Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Delphaeus

What I've learnt from the ARP Myoko/Kongo Missions

28 comments in this topic

32 posts
1,242 battles

1. Damage doesn't matter, only the killing shot - so if other friendly's are nearby, then don't fire unless you think you can get the killing shot

2. Use HE all the time, because setting fires is better than getting citadels

3. Tunnel vision when you see a mission target (ie: a DD or CA) on your minimap - other kills or objectives don't matter

4. As soon as all mission targets are dead, quit the match and start another match - more chances for kills.

5. Don't shoot on any other target, just in case a mission target appears - you don't want to be stuck reloading

Mission is pretty easy to achieve after this, but i'm a much worse player overall...

Edited by Delphaeus

121 posts

well BBs and carriers aren't in my kill list when i was going to get the kongo and the myoko

also the friendly ships will hunt both DD and the CL this is going to be a race

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

That's interesting, considering that I played like always and finished the kill missions last sunday...

Oh no, I could've finished it on the first day if I had traded my fun gaming experience for a frustrating grind!

How foolish I was...

32 posts
1,242 battles

That's interesting, considering that I played like always and finished the kill missions last sunday...

Oh no, I could've finished it on the first day if I had traded my fun gaming experience for a frustrating grind!

How foolish I was...

It sounds like someone is only thinking about themselves... For example, my favourite class of ships is IJN Destroyers, and when the mission came out my only tier 6 ship was a Mutsuki (which i hate because it is a downgrade from my minekaze/isokaze). 

Have you ever tried setting 300 fires using a Mutsuki? Didn't think so... So the "played like always" argument has been successfully shot down... and there is nothing of substance left to discuss...

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

It sounds like someone is only thinking about themselves... For example, my favourite class of ships is IJN Destroyers, and when the mission came out my only tier 6 ship was a Mutsuki (which i hate because it is a downgrade from my minekaze/isokaze). 

Have you ever tried setting 300 fires using a Mutsuki? Didn't think so... So the "played like always" argument has been successfully shot down... and there is nothing of substance left to discuss...

1. Equip C hull and upgraded guns

2. Grab a captain with AFT

3. Shoot BB superstructures

4. Profit

Nevermind that you now own a Cleveland, a ship that's easily capable of getting 10-20 fires per game.

Now what was it again I wrote earlier? Ah yes...

I feel really terrible for you having to go through such an unpleasent experience.

Event's going on for another 1½ months btw...

Edit:

There's more Arpeggio events in the future.

Please tell me you're going to rush those, too.

It would fit the "Some people never learn" stereotype so well~

Edited by Retia

Alpha Tester
128 posts
3,247 battles

Have to say that i haven't changed the way i go about playing the game at all in order to complete missions apart from ship selection. I find that depending on the nature of the mission i will select a ship or ships that i believe will be most suitable for task.

If you had to power grind and even played like the OP suggested then you really haven't been much of a help to your team.

Game first, missions second.

32 posts
1,242 battles

1. Equip C hull and upgraded guns

2. Grab a captain with AFT

3. Shoot BB superstructures

4. Profit

Nevermind that you now own a Cleveland, a ship that's easily capable of getting 10-20 fires per game.

Now what was it again I wrote earlier? Ah yes...

I feel really terrible for you having to go through such an unpleasent experience.

Event's going on for another 1½ months btw...

Edit:

There's more Arpeggio events in the future.

Please tell me you're going to rush those, too.

It would fit the "Some people never learn" stereotype so well~

Before I start, the attitude of your post implies you are getting frustrated/angry... I'm simply stating some facts, not really trying to convince anyone this is the "best way to do things"

1. I could have tried doing it with my mutsuki, but it was easier buying a cleveland, so thats what I did, yes

2. You're simply proving my second point from the OP - use HE all the time, not AP

3. I'm not having a frustrating grind. I don't know what gave you that impression. I just find that forgetting about your team seems to yield better results - which is probably an unintended side effect.

Have to say that i haven't changed the way i go about playing the game at all in order to complete missions apart from ship selection. I find that depending on the nature of the mission i will select a ship or ships that i believe will be most suitable for task.

If you had to power grind and even played like the OP suggested then you really haven't been much of a help to your team.

I agree to almost all of that. Most games I'm playing at the moment I'm next to useless to my team... But what reward do I get from teamwork? A slightly higher XP multiplier if we do win? And it doesn't make much difference if I have great teamwork, because it relies on the other dozen ships having great teamwork as well, which I rarely see happen at all.

Can I illustrate another way... As a Cleveland, I could provide good AA Cover to three BB's, however the XP recieved for shooting down 20 planes is nothing compared to getting a few volleys of shells on an Enemy ship... So I aim for the enemy ships first and only shoot planes if they end up being near me. 

Missions First, Team second. Unless I'm playing with friends, then it is Friends first, Mission Second, Team third.

If WarGaming wanted to encourage teamwork, surely they would have done something by now? (I'm not saying they should do it, I'm simply saying they could have if they wanted to)

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Sorry, I want to comment but I got my 30 DD & CA kills so long ago I don't remember how I got them.....  :ohmy:

124 posts

I am playing just as usual.

