You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaikoTaiko

Torpedo tips

23 comments in this topic

178 posts
2,306 battles

Hello again fellow captains! Recently I have researched and bought the IJN DD Fubuki and I am struggling make more of an impact in games. As you know most players in the later tiers have gotten better at dodging torpedoes. I am hoping to be able to get some tips to become a better IJN DD captain. Thanks in advance. :)

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Well, I'm 10k XP away from my Kagero so here's my 2 cents.

Upgrade your torps as a priority.

NEVER forget to turn off your AA.

If enemy has CV, DO NOT get caught out in the open near enemy ships where airplanes can keep you spotted and killed.

Depending on the map & mission objectives you have to consider four stragegies. Keep in mind that some situations call for more than one to be implemented.

1) Be a capper. Stay undetected and cap as much as you can and move from cap to cap. This draws enemy forces away from fighting to undo your work

2) Be a spammer. Stay out of range and fling as many 15km torpedoes down known/obvious transit lanes or to locations where enemy has massed. 

3) Be an ambusher. You need maps with terrain to hide behind. This can be a feast or famine strategy. Luck has a large share in your success.

4) Sneak behind enemy lines spamming torps and pick off low health enemies with guns. Keep in mind that the enemy team will NOT like this lol. Use smoke and speed boost only in dire emergencies.

Avoid engaging non-Japanese DD in gun battles one on one. Doing so will end very badly for you - especially if your opponent is of a higher tier.

Lastly, stay alive. A healthy DD at the end of the game can easily decide the battle.

EDIT: Lastly part II. It's also critically important to know the range that enemy ships and planes can spot you. If you want to live, always stay outside that range and undetected unless the situation calls for you to fire guns or AA.

Edited by Krieg

178 posts
2,306 battles

Thank you for your response Krieg. I'll keep those tips in mind. However is there any tips you can give me when it comes to increasing chances of a torpedo hit? I find that spamming torpedos from long range is a tad too dependant on luck. 

Edited by TaikoTaiko

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Thank you for your response Krieg. I'll keep those tips in mind. However is there any tips you can give me when it comes to increasing chances of a torpedo hit? I find that spamming torpedos from long range is a tad too dependant on luck. 

Spread your torpedo launch. Assuming you have 3 x 4-tube launchers and target's at your peak range of your torps, set wide torpedo salvo and don't fire same spot. The target might turn unexpectedly. Don't worry about the hit chance of torpedo at long range, 1 or 2 torpedo hits from long range is already an achievement lol :P

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Any spam attack is luck. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding you or themselves.

In fact, any long or medium range torp attack has a lot of luck involved.

To maximise hits on a specific target keep a few things in mind:

1. Targets with a low turn rate have a higher probability of hits & multiple hits.
  2. Ships that are constantly turning and/or changing speeds are not your ideal targets except at close range.
  3. Don't bother torping enemy DD's except at super close range. Much of this is true of most CA as well. 
  4. Choose targets that due to terrain, objective or the presence of other enemy ships, have to continue on a linear course.
  5. Stay with friendly ships as possible so you can get closer than would normally be wise if by yourself. Not all enemy captains will mark you as a priority target.
  6. Keeping all of the above in mind, choose wide firing arc vs narrow wisely. Sometimes it's better to get one hit than none at all. Also, in other situations why put one into him when you can do two or three?
Edited by Krieg

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Any spam attack is luck. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding you or themselves.

1. Targets with a low turn rate have a higher probability of hits & multiple hits.
  2. Ships that are constantly turning and/or changing speeds are not your ideal targets except at close range.
  3. Don't bother torping enemy DD's except at super close range. Much of this is true of most CA as well. 
  4. Choose targets that due to terrain, objective or the presence of other enemy ships, have to continue on a linear course.
  5. Stay with friendly ships as possible so you can get closer than would normally be wise if by yourself. Not all enemy captains will mark you as a priority target.
  6. Keeping all of the above in mind, choose wide firing arc vs narrow wisely. Sometimes it's better to get one hit than none at all. Also, in other situations why put one into him when you can do two or three?

You forget one more thing.

