Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Harugumo

Does AP shells ever start fires?

18 comments in this topic

634 posts
6,217 battles

Kinda curious, cuz there is a sh*tstorm on a chinese forum about whether AP can start fire, someone even posted a screenshot, but i think it maybe photoshopped.

would be glad if a dev or mod could answer this question

Super Tester
630 posts
9,481 battles

If he was in a ship that had secondaries... say a USN battleship (they mainly fire HE out of their secondaries), the secondaries could've started a fire if they were in range and firing AND HIT, otherwise main battery AP does not start fires.

634 posts
6,217 battles

If he was in a ship that had secondaries... say a USN battleship (they mainly fire HE out of their secondaries), the secondaries could've started a fire if they were in range and firing AND HIT, otherwise main battery AP does not start fires.

OK. Is there chance of a bug in which ap start fire? have you ever heard of one? just wondering

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

AP can not start fires, no matter what skills you have, however secondaries can be firing HE at the time, and can start a fire from that.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Nope. Never. I just wish ship has fuel tank compartment, shoot at it with AP & starts fire.

Ships featured in this game were either powered by coal or diesel, coal isn't explosive so it is difficult to ignite with shell fragments and its even more difficult with diesel.

In saying that, parked scout planes, aviation gasoline and ready use ammunition for AA guns are perfect candidates for fires from AP hits...

Edited by Blitzkreig95

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Remember, AP is just an armored tip high explosive warhead, it penetrates the ship then EXPLODES and explosions (realistically) cause fire, there is tons of flammable stuff inside ships too.

HE in game atm is no where nearly as powerful as HE in real life, 1 HE causing a raging inferno on your decks, whats is inside the HE shell? Napalm?

As for in game AP shells, I have never seen an AP shell cause a fire "yet". Until we can get someone who can screenshot AP shell causing a fire to debunk this myth.

Edited by Windforce

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
54 posts
1,771 battles

in some battle only one time I try AP continue fire at enemy ship it set fire, weird huh that just only one time it did. that was only me and enemy fight no other allied ship near.

Edited by Marcion

331 posts
17,063 battles

Actually coal is explosive under the right conditions. I remember a few industrial accidents where accumulated coal dust did explode

First you need an accumlation of coal dust and then it needs to be suspended in air and a bit of heat and boom. and if the coal has methane in it you could also have that build up to explosive concentrations. there has also been  coal explosions aboard ships including warships.

350 posts

Actually coal is explosive under the right conditions. I remember a few industrial accidents where accumulated coal dust did explode

First you need an accumlation of coal dust and then it needs to be suspended in air and a bit of heat and boom. and if the coal has methane in it you could also have that build up to explosive concentrations. there has also been  coal explosions aboard ships including warships.

Pardon my intrusion, but isn't that the official explanation for the S/S Lusitania sinking? Of course, the trigger was a torpedo not a shell though.

At topic, No as I have been using AP much like the others and in a multiple armed gunship like the St. Louis, would make it overpowered if up to six AP shells would hit a ship and cause fires.

Believe me, I had fired a salvo of around five or six AP shells on an enemy cruiser in one game and none of them had caused a fire, but it did contribute to citadel damages and making modules incapacitated.

28 posts
4,589 battles

Ships featured in this game were either powered by coal or diesel, coal isn't explosive so it is difficult to ignite with shell fragments and its even more difficult with diesel.

In saying that, parked scout planes, aviation gasoline and ready use ammunition for AA guns are perfect candidates for fires from AP hits...

You are correct in saying coal is not explosive however coal dust is extremely flammable and does not take much to ignite. In the right conditions coal dust floating around in a closed confined area can ignite and because of the burn rate act like an explosion, and also set the rest of the coal on fire. This is why the bulk coal carriers of today do not permit open flames on board and extreme caution when doing work near the holds incase of sparks etc. So an AP shell penetrating into a coal hold could in the right conditions set a fire but to implement that in game would be a nightmare for the Devs.

Sorry didnt read all the way through to View PostMoganite post before I typed mine so said basically the same thing There have also been cases here in Australia of Wheat Silo's Exploding from a naked flame as the Wheat dust ignited and burnt so fast it literally exploded.

Edited by perositi

32 posts
1,242 battles

Any combustible dust that is suspended in air can be highly explosive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

This includes grain (ie: wheat/barley etc) flour, starch, sugar, powdered milk, cocoa, coffee, pollen and powdered metals such as aluminium, magnesium and titanium.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Of course the funny part is that penetrating hits with bursting charge in AP was the shot most likely to start ship threatening fires, because the things that really matter (fuel lines, steam lines, powder and shells) were all hidden behind the armour (that was kind of the point).

AP rounds also had more deadly splinters.

This game turns that on its head by making shells that don't penetrate things deadly through fires as though the ship is made of balsa above the hull.

The battle of the River Plate is a classic illustration of how pants all this is. In this game, Graf Spee would melt in a matter of a minute or two.

Queue the "this isn't real" comments, lol.

Having said that, they more or less had little choice in the matter or BBs and CVs would be the only classes worth playing. That would be historically more accurate, but wouldn't suit an arcade game design, would it.

Edited by Steeltrap

575 posts
5,354 battles

Kinda curious, cuz there is a sh*tstorm on a chinese forum about whether AP can start fire, someone even posted a screenshot, but i think it maybe photoshopped.

would be glad if a dev or mod could answer this question

The truth of the matter is AP shells fired from ships are not solid slugged rounds. They are filled with HE. AP rounds when they penetrated a ship had a delayed fuse (time delay set in ms). Then they would explode. Good example of this are the bombs the IJN pilots used during the war. Classic example was the bomb that killed the Arizona. It was a 1770lbs AP BB shell converted to use as a bomb. It penetrated 4 decks then exploded. In real life, yes, AP shells not only did massive kinetic energy when the hit and penetrated, the exploded too. Otherwise, they were useless if they didn't cause any other damage to the internals of a ship after penetrating. However, in this game, WG portrays them as solid shot that does not explode and cannot cause fires. This is the problem with 'arcade games.' Hence they make HE the ultimate round to use because it causes massive hit damage but also causes fires. WG, in this case, has gotten this backwards.

Sign in to follow this