Sign in to follow this  
Etheliz

New player seeking advice regarding target lead.

9 comments in this topic

2 posts
97 battles

Hello fellow Captains,

I'm relatively new to the game, recently just got the Myogi after grinding out the Kawachi(That was quite an experience) and soon after using some Free Xp to unlock all of the Myogi's upgrades i'm finding that i'm struggling when shooting targets at long range, usually i do ranging shot then adjust my lead w/c mostly works against Battleships(not so much against IJN ones though) and my second technique is using the lead indicator that show how long before the shot lands. For cruisers i found its usually shell travel time +1sc or 2sc and for Battle ships if its a Kongo its Half the time + 1sc for slow US Battleships its just usually half the travel time or half -1sc. 

Now i was wondering what you more experienced captains use and if possible could share it with me :)

580 posts
1,587 battles

I'm not a good battleship captain (Now I play mostly Cruisers & DDs) but allow me to share you some points I've picked up on my nautical adventures.

- First of all you went thru the BB line, that's a hard class of ship to master. I'm not judging you since I also did the same thing as well... Cruisers are a friendlier ship class and there's lots to learn from them and the margin of error is large. Battleships are a patient man's tub and require a lot from players and less forgiving when mistakes are made.

- Another thing about BBs is that (damage-wise) they're very dependent on RNG, they're like floating slot machines when they fire a shot. They may project nice raw AP damage but it's the Citadels Hits they make is where it's at for them since they don't have ROF at their disposal...

- Honestly my aiming has improved by playing cruisers alot then taking the occasional ride in my only BB (the Kongo), I realized by then that cool as they are, Battleships require an experienced player and I'm not that kind of guy for now... With time perhaps, and a lot of practice maybe I'll be worthy of that class again and get the Fuso...

- Since you just got the Miyogi, remember that IJN ships have a disadvantage even though they have long range guns and that's the awful dispersion at the max ranges so no matter how carefully you aim, dispersion is gonna make or break the shot... IIRC the Miyogi's effective range is at 15km where the dispersion isn't so evident.

- A tip about the Miyogi is that you're suppose to attack running away since her wierd gun placement dictates it so (1 Front, 2 Back), she represents the fighting style of IJN BBs that you should be adjusting right about now which is the "Shoot-and-Scoot"...

- If you want, there are sight/crosshair/scope mods available that could help you with more defined lines and graduations to lessen the time to estimate the shots... It helped me greatly but still I miss but useful nonetheless...

- One last thing... PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE... Go PvE if you want to, it maybe less rewarding but it works

Edited by Kreigg

211 posts
9,931 battles

What you're doing is a good way to start, Practice makes Perfect you just need to get used a new ship and the travel time of its shells.

So i'd say too keep doing what you are doing and referencing the lead indicator before you salvo's, after a while leading shots will become 2nd nature to you.

Once accustomed to a ship's shell velocity i generally think about what is the max speed or the current speed/range of the ship i am aiming at,

that usually works good enough that a leading shot is not required. (plus it's so much more fun letting all the guns fire at once - KABOOM)

2 posts
97 battles

Thanks for all the replies and that video link, so far i'm liking the Myogi albeit its dispersion is rather trollish long range or close range but i think its a solid ship as i can get around more than i could with the Kawachi. 

16 posts
2,606 battles

Keep in mind the Kawachi/Myogi are pretty terrible boats, it's what the devs put in so you know that BB is not easy mode. Things will get better when you get to Kongo though, played well it is a beast and you will love BB play better than all the other boats.

Leading targets: You're mostly right. Look at your shell travel time and then lead depending on the speed of the enemy ship. You will eventually memorise roughly what the top speeds are for each ship, if it feels like they're going slower than top speed then fire sequentially and see where your shells land/adjust accordingly.

Some rules of thumb for how much to lead:

with a 7 sec shell travel time:

Slow ships ~20knt Top speed: 5

Medium ships ~25knt Top Speed: 7-8

Fast ships ~30knt top speed: 10-12

with a 10 sec shell travel time:

Slow ships 20knt Top speed: 6-7

Medium ships ~25knt Top Speed: 10-12

Fast ships ~30knt top speed: 12-15+ (This isn't marked, you'll have to guess/eventually you get a feel for it)

Generally US BBs are very slow, All CVs, IJN BB's, US CL/CA,  are medium speed and IJN&KM CL/CAs are fast. DDs are very fast, don't bother shooting them at 10km+, they will turn and slow down and dodge your shells.

Also look at your minimap to see which way the enemy is turning. If he is sailing towards you then aim infront, if he's sailing away then aim behind. Try to shoot people when they are showing broadside to you for best results, i.e. if someone is in the middle of a turn wait till he is broadside before shooting.

Hope this helps

Sign in to follow this