Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Attila_Hun

Tips and Considerations on Ranked Battles for Newbies like me

18 comments in this topic

Super Tester
304 posts
2,010 battles

I came across a post by Jasdaw from Subreddits, I thought that it would be worth to post here, with a little bit of editing, so Ranked Battles' newbies or noobs like me could be benefited.

Ranked battles require a different mindset than random battles. Below are some of thoughts on how to mentally prepare for enjoying and succeeding in the ranked season.

Primary Goal: Focus on scoring more points than the other team, not sinking the other team as priority. Once you learn this, you will be surprised how few people actually get it.

1. Team score is more important than personal score.
  2. Never forget that every tick of zone ownership adds points to the team score. (+9 this season)
  3. Ships in enemy controlled zones limits their point gain.
  4. Ship kills are fun, but not the goal. They are just a another method for scoring points.
  5. Sniping is rarely an effective early/mid match tactic. Instead, it simply reduces your teams' effectiveness on the main source of points, the objective zones. A BB with full health at the end of the match was probably carried by his team; you have many more of them than the rest of your team...use them.
  6. Know your target priority based on ship size. In general, target the smallest ship you can reliably hit. DDs are game winners in ranked because they can capture zones quickly and easily with their speed and stealth. If you are a BB or CA/CL firing at battleships in the early game you are most likely contributing to a loss. There will be plenty of time in the end game to finish off full health battleships, so avoid it until then.
  7. That torpedo spread that might kill you is also trying to force you to turn away and leave the objective.
  8. If you lose two or three matches in a row, take a break and let your mind relax.
  9. Ranked battles are fast, intense, and can have dramatic sways of points in the mid/endgame.
  10. Blaming your team in chat is often a terrible distraction, even if both the arguers are already sunk. Try to avoid being that guy. .
  11. If you are 1 or 2 salvos away from dying, focus on staying alive to keep the score up.
  12. Don't sit broadside in smoke screens. Good DD captains will launch torp spreads at enemy smoke in an attempt to fish for a kill/chase you off point. As an addition to this, launch torp spreads at enemy smoke, to fish for a DD kill and/or force them off point.

More food for thought: In addition to hiding a pesky DD, smokescreens are also an element of battlefield control. They act like a wall to scare cautious captains away from an area and as a baited trap for overly aggressive captains to charge into. Correctly recognizing which it is, while in the right ship can lead to rewarding action.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,390 battles

Don't sit broadside in smoke screens. Good DD captains will launch torp spreads at enemy smoke in an attempt to fish for a kill/chase you off point. As an addition to this, launch torp spreads at enemy smoke, to fish for a DD kill and/or force them off point.

^ Genius think he is invisible and invincible, yet got torped in the next sec in every round.

Super Tester
304 posts
2,010 battles

Don't sit broadside in smoke screens. Good DD captains will launch torp spreads at enemy smoke in an attempt to fish for a kill/chase you off point. As an addition to this, launch torp spreads at enemy smoke, to fish for a DD kill and/or force them off point.

^ Genius think he is invisible and invincible, yet got torped in the next sec in every round.

Entirely agree...!!! :teethhappy:

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Got many DD kills in Ranked this way.

Unfortunately, sometimes the guys doing this are on your team too.

Another danger with sitting in smoke is you forfeit any escape plan if the enemy force decides to close in. Once the smoke is gone there's no running away.

Smoke should be used to mask your retreat. Sitting in smoke should only be a last ditch tactic when all other options are exhausted.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Got many DD kills in Ranked this way.

Unfortunately, sometimes the guys doing this are on your team too.

Another danger with sitting in smoke is you forfeit any escape plan if the enemy force decides to close in. Once the smoke is gone there's no running away.

Smoke should be used to mask your retreat. Sitting in smoke should only be a last ditch tactic when all other options are exhausted.

Smoke can als use to lure Cruiser to close in and and give DDs opportunity to do close range torpedoes, but in case its have sonar ur dead :trollface: 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

never ever ever split up your team, if anyone says "hey, i'll just cap that side and be right back", stop him at all costs, he will die. put  all your forces into ONE wave, capture one point(hopefully picking off the poor bastard who wanted to cap from the other side) and push on to the next cap point. splinting off will mean death, i repeat, will mean death

P.S.  best ships to do rank in is 1.amagi 2.benson 3.fubuki 4.morgami 5.north Carolina. 

