You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Trojan63

Game fixes for better, fairer and balanced matches

25 comments in this topic

753 posts
8,965 battles

These are just some observations and suggestions from me to make this game even more enjoyable and at times less frustrating. The listing is in no order of importance but nonetheless unimportant.

1. Match making, Undoubtedly this has been discussed many times but I cannot see any reason for it not to be limited to +/- 1 tier for every match. Perhaps player numbers and waiting times are the reason for it's current state but I would rather longer waiting times or less ships per team if it meant I was not fighting players 2, and on occasions, 3 tiers above me.

Sure on rare matches I do actually have a decent match when totally out classed by firepower and amour but it's those countless matches in between those which rarely sees me venture past tier 4 where the match making is seldom blown out.

2. Balanced teams. By this I mean matches where 1 team has 3 DD's while the other has 1 for example. If possible allocate the teams more evenly, not just in ship type but also in ship nationality as each nations ships have their own attributes and shortcomings ie range, detection, armor, maneuverability, plane load out etc.

3. Even starting grid for ships. Sometimes at the start of a match the ships are placed evenly in the direction of the oppositions but at times it results in either,

- You are placed way ahead of the rest of the team or either way behind (map dependent).

- All DD's are placed on one extremity of a flank as are the opposing DD's for example.

- You and perhaps 2 other ships are placed at one extreme flank while the remainder of your team are centralized and on the other flank.

An even spread of ship types across a uniformed starting line would create less jockeying for position and a more coherent approach to the mission ahead. CV's excepted although at times I have seen them placed almost in range of the enemy at the start causing them to do frantic dash to safety.

4. Encouragement of mission objectives. Simply make capturing zones and defending zones more lucrative reward wise and the loss of CV's more detrimental to the overall team score.

I am not a huge CV player but countless times I have seen them left to defend for themselves or 4 team mates chasing one to the far reaches of the map while the enemy simply remains central and caps resulting in a loss.

​By making the capture of zones then the defense of those captured zones more rewarding and the expensive loss of a CV I believe would make more players concerned about the mission objectives and their currently neglected team members rather than trying for personal gain.

Absolutely loving this game and the players involved.

​Anyone's constructive and additional thoughts about general game play are encouraged and welcomed. 

Beta Tester
39 posts
2,123 battles

I absolutely agree with these points. Furthermore I think the the problems with matchmaking are due to the lack of players at certain times. WG has tried to balance waiting times vs matchmaking which I think is causing the issues we are having with the matching system. I find it ridiculous when I am on a team of 3 Tirpitz against a team of 2 Yamato's and a Montana and another random tier IX BB. I constantly roll my eyes when I am placed into a match on Ocean (Can we just remove Ocean? What a pointless map) in my mid-tier US BB against Japanese BB's. 

On point 4 yes. But also there needs to be an enforced incentive for CV's to be protected. You cannot rely on random players to work together with no carrot to dangle in front of them to encourage teamplay. And at this time teamplay has become non-existent because of the Arpeggio objectives mess.

Even so I do not want the MM system to completely sanitize matchups as that would remove the random element and make the matches less interesting.

Finally playing tier IX and X is almost completely pointless without some sort of Clan Wars system to give a reason to play these loss making machines. And we probably won't get any form of ship Clan Wars until more ship trees are added to the game.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I agree with you most of the point but since most of them been address to developer countless times i doubt that somethings will change :D:D:D

Can we just remove Ocean? What a pointless map

I did try to address that in other topic (here link: http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11152-ocean-map-rotation-reduced-and-only-in-battle-tiers-10-up/) but seem like many peoples love the ocean and gang me up :D:D:D

Anyways i happy with Ocean map so far because im DDs player and can spam torpedoes all day long in that map:trollface:

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I hate those DD torp spammers in Ocean map especially at higher tiers:angry:

Since most of peoples i have discussed with says the map its fine and is your fault that cannot adept to the map i guess they not gonna remove it even the map is obvious giving advantage to the DDs and some other ships :trollface: 

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

But ocean is literally the most balanced map in the game. 

Well if we have only one type of ship that should be fine :D:D:D

But anyways i will try not to talk about ocean here since is not the topic that OP want to talk about :trollface:

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

54 posts
7,230 battles

These are just some observations and suggestions from me to make this game even more enjoyable and at times less frustrating. The listing is in no order of importance but nonetheless unimportant.

