You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HenryCrun

Why I have come to really enjoy WoWs.

50 comments in this topic

219 posts
3,348 battles

I've been around computers and computer games since 1986 and was part-owner in a computer games shop back between 1992 and 1998, so I have more than a casual acquaintance with games and sims.

There have been a lot of favourites over the years, mostly simulations of one genre or another, and some of those have followed me from computer upgrade to computer upgrade.

But none of them, not one, has got under my skin so quickly and so deeply as World of Warships.

I kept asking myself ... why? What is it about this game that has grabbed me so strongly?

Well, I've narrowed it down to several things which for me are standouts.

Not in any specific order....just as they came to my mind:-

1. The ability to have a quick game, doing away with the need to sit at the computer for ages just to complete any one scenario or battle.

2. The 3D models themselves. For an old plastic kit modeller, this is like having my 1:144 scale ship models come to life. They are beautifully detailed and are a credit to the creative team.

3. The environments in which we battle. They are beautiful (except for "Ocean"...which is necessary, I know. Very few sea battles occurred within sight of land). Again, credit to the artists and creative team for  

giving us such great arenas.

4. The modelling of the sea itself - the colours, the motion, the wakes left behind the ships, the explosions in the water. A wonderful environment beautifully executed.

5. The sounds. Fantastic! There is one engine sound which gives me goosebumps and its the low frequency "thump-thump-thump" of what could only be a reciprocating engine, not steam turbine. All the other sounds are done so well too.

6. The little details......fire extinguishers on the ships; life-buoys; smoke from the homes on the islands; the rainbow colours of the oil scum when a ship sinks.....and so on. Too many to recall them all.

It is a long time since I have had late night after late night playing a computer game, finding it hard to tear myself away from the damned thing! :)

But I love the fact that my enthusiasm, at my age, has been regenerated by what on the surface is such a simple format.......a 21st. century version of the old graph-paper and pencil "Battleships".

I take my hat off to you, WG; you have given an oldie a new reason for getting up in the mornings! :D

70 posts
4,674 battles

Yeah it's ok just a shame with how good the ships look that you cannot use proper Anti-Aliasing on them.  The jaggy lines make me feel like I am playing this on a console at least you can use FXAA but still does not take away the jaggies.

248 posts

awww. such a nice story!!.

i think it will definitely attract a lot of older boys in the long run,. ex-navy and the like.

the game has a slower pace that suits patience [i'm in my 40's]

for interests sake,

search on youtube for "shirley curry skyrim"

endlessly charming and entertaining.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

i think it will definitely attract a lot of older boys in the long run,. ex-navy and the like.

there are a few of us around lol

219 posts
3,348 battles

I'm in my 70s.

892 posts
7,853 battles

I've been around computers and computer games since 1986 and was part-owner in a computer games shop back between 1992 and 1998, so I have more than a casual acquaintance with games and sims.

There have been a lot of favourites over the years, mostly simulations of one genre or another, and some of those have followed me from computer upgrade to computer upgrade.

But none of them, not one, has got under my skin so quickly and so deeply as World of Warships.

I kept asking myself ... why? What is it about this game that has grabbed me so strongly?

Well, I've narrowed it down to several things which for me are standouts.

Not in any specific order....just as they came to my mind:-

1. The ability to have a quick game, doing away with the need to sit at the computer for ages just to complete any one scenario or battle.

2. The 3D models themselves. For an old plastic kit modeller, this is like having my 1:144 scale ship models come to life. They are beautifully detailed and are a credit to the creative team.

3. The environments in which we battle. They are beautiful (except for "Ocean"...which is necessary, I know. Very few sea battles occurred within sight of land). Again, credit to the artists and creative team for 

giving us such great arenas.

4. The modelling of the sea itself - the colours, the motion, the wakes left behind the ships, the explosions in the water. A wonderful environment beautifully executed.

5. The sounds. Fantastic! There is one engine sound which gives me goosebumps and its the low frequency "thump-thump-thump" of what could only be a reciprocating engine, not steam turbine. All the other sounds are done so well too.

6. The little details......fire extinguishers on the ships; life-buoys; smoke from the homes on the islands; the rainbow colours of the oil scum when a ship sinks.....and so on. Too many to recall them all.