Beta Tester
93 posts
2,454 battles

The biggest worry you'll have is people who dont PTFO!

This stuffs you in a normal game, but in a ranked with only 6 teammates, and two idiots chase a dd to the edge of the map? Ur boned.

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,475 battles

never ever ever split up your team, if anyone says "hey, i'll just cap that side and be right back", stop him at all costs, he will die. put  all your forces into ONE wave, capture one point(hopefully picking off the poor bastard who wanted to cap from the other side) and push on to the next cap point. splinting off will mean death, i repeat, will mean death

P.S.  best ships to do rank in is 1.amagi 2.benson 3.fubuki 4.morgami 5.north Carolina. 

I`m afraid that is not true.

Your team should send at least 1DD and 1CA (preferably IJN CAs for their decent concealment) or 2DDs if you have 3 or more DDs on your team to the "minor" cap area for scouting and delaying enemy capping.

WIthout any argument, the best ships for ranked are Tirpitz, Atago and Benson. Amagi, Mogami and Fubuki are acceptable, others are just plain inferior in many ways.

And you CAs out there, DON`T FORGET TO BRING YOUR HYDROACOUSTICS TO RANKED.

I makes things a lot more easier for you and your teammates, also you don`t need AA barrage in ranked.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,390 battles

Your team should send at least 1DD and 1CA (preferably IJN CAs for their decent concealment) or 2DDs if you have 3 or more DDs on your team to the "minor" cap area for scouting and delaying enemy capping.

WIthout any argument, the best ships for ranked are Tirpitz, Atago and Benson. Amagi, Mogami and Fubuki are acceptable, others are just plain inferior in many ways.

I makes things a lot more easier for you and your teammates, also you don`t need AA barrage in ranked.

Back to Season 2, Barrage was still has some uses in certain map...

But now, SONAR FTW

406 posts
6,287 battles

I only send a DD to ghost cap if we have a DD advantage (ie we have 3 they have 2) sending a CA is just asking to for them to be sunk.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

Im a battleship guy. in my game we always ask where to cap first, then cruise as a fleet (the one who cruise alone surely the first one to be sunk). Tank or take the damage of the enemy ships so stay close as possible but not too close for the enemy torpedo run (atleast your inside the fleet formation). Always ready he shell if enemy dd came so can reduce its life or sink to to protect you fleet and to stop enemy intended capture. If ur team is too scared, lead the fleet but not to far so ur team will follow also. In a nutshell, bb should support and guard the fleet with its long range and powerful strike. I dont know about other class cuz im only using bb in ranked battles

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,475 battles

I only send a DD to ghost cap if we have a DD advantage (ie we have 3 they have 2) sending a CA is just asking to for them to be sunk.

Well thats the players problem. Don`t tell me you can`t stay hidden when your detection range is around 9.5km

When things are not on your side, hold your fire and turn around.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Well thats the players problem. Don`t tell me you can`t stay hidden when your detection range is around 9.5km

Yea i can cap with my Tashkent even i get spotted (if i not firing peoples tend to ignore me lol) duty of DD player is to cap by any means :D:D:D

406 posts
6,287 battles

I play Battleships - I WISH my detection range was 9.5 Km.....

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,475 battles

I play Battleships - I WISH my detection range was 9.5 Km.....

When did BBs pop in to our conversation?  Neither of us mentioned anything about BBs.

You`ve got to write it down to share your thoughts.

BBs should follow the majority of the team, stick together and concentrate fire on the same target.

If you`re taking too much damage and need to repair, face forward and ask for smoke.

A 'not so bad' Benson player should be able to buy some time for you.

406 posts
6,287 battles

When did BBs pop in to our conversation?  Neither of us mentioned anything about BBs.

You`ve got to write it down to share your thoughts.

BBs should follow the majority of the team, stick together and concentrate fire on the same target.

If you`re taking too much damage and need to repair, face forward and ask for smoke.

A 'not so bad' Benson player should be able to buy some time for you.

I think you misunderstood what I said originally - I said "I only send a DD etc" - not that I was playing a DD and went to ghost cap a flag - in this case I meant that I ask one of the players on the team who IS in a DD to ghost cap if  we have a DD advantage - but I remain in my Battleship.

Sign in to follow this