1. Match making, Undoubtedly this has been discussed many times but I cannot see any reason for it not to be limited to +/- 1 tier for every match. Perhaps player numbers and waiting times are the reason for it's current state but I would rather longer waiting times or less ships per team if it meant I was not fighting players 2, and on occasions, 3 tiers above me.

Sure on rare matches I do actually have a decent match when totally out classed by firepower and amour but it's those countless matches in between those which rarely sees me venture past tier 4 where the match making is seldom blown out.

2. Balanced teams. By this I mean matches where 1 team has 3 DD's while the other has 1 for example. If possible allocate the teams more evenly, not just in ship type but also in ship nationality as each nations ships have their own attributes and shortcomings ie range, detection, armor, maneuverability, plane load out etc.

3. Even starting grid for ships. Sometimes at the start of a match the ships are placed evenly in the direction of the oppositions but at times it results in either,

- You are placed way ahead of the rest of the team or either way behind (map dependent).

- All DD's are placed on one extremity of a flank as are the opposing DD's for example.

- You and perhaps 2 other ships are placed at one extreme flank while the remainder of your team are centralized and on the other flank.

An even spread of ship types across a uniformed starting line would create less jockeying for position and a more coherent approach to the mission ahead. CV's excepted although at times I have seen them placed almost in range of the enemy at the start causing them to do frantic dash to safety.

4. Encouragement of mission objectives. Simply make capturing zones and defending zones more lucrative reward wise and the loss of CV's more detrimental to the overall team score.

I am not a huge CV player but countless times I have seen them left to defend for themselves or 4 team mates chasing one to the far reaches of the map while the enemy simply remains central and caps resulting in a loss.

​By making the capture of zones then the defense of those captured zones more rewarding and the expensive loss of a CV I believe would make more players concerned about the mission objectives and their currently neglected team members rather than trying for personal gain.

​Anyone's constructive and additional thoughts about general game play are encouraged and welcomed. 

my views on the OP's points (which most probably don't agree with);

1. I disagree. I don't mind the spread at the moment. Could MM be improved,,,,, yes, there are some classes that maybe should be tightened up (mid tier cv against high tier CA's and BB's for example usually results in no chance to do damage for the cv, additionally, like in point 2, which is really also an MM issue, divisions seem to be treated strangely on occasion unless they're all the same tier and type of ship, resulting in weird match-ups.

2. Agree

3. Agree to some extent, but one of the last patches seemed to fix most of this

4. Here's where I see a problem. While I agree IN PRINCIPAL to what you say, you need to look at the laws of unintended consequences to the changes you propose. Right now, with the flow of changes in the last few patches, the game has been skewed massively towards a single class at the expense of some of the others, that class being DD, to the point you often see matches (excluding the first few days of the ARP missions) where half of each team are dd's because they're the easiest class to get a decent score if your not stupid/unlucky, even for below average players. Changes I see contributing to this are below (and I'm not saying I have a problem with all of these, just pointing out the consequences);

a. All the CV nerf's and changes (some aren't nerfs per see, but make them less fun to play, and I won't go into any of them here), mean there are a lot less games where a cv is present, and this makes it easier for dd's to move around and set up

b. Change to larger ships turning makes it easier to hit with torps at longer ranges (which also encourages more blind firing I feel, but that's a different matter)

c. Current emphasis on points for capture of bases (the main one pertaining to your post). While other classes get this as well, we all know that most of it's going to dd's who dart off and hide in a cap to claim it, or go round and get them later in the match when there's less opposition, often solo, so they get all the reward to themselves, rather than splitting it which is what happens most of the time with the other classes.

There are other factors also helping towards this, but they're the main ones I can remember at the moment. My point being that while it SOUNDS good to increase the cap capture score, implementing it in the first place has caused some negative, unintended (at least I HOPE unintended) gameplay, so you need to try to think things through more. A better suggestion in my opinion would be to reward more for a win, with possibly different types of win's rewarding more or less (ie the game records if it's a cap win, a points win or a kill win as is because it's displayed in the results screen, so maybe you leave kill win the same but double the cap or points win. Not saying to do that, but just giving an example. It'd encourage that play style but not as much of a particular type of class, as it's distributed to the whole winning team, and it also encourages winning more, which in turn encourages team work to help win. not that it'll always happen, but even a small increase is a gain :) )

Edited by Bacca49

219 posts
3,348 battles

There's a very straightforward way to overcome all debate: Base every type of battle and the mix of ships on an historical event - on naval skirmishes and battles which have occurred since the Russians were thrashed by the Japanese at Tsushima in 1905.

There are plenty to choose from between that year and 1946.