Aim at targets that doesn't look very bright. A bad player wouldn't turn as much as a good player would, and those are your only food. Not that those players would decide the battle, but lesser guns even on a BB or CA would help you team.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

It is, and that is where you learn to have eyes for those kind of people and only target them, because they are the only ones that your torps can reliably kill.

Not saying that torps doesn't kill others, but better players mess up less. Like they all say, "throw enough crap and some will stick". Same goes for torps, which is why Shimakaze is considered a pretty decent DD.

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

So the lead indicator is rigged then?

He probably means that you should create a big fan spread of torpedoes using the indicator as a reference. So with 3 launchers maybe aim 1 right on the indicator and the other 2 slightly to the left and the right of the indicator. Since a good amount of higher tier players will make course adjustments this gives you a higher chance to land a few torpedoes rather than missing a whole salvo :P.
Edited by EnochIsHere

Super Tester
1,779 posts
323 battles

On higher tier matches, it doesn't really matter anymore if you hit anything with your torpedoes (for IJN DD's)

Denying an area is one way, and just the mere presence of your ship on that area is enough to scare enemies, though it won't work 100% at the time lol~

but if you're eager in hitting something, trying hiding behind an island (at the same time you should also know where your target is) at least with that you have a 70% - 90% chance of hitting your target :D

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

You won't cover your base repair fee if you don't hit anything. Cap increases it, but you wouldn't be capping much with soviet and USN DDs around.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

As someone who has been playing DD alot, you first have to understand, the longer your torpedo's range (to target) is, the higher the margin of error for it to miss, due to how long it takes to travel that distance, even a slight change in direction or speed of the target can throw off your torpedoes' aim.

Good tactics to use for long range torpedo "sniping" is to find isolated battleships / cruisers who are not engaged with anyone, if they aren't engaged and isn't alerted of your presence, their travel path is more predictable than someone who is actively turning to dodge enemy shells.

Try to predict (using the torpedo guide) the speed and bearing of the target and try to shoot your first salvo slightly behind the target and your second salvo slightly ahead (overlapping) the torpedo aim guide, this is so when your target sees the incoming torpedoes and tries to turn away to evade, he might get hit by the first salvo, if he tries to turn towards the first salvo, the second salvo might hit. I use might cause shooting at anything over 10km is a matter of luck (or the enemy is so dumb he doesn't evade it).

Another good tactic is "Island Sniping", predicting the enemy's movements and using the island to block LoS of the torpedoes, so when the target comes around the island, he would have spotted the torpedoes too late.

1,162 posts

He probably means that you should create a big fan spread of torpedoes using the indicator as a reference. So with 3 launchers maybe aim 1 right on the indicator and the other 2 slightly to the left and the right of the indicator. Since a good amount of higher tier players will make course adjustments this gives you a higher chance to land a few torpedoes rather than missing a whole salvo :P.

But how about point blank range? Even against the bot, the speed of the ship and the lead indicator feels wrong.

It raises my curiosity. :sceptic:

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

The bots are actually a good bit smarter than they used to be so they will dodge torpedoes. The indicator is entirely dependent on the enemy's current speed and course so even at point blank range you'll still need to adjust for the enemy's turns or changes in speed. I love playing low tier USN destroyers in point blank range, 12 torpedoes total from both sides is just pure fun :D.

1,162 posts

The bots are actually a good bit smarter than they used to be so they will dodge torpedoes. The indicator is entirely dependent on the enemy's current speed and course so even at point blank range you'll still need to adjust for the enemy's turns or changes in speed. I love playing low tier USN destroyers in point blank range, 12 torpedoes total from both sides is just pure fun :D.

Well the BB bots actually broadside to me, so yeah...

Well I guess at least I not TK anyone accidentally, I using DDs on co-op anyways lel

Edited by RisaFujiyama

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I've found that if I watch my CV's attacks and try to time it so that my torps are arriving at about the same time, 1 of us will get a couple of good hits in ;)

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Thanks for the tips^^

tried it on my tier 7 Hatsuharu yesterday and well....torpedo fishing has some unexpected and amusing results

On the North map I was spamming my 6 torpedoes down all the narrow passageways and several minutes into the game got hit by a lucky torpedo which took out most of my health....I likewise spammed torpedoes into a smokescreen, not expecting much but, as luck would have it I nailed an opposite tier 9 Kagero and sank him. He was obviously trying to hide in the smoke and sitting stationary but, just got unlucky.