It is a long time since I have had late night after late night playing a computer game, finding it hard to tear myself away from the damned thing! :)

But I love the fact that my enthusiasm, at my age, has been regenerated by what on the surface is such a simple format.......a 21st. century version of the old graph-paper and pencil "Battleships".

I take my hat off to you, WG; you have given an oldie a new reason for getting up in the mornings! :D

You're going to turn into a WoWs addict soon. I know because it's turned me into one.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Delightful! :)

Great to see that we oldies are able to enjoy what current technology has to offer.

And as for the other bloke's comment about jaggies....he hasn't played "Pong" on a B&W TV set! :D

219 posts
3,348 battles

You're going to turn into a WoWs addict soon. I know because it's turned me into one.

Seriously, if I could shake the hand of one of the WG guys I would be delighted to do so.

I have a friend in the USA who is roughly the same age as I am.

He is an ex-Marine and is as engrossed in this game as I am and has become addicted to it...as I have already! :D

The thing is, neither of us give a damn about high scores or being the best of the team or awards; we just enjoy the game for what it offers.

In fact, we both play 90%+ of our games in Co-op.

Edited by HenryCrun

892 posts
7,853 battles

Seriously, if I could shake the hand of one of the WG guys I would be delighted to do so.

I have a friend in the USA who is roughly the same age as I am.

He is an ex-Marine and is as engrossed in this game as I am and has become addicted to it...as I have already! :D

The thing is, neither of us give a damn about high scores or being the best of the team or awards; we just enjoy the game for what it offers.

In fact, we both play 90%+ of our games in Co-op.

Time to consider playing Random battles. It's buckets more fun to PvP compared to PvE and FUN is the key word!

219 posts
3,348 battles

Time to consider playing Random battles. It's buckets more fun to PvP compared to PvE and FUN is the key word!

Nope...neither of us like the overly-competitive nature of the PvP battles, much preferring the laid-back feel of PvE.

Horses for courses....and we are old horses! :D

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Nope...neither of us like the overly-competitive nature of the PvP battles, much preferring the laid-back feel of PvE.

I will never understand the feeling of old horses :trollface:

892 posts
7,853 battles

Technically, I'm an old horse too...or at least, getting there:ohmy:

219 posts
3,348 battles

I will never understand the feeling of old horses :trollface:

I have no idea what age you are now but, if you are in your twenties or thirties - and you don't die beforehand - then you WILL understand the feeling of "old horses", believe me. :)

(It is an English expression.)

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I have no idea what age you are now but, if you are in your twenties or thirties - and you don't die beforehand - then you WILL understand the feeling of "old horses", believe me. :)

(It is an English expression.)

I guess i will understand it some days but my attitude toward this kind of things kinda difference so time will tell if my attitude still stand or not :trollface: 

219 posts
3,348 battles

Yes, and married to Minnie Bannister.

Deep down, we are all Goons.

NO!

This is what many folk who are not dyed-in-the-wool Goons fans from the word 'go' don't appreciate: Henry and Minnie are not married!!

They live in sin! :D

But yes....not even deep down...we all have a Goonish part of our personal character.

God bless Milligan, Secombe and Sellers.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

NO!

This is what many folk who are not dyed-in-the-wool Goons fans from the word 'go' don't appreciate: Henry and Minnie are not married!!

They live in sin! :D

But yes....not even deep down...we all have a Goonish part of our personal character.

God bless Milligan, Secombe and Sellers.

Live in sin??

I wonder, how did the BBC ever let that pass through their moral censorship?

580 posts
1,587 battles

for interests sake,

Holey Moley... Is she for real!!?? This is like the world's coolest grandma!!!! She's so sweet while hacking down mobs and sh*t... :teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy: and she's packing FO4 and ARK Survival... dayummmmmmm...
Edited by Kreigg

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

This... is so darn true.....

i feel you 

Edited by XP_On

70 posts
4,674 battles

Delightful! :)

Great to see that we oldies are able to enjoy what current technology has to offer.

And as for the other bloke's comment about jaggies....he hasn't played "Pong" on a B&W TV set! :D

How do you know I have not played pong on a b&w tv? I've also played on green screen cga etc used cartridges, tape drives, floppy disk.  I've owned a car with drum brakes back then it does not mean expecting four wheel disc as the norm now is unreasonable.