Edited by HenryCrun

Beta Tester
39 posts
2,123 battles

a. All the CV nerf's and changes (some aren't nerfs per see, but make them less fun to play, and I won't go into any of them here), mean there are a lot less games where a cv is present, and this makes it easier for dd's to move around and set up

:) )

I only started playing CV's seriously during the Arpeggio period. I actually achieved half of my DD kills using an Independence with 2 x HE, 1 x Torp configuration. I would like to see some form of spotting reward recognition for CV's. I find it ridiculous the WG devs have not added a spotting reward mechanic to the gameplay for CV's. It is a very simply solution to get more people to play that ship class and encourage them to spot DD's etc for their teammates.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I only started playing CV's seriously during the Arpeggio period. I actually achieved half of my DD kills using an Independence with 2 x HE, 1 x Torp configuration. I would like to see some form of spotting reward recognition for CV's. I find it ridiculous the WG devs have not added a spotting reward mechanic to the gameplay for CV's. It is a very simply solution to get more people to play that ship class and encourage them to spot DD's etc for their teammates.

Even i do agree with spotting reward system but in case there a CV in the game they going to get spotting reward most of the time (since CVs have planes that control able and able to spot entire enemy team from the beginning.

So may be CVs might have to receive less reward for this mechanism otherwise CVs going to get tons of EXP easily :D:D:D

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Even i do agree with spotting reward system but in case there a CV in the game they going to get spotting reward most of the time (since CVs have planes that control able and able to spot entire enemy team from the beginning.

So may be CVs might have to receive less reward for this mechanism otherwise CVs going to get tons of EXP easily :D:D:D

but at least it reward CV player that know how to use thier Fighter ... not only eliminate enemy planes but just to spot for team too 

I saw many time that enemy DD sneak up in the back ... and 3-4 DD and cruiser waste time (and HP) to find and keep the DD spoting .... while CV Fighter just fly around his ship ... what the hell ?

so maybe extra bonus for spoting DD and torps but less for spoting BB ...

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

but at least it reward CV player that know how to use thier Fighter ... not only eliminate enemy planes but just to spot for team too 

I saw many time that enemy DD sneak up in the back ... and 3-4 DD and cruiser waste time (and HP) to find and keep the DD spoting .... while CV Fighter just fly around his ship ... what the hell ?

so maybe extra bonus for spoting DD and torps but less for spoting BB ...

In case there an extra EXP for spotting DDs then CV going to place their fighter on DDs and not cover the fleet also this might lead to the extinction of DD players because once fighter over you head nothing you can do.

And as myself DD player i going to stop playing it and back to my BBs if this extra bonus for spoting DDs implemented :D:D:D 

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

In case there an extra EXP for spotting DDs then CV going to place their fighter on DDs and not cover the fleet also this might lead to the extinction of DD players because once fighter over you head nothing you can do.

And as myself DD player i going to stop playing it and back to my BBs if this extra bonus for spoting DDs implemented :D:D:D 

Especially for IJN DDs which cannot rely on guns or AA, being permaspotted by a fighter squadron really sucks :D.
Edited by EnochIsHere

1,125 posts

don't ask too much, or they'll made a plane able to cap base  :teethhappy:

anyway, when I'm on DD and found out that other team has a bunch of other nation DD... that when I start to brake a sweat.

in that case, instead of going ahead to scout, I rather stick with CA.

I want them to make IJNDD gun are fast reload as other nation DD's gun (their gun are small caliber, yet longer reload... wonder why? is my crew are slacking off?)

i mean... 'load as fast' but has 'fewer' gun since IJNDD are focus on torpedoes ... it's balance isn't is?

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I want them to make IJNDD gun are fast reload as other nation DD's gun (their gun are small caliber, yet longer reload... wonder why? is my crew are slacking off?)

i mean... 'load as fast' but has 'fewer' gun since IJNDD are focus on torpedoes ... it's balance isn't is?

IJN have the same caliber as USN DDs (127mm) with better shell characteristics + better HE shell damage so it compensate with slower turning and reloading time, in fact IJN DDs didn't have disadvantage in term of gun dual if you know what you doing and use theses advantage correctly :D:D:D

In case you want to be more effective as the gunnery role use the Gunboat set-up then you will rekt havok other DDs :D:D:D

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

don't ask too much, or they'll made a plane able to cap base  :teethhappy:

anyway, when I'm on DD and found out that other team has a bunch of other nation DD... that when I start to brake a sweat.

in that case, instead of going ahead to scout, I rather stick with CA.