Unfortunately the fella got REAL SALTY and called me a hacker, cheat and just downright abusive lol, oh well

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Unfortunately the fella got REAL SALTY and called me a hacker, cheat and just downright abusive lol, oh well

Hahahaha I get that every now and the too. The other day it was an Amagi. I was in my North Carolina and did a max range shot at the start with AP. Double citadel hit. BOOM LOLz    :playing:

The odds of that happening gotta be stupidly high. :teethhappy:

32 posts
1,242 battles

Well, I'm 10k XP away from my Kagero so here's my 2 cents.

Upgrade your torps as a priority.

NEVER forget to turn off your AA.

If enemy has CV, DO NOT get caught out in the open near enemy ships where airplanes can keep you spotted and killed.

Depending on the map & mission objectives you have to consider four stragegies. Keep in mind that some situations call for more than one to be implemented.

1) Be a capper. Stay undetected and cap as much as you can and move from cap to cap. This draws enemy forces away from fighting to undo your work

2) Be a spammer. Stay out of range and fling as many 15km torpedoes down known/obvious transit lanes or to locations where enemy has massed. 

3) Be an ambusher. You need maps with terrain to hide behind. This can be a feast or famine strategy. Luck has a large share in your success.

4) Sneak behind enemy lines spamming torps and pick off low health enemies with guns. Keep in mind that the enemy team will NOT like this lol. Use smoke and speed boost only in dire emergencies.

Avoid engaging non-Japanese DD in gun battles one on one. Doing so will end very badly for you - especially if your opponent is of a higher tier.

Lastly, stay alive. A healthy DD at the end of the game can easily decide the battle.

EDIT: Lastly part II. It's also critically important to know the range that enemy ships and planes can spot you. If you want to live, always stay outside that range and undetected unless the situation calls for you to fire guns or AA.

I feel that I need to correct a few of these points

1. Depending on the range of your AA, often you can leave them on. (ie: Mutsuki is detectable by air at 3.1km, and AA fires at 3.0km, therefore you will have already been detected prior to AA guns firing) You do need to turn them off if you pop smoke though.

2. Fast torps are better than long range torps, so be selective in your upgrades. Fast torps are significantly harder to dodge.

3. Area denial is a legitimate use of torpedoes, however if you expect a target may pop up, you will normally want to wait and target the torpedoes properly, rather than blindly shoot.

4. IJN DD's perform well in open sea, as long as you don't fire your main battery. The only thing you need to be careful of is other DD's. Get the "Situation Awareness" captain skill, so you know when you are detected, and know the detection ranges of your ship. (ie: Minekaze is detected at 6km, but torps fire 7km, so you want to be between 6 and 7km from your target so you can hit him and he can't even see you)

5. Try to stay undetected as long as possible. Even a lazy BB driver will alter course if he sees a DD nearby.

6. Don't launch torpedoes long range (above 5km) if the target is driving away from you. Generally you should be ahead of his beam (ie: if you draw a line cutting the enemys ship into a "front half" and a "back half", and keep that line going to the horizon, then you are in the area with the front half of his ship)

7. Use smoke and speed boost as required. Superintendent is a handy captain skill. Remember how smoke works - it creates a circle of smoke around your ship every few seconds, and if you are moving too fast you will drive outside of that circle and will be spotted before the next circle of smoke is created. Speed boost can be used aggressively, for example if you want to close the range to a BB or CV quickly, before they have a chance to turn their guns. 

8. When you have been spotted and want to press the attacks, point your bow directly at them to present the smallest target possible. Wait until they fire before you turn, as you will have about 30 seconds before they finish reloading (unless they trickle fire)

I agree with all of these points.

178 posts
2,306 battles

Regarding the speed of the torpedos, I find that I am getting better results with the slower 15 km torps. These days I look for blobs of ships travelling roughly in the same direction and fire off my salvos at about 9 to 10 km. I still fail miserably at torping single targets that are not battleships though. Reasonable since cruiser's are more agile. 

Edit: I'm on the Fubuki at the moment.

Edited by TaikoTaiko