as my signature below implies :unsure: (That may as well be the chief reason why I want her)

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ and HAPPY HUNTING! :honoring:

40 posts

IJN cruiser line is basically

- Best guns across all tiers.

- Flimsy armor, mainly due to inferior steel quality and armor scheme. You only get a good armor scheme until Zao.

- Mainly HE users and harassers thanks to the HE damage and fire chance. Your AP is just as good when you have a clear shot.

- offensive tactical torps until tier V thanks to gpod torp angles and high damage. Any IJN cruiser can charge and kill a BB of its tier with its torps. Torps shift to a more strategic aproach from tier VI onward as area denial and surprise weapon. You can still use it offensively but it's dangerous because the torp angles will make you show a full broadside.

- High tier IJN is all about long range invisifiring.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

IJN cruiser line is basically

- Best HE guns across all tiers.

- Flimsy armor, mainly due to inferior steel quality and armor scheme. You only get a good armor scheme until Zao.

- Mainly HE users and harassers thanks to the HE damage and fire chance. Your AP is just as good when you have a clear shot.

- offensive tactical torps until tier V thanks to gpod torp angles and high damage. Any IJN cruiser can charge and kill a BB of its tier with its torps. Torps shift to a more strategic aproach from tier VI onward as area denial and surprise weapon. You can still use it offensively but it's dangerous because the torp angles will make you show a full broadside.

- High tier IJN is all about long range invisifiring.

Fixed because KM CAs AP is much better.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Don't forget about the speed. Cuz boy... Japanese cruisers are fast! From Aoba you get 34 to 35.5 knots top speed all the way to the Zao. Armor might be bad but still better than German armor...

40 posts

Fixed because KM CAs AP is much better.

When I say guns, I take into account that your guns can take on any enemy and situation. Yes, german AP is better but the HE is so bad that there are situations when you are helpless against some opponents. In contrast, IJN HE and AP are effective.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

When I say guns, I take into account that your guns can take on any enemy and situation. Yes, german AP is better but the HE is so bad that there are situations when you are helpless against some opponents. In contrast, IJN HE and AP are effective.

KM HE is where all CA HE is supposed to be.

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Also, Zao has the fastest torpedoes in-game. I once challenged one during CBT and occasionally when bringing my Tirpitz for some credit farming. From my experience, once you see a Zao drops torpedoes at you, you can turn but I guarantee 2-3 will score some hits on you. And it hits hard too. I went from full health to about 1/5 of my hitpoints left after I got hit.

1,162 posts

I not a veteran but here are few tips maybe or maybe not useful.

Among the IJN CAs roles are:

-Fireman (You know what I meant)

-Big*** destroyer (Especially tenryu, I am super confused how to use it, I am ashamed of myself  :fishpalm:

-Citadel city practice (So yeah... Dont show your broaside)

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

I not a veteran but here are few tips maybe or maybe not useful.

Among the IJN CAs roles are:

-Fireman (You know what I meant)

-Big*** destroyer (Especially tenryu, I am super confused how to use it, I am ashamed of myself  :fishpalm:

-Citadel city practice (So yeah... Dont show your broaside)

The CLs Tenryu and Kuma were sort of 'Destroyer Leaders' so their playstyle is very fun with their fast firing guns. The CAs should definitely stay at medium-long range and use their torps defensively since they fire from the rear arc after the Furutaka :D.

1,162 posts

The CLs Tenryu and Kuma were sort of 'Destroyer Leaders' so their playstyle is very fun with their fast firing guns. The CAs should definitely stay at medium-long range and use their torps defensively since they fire from the rear arc after the Furutaka :D.

Definitely. My Tenryu and Kuma holding 24% of all time ships sunk in PvP. FOR THE EMPEROR! :izmena:

Also did I say my Kuma holding the only and one "Top Gun" medal in my acc, so proud of it decided to keep them forever. <3

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Definitely. My Tenryu and Kuma holding 24% of all time ships sunk in PvP. FOR THE EMPEROR! :izmena:

Also did I say my Kuma holding the only and one "Top Gun" medal in my acc, so proud of it decided to keep them forever. <3

I kept the Kuma for such a long time and only sold it recently to make room for my Myoko :P. I've only had two games with 5+ kills and those were ages ago so I won't be getting that achievement anytime soon :D.