My only selfish gripe as a working adult (conveniently aging with slowly witting hand eyes motor control) is that I don't have much time to play on weekdays, and I can't commit all day on weekends.

So my only selfishness is I don't know if I can complete the challenge before 29th Feb. Maybe somebody would like to broadside and stop their CC or DD for me :child:

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I am playing just as usual.

My only selfish gripe as a working adult (conveniently aging with slowly witting hand eyes motor control) is that I don't have much time to play on weekdays, and I can't commit all day on weekends.

So my only selfishness is I don't know if I can complete the challenge before 29th Feb. Maybe somebody would like to broadside and stop their CC or DD for me :child:

Lots of people will tell you to use the Cheatland for the DD & CA kills. It's good, but personally I had the best success with my Fuso for both - especially for DD. Being a BB you are a magnet for DD - they come looking for you rather than the other way around. Also, the Fuso is manoeuvrable enough to dodge torps and it has enough guns and accuracy (assuming you can aim) that you can one-shot almost every DD you encounter. This eliminates a lot of kill stealing.

For setting fires nothing beats a Cheatland or an Atlanta - especially if you have a captain with a lot of skills you can put into the latter.

I got the 150 planes in 6 or 7 battles with my Independence. Playing a CV is the only way you can guarantee that every battle will have planes you can shoot down.

The third stage is easier than you think especially if you play tier 8+.

As a working dad myself I understand your limited playing time. I hope you (or anyone else) finds this helpful.

32 posts
1,242 battles

I had the best success with my Fuso for both - especially for DD. Being a BB you are a magnet for DD - they come looking for you rather than the other way around. 

If you don't want to get/be a BB, choose a ship you like and hang just behind the BB's. let them shield you from the damage but you get the kill. 

Edited by Delphaeus

Alpha Tester
982 posts

If you don't want to get/be a BB, choose a ship you like and hang just behind the BB's. let them shield you from the damage but you get the kill. 

Kill stealer!!!!!! :trollface:

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

I think the point that Delphaeus is trying to make is that the missions may be encouraging a very selfish style of play which prioritises the mission objectives over the team/game objectives. But as others have pointed out the missions can be done by just playing normally, i.e. by focusing on the game objective and letting the missions take care of themselves.

So have the missions adversely affected gameplay?

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I guess everyone already aware that what this kind of mission will result in long time ago.

Is encourage individuals pursuit their own goal and priority the objective of the mission instead of  winning and co-operative, because we saw something like this countless time in other games (and real life lol) :D:D:D

Despite the fact i still seeing developer putting out such a mission so i guess they intended it to be that way :P

248 posts

don't ever sail right next to a battleship.

it's the most annoying thing in the world.

when he gets shelled he has nowhere to turn.

it's the biggest most annoying noob move you can do to a BB.

sail just in front or just behind.

If a BB is shielding you you're in the wrong place and he'll turn away from you within seconds.

and it means you may torp him or shoot him aswell.

way to not make friends

Edited by fuzzjunky

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

1. I could have tried doing it with my mutsuki, but it was easier buying a cleveland, so thats what I did, yes

2. You're simply proving my second point from the OP - use HE all the time, not AP

3. I'm not having a frustrating grind. I don't know what gave you that impression. I just find that forgetting about your team seems to yield better results - which is probably an unintended side effect.

1. So what you're saying is you played the game instead of grinding like a mad person.

Hence why it's better to casually keep playing normally.

2. Yeah, it's almost like AP can't produce fires which is kinda ineffective once you get to a mission that requires you to set ships on fire.

Surprisingly I'm still punishing BBs and CAs with AP at mid/close range when they show me their citadels and I'm almost done with the 300 fires.

3. I.e. you're fine with reducing your performance in return for finishing the missions faster. I'd wish more people had that mentality, would make sinking

them easier.

So have the missions adversely affected gameplay?

Not really, you'll find the odd one tunnel visioning on ships at times, but for the most part no major changes occured.

Which makes me sad, because I'd love if nobody aside from me was shooting in-game, cause they're waiting to get the last hit.

[AE]
202 posts
9,508 battles

Delphaeus has a good point. WoT went through years of the same poorly thought out "missions". In tanks it was things like "cap with an artie", "spot with a heavy" and stuff like that (Joking but actually not far off). As a result when these things were running you would see heavies running from one side of map to other after a scout kill, or other such teamwork breaking nonsense.

The ridiculous thing is the way its broken down into "do nows" then "do nexts" etc. It forces someone to, as Delphaeus points out, to engage certain enemies, even if its not a winning strategy. Why not a mission where its destroy 20 DD, 20 CV, 20 CA etc. By making it simultaneous you wouldn't get the same damaging result. These things often also had impossible components - ie - kill 20 US, Brit, Russian and Chinese tanks. Of course, NOBODY had a Chinese tank at one stage, so with teams of 15 guys all trying to kill that one Chinese tank that popped up on the enemy team every third match or so, things got silly. In one case in particular WG had to keep pointing out NOT to shoot teammates, it got so people would try to kill them! Seriously. It failed in WoT. Often missions were just to try to fix  game - ie - after people stopped playing artie, nobody bothered scouting any more, so bing, up pops a "scouting" set of missions.

32 posts
1,242 battles

So, after thinking on this a while, I've figured that the best way for future missions would maybe be

1. With a tier 6+ ship, deal 1 million damage to enemy ships (torpedoes and shells combined) 

2. With a tier 6+ ship, shell the enemy 2000 times  

3. With a tier 6+ cruiser or destroyer, set 300 fires on enemy battleships

4. With a tier 6+ cruiser or battleship, get 50 citadel hits on cruisers

5. With a tier 6+ cruiser, destroy 100 planes that are within 5km of a friendly battleship or aircraft carrier

6. With a tier 5+ destroyer or cruiser, get 50 torpedo hits

If you see these missions, they are all encouraging good individual and/or team play. There is no emphasis on getting the killing blow, it is encouraging the use of he on battleships and AP on cruisers, it also encourages cruisers to defend friendly ships from air attacks.

124 posts

So, after thinking on this a while, I've figured that the best way for future missions would maybe be

1. With a tier 6+ ship, deal 1 million damage to enemy ships (torpedoes and shells combined)

2. With a tier 6+ ship, shell the enemy 2000 times (Everyone spamming HE at 16km+)

3. With a tier 6+ cruiser or destroyer, set 300 fires on enemy battleships (BB spammed HE by cruisers at 16km+)

4. With a tier 6+ cruiser or battleship, get 50 citadel hits on cruisers (Cruisers will never support BB or DD to make the push)

5. With a tier 6+ cruiser, destroy 100 planes that are within 5km of a friendly battleship or aircraft carrier (This is iffy)

6. With a tier 5+ destroyer or cruiser, get 50 torpedo hits (Every DD make suicide runs, die then exit battle)

If you see these missions, they are all encouraging good individual and/or team play. There is no emphasis on getting the killing blow, it is encouraging the use of he on battleships and AP on cruisers, it also encourages cruisers to defend friendly ships from air attacks.

My sarcasm in red blue :P

Joking aside, your ideas might be slightly better at elevating the grief of steal killing.

Maybe all those stages randomized for every player, and all players still need to complete the stages to finish a challenge.

Lots of people will tell you to use the Cheatland for the DD & CA kills. It's good, but personally I had the best success with my Fuso for both - especially for DD. Being a BB you are a magnet for DD - they come looking for you rather than the other way around. Also, the Fuso is manoeuvrable enough to dodge torps and it has enough guns and accuracy (assuming you can aim) that you can one-shot almost every DD you encounter. This eliminates a lot of kill stealing.

For setting fires nothing beats a Cheatland or an Atlanta - especially if you have a captain with a lot of skills you can put into the latter.

I got the 150 planes in 6 or 7 battles with my Independence. Playing a CV is the only way you can guarantee that every battle will have planes you can shoot down.

The third stage is easier than you think especially if you play tier 8+.

As a working dad myself I understand your limited playing time. I hope you (or anyone else) finds this helpful.

Thanks for the advice. However, I don't play BB much. More often I'm making the push without supports, or supports rush out faster than I can catch up. I don't even have IJN BB, just USN New York.

I'm 2/3 of completing the kill stages of both challenges. So I just play normally and tunnel vision here and there a bit, just a bit.

Red text. Post edited, user warned.

~amade

Edited by Quithelion

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

2. With a tier 6+ ship, shell the enemy 2000 times  

3. With a tier 6+ cruiser or destroyer, set 300 fires on enemy battleships

4. With a tier 6+ cruiser or battleship, get 50 citadel hits on cruisers

5. With a tier 6+ cruiser, destroy 100 planes that are within 5km of a friendly battleship or aircraft carrier

6. With a tier 5+ destroyer or cruiser, get 50 torpedo hits

I disagree on the 5th one, it's usually much better to intercept bombers before they get within 5km range to their target,

otherwise there's a good chance for several bombers making it through.

Plus as a cruiser I prefer to be at the front lines where I can deal massive damage while intercepting aircrafts.

Also @4.)

I sometimes think that there's a decently sized number of players that have no clue about citadels and how they work.

So there's a potentially difficult/unbeatable mission for some players.

Meanwhile anyone can sink a <insert ship class>, deal X damage, set X fires, etc.

Beta Tester
93 posts
2,457 battles

Anyone got an opinion on the ship t6-8 with the most effective aa? Just hit stage 2 of the kongo challenge (150 planes), and am not (and will not) drive a cv!

406 posts
6,287 battles

Anyone got an opinion on the ship t6-8 with the most effective aa? Just hit stage 2 of the kongo challenge (150 planes), and am not (and will not) drive a cv!

Cleveland

Snuggle up to either the friendly carrier or BB - Taunt the enemy CV, and then activate defensive fire and watch the planes melt.

168 posts
5,687 battles

Mostly the same here, although I do confess to a bit of prioritising DD kills when possible, I'm still primarily playing to win.

I'll target BBs or CVs or do capping/base defense if that's what we need to win.

Luckily though I've got Tier 6s of every ship type to choose from for missions like this.

Sign in to follow this