1,162 posts

Yep, tenryu are destroyer big sis, I always have her leading an DD expedition team

Especially, the Big Race map. Kamisama bless the torpidus wall.

I kept the Kuma for such a long time and only sold it recently to make room for my Myoko :P. I've only had two games with 5+ kills and those were ages ago so I won't be getting that achievement anytime soon :D.

Just make a slot and buy the low tier ships and torpidus the hell out to them, they wont notice it. And collect the medals all day long. :hiding::trollface:

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Just make a slot and buy the low tier ships and torpidus the hell out to them, they wont notice it. And collect the medals all day long. :hiding::trollface:

I'll wait for a new ship line to come out first I guess :P. Dunno what ship you're up to but Aoba and Myoko are lovely :D.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I hated the Tenryu so much I sold it and didn't bother getting the later IJN CAs

Pretty much you do DD support role on Tenryuu & Kuma. On your Kuma, always use HE shells on U.S & German Cruisers if no choice but to fight them in long range.

Furutaka with its large 203mm gun, you can citadel hit U.S. & German Cruisers at certain range but for me I did it at max range.

580 posts
1,587 battles

MUCH THANKS FOR THE REPLIES CAP'NS! :)

All this information will prove useful and provide insight into handling and fighting these types of ships... With this I'm sure I'll have the Mog in due time... See you in the field and fair seas! :honoring:

40 posts

MUCH THANKS FOR THE REPLIES CAP'NS! :)

All this information will prove useful and provide insight into handling and fighting these types of ships... With this I'm sure I'll have the Mog in due time... See you in the field and fair seas! :honoring:

A warning. Mogami isn't what it used to be. She's got the biggest citadel of all IJN cruisers with an armor thick enough to prevent receiving overpenetrations and flimsy enough to get sliced by 406/410mm shells to the citadel. Combined with the short range of the 203mm guns and the unreliable damage if the 155mm guns she's truly, as well as all other tier VIII cruisers, the lowest point in the cruiser grind. 

If you want boom for few bucks use Aoba. If you want REAL boom grind until Zao. In any case, I wouldn't recomend Mogami as a pleasure ship.

40 posts

Armor might be bad but still better than German armor...

This is a common missconception about the german line. Up to Yorck all german cruisers can be considered light cruisers and as such they have very light armor. Nevertheless they have a much better armor scheme than other light cruisers and can resist much better AP of 155mm or smaller calliber.

The german heavy cruiser concept really starts with elited Hipper. Hipper already has very good resilience to 203mm AP but Roon and Hindenburg are real tanks if well handled, prove is the type of damage they receive from AP, most of the times being moderate damage thanks to the advanced armor scheme they have. This combined with the 4 health potions you can have can raise your effective health to 80k.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

IJN Cruisers are hard hitting ships,they have some added bonuses compared to other cruisers and of course some tradeoffs

> good top speed around 30-35 knots ( most ships can do 35 though some can only do 30 )

> Hard hitting 8 inchers on the mid-high tiers , AP & HE shells do good dmg 

> good torps with good dmg and good range for a cruiser torp at 10km ( higher than any other cruiser torps if im not mistaken) from tiers 6 and above ) 

> AA is average 

> Big citadel , always try not to expose your broadsides if possible and always maneuver around 

> backwards torp mount, you do need to expose a chunk of your broadside to get a torpedo salvo or so

> Some ships may have a bit awkward gun placement , makes it a bit harder to angle

As for their playstyle and role , its similar to other cruisers

Edited by Fadhz

580 posts
1,587 battles

A warning. Mogami isn't what it used to be. She's got the biggest citadel of all IJN cruisers with an armor thick enough to prevent receiving overpenetrations and flimsy enough to get sliced by 406/410mm shells to the citadel. Combined with the short range of the 203mm guns and the unreliable damage if the 155mm guns she's truly, as well as all other tier VIII cruisers, the lowest point in the cruiser grind. 

If you want boom for few bucks use Aoba. If you want REAL boom grind until Zao. In any case, I wouldn't recomend Mogami as a pleasure ship.

bu.. buu.. but... bbuttt.. she's got pixie cuts, and shorts, and boots... :(

70_3.png

Edited by Kreigg

Sign in to follow this