This is because:

USN= decent ROF, decent damage,decent torps, decent concealment but sub-orbital shells (jack of all trades DD)

Russian= High ROF, high shell velocity but poor torpedoes and concealment (originally intended as a DD hunter due to the prosecution speed of 42.5kts onwards but since the nerf, it has become light cruiser role with passive tactics)

IJN= Low ROF, but High Damage per salvo(despite of similar caliber with the USN, but hey it is a game, for balancing issues), Excellent torpedoes and concealment, perfect for ninja torps, capital ships dispersion or quick assassination (to some extent) againt other DD if able 

If lets say the IJN was to be buffed for its ROF due to the similar caliber as u mentioned from the USN, then that would mean reducing fire chance and raw damage from its guns, in other words, u have a USN DD with excellent torpedoes but with better guns.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

USN= decent ROF, decent damage,decent torps, decent concealment but sub-orbital shells (jack of all trades DD)

Most of your point are correct except that USN DDs are having highest ROF in the game, that why i be able to liberate any ships (within 10km or less..) with my HE rain and AP spammer :D:D:D

AMERICA LIBERTY BACON FREEDOM !!!!  :honoring:

753 posts
8,965 battles

Number 2 in my suggestions here really needs some serious consideration, just had a match where we had 2 DD's and the other team had 5 whilst our cruiser line up was 4 Aoba's pitied against 4 Clevelands.

I have also been in matches where one team has 2 Bogue's and the other 2 Hosho's.

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles

i really think there should be a reward for protecting CVs and BBs and spotting in my DD, now i'm not always the best player in my team, heck i dont even think that i do that good, but i always try to do what's best for the team. I often giving AA to CV at the start of the match, holding a line in A BB, or just spotting for the team in my DD. and it NEVER does me any good,

1. If i AA for the CV, i get negligible XP and credits, i would get more XP in my MK just by setting 2 fires then shooting down whole squadrons of planes, even if they are from top tiered ships like midway or hakuryu,

2. if i try to carry a line in a BB, it will just get me sunk with me doing less then 40,000-60,000 damage on average,

3. spotting in my DD isnt as dangerous as carrying a line in a BB, but it sure as heck wont net me in any credits either.

(i dont play CV myself but i rarely see anyone bothering to cover CVs, even just for the first wave)

so i'm just wondering why WG haven't implemented a reward system for HELPING. i know this game is still in it's "growing stages" but this is one problem that really needs to be addressed

(just ranting, still love this game)

69 posts
2,225 battles

Definitely agree with points one & two, although the exception in tier spread should be for DD & perhaps CV class. So many times I've been in tier 8 battles in my New Mexico & as it's so slow (even for a BB), short range guns it's a waste of time being there. It's one ship that really needs a buff. Also had plenty of battles where one side has many more DDs than the other. Other ship classes seems pretty even except for nation bias. It can be a real pain when you cop 3 of one nation ship type in one team like one recent battle we had 3 New Mex & they had 2 Fuso & a Kongo.

I would also like to see CVs only allowed one fighter squadron airborne at once. So many times, I see battles with fighters pretty much at each other & hardly a torp or bomb squadron do much. A bit pointless for CVs to spend most of game shooting other planes as you don't gain much exp for that.

None of these issues are deal breakers, but certainly lesson enjoyment of the game.

248 posts

rewards for protecting cv??

i think it should be the other way round.

cv's seem to pretty much not give a toss about ships

and are generally hunting score and the other cv.

they pretty much sit up the back and don't risk a lot as it is,

and it quite often takes your best CA just because they haven't got proper AA yet.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

People shouldn't be encouraged to stay at the back of the map with a CV to protect it.  It's bad play, and supporting bad play.  As a CV you should be just behind your BB's, which are then behind your CA/CL's, and that should provide all the air cover that CV needs.  All you're doing is taking a much needed ship out of the fight at the start of the battle, which is a vital stage of the match.

As for the point on capping, capturing and defending caps are worth a ton of xp, so there is a huge amount of incentive to cap and defend.  No change required.

I never really understand the complaints about the match maker.  Every time I look at the team list at the start of a battle I think I can win the game, regardless of match up and whether I am top or bottom tier.  Not only that, you get just as many games where you are top tier as bottom tier, it all balances out at the end.  The way I look at it, when I'm bottom tier and the other team has plenty of ships that can counter mine, it provides more of a challenge, which means more satisfaction when you overcome the challenge and win.  I'll also adjust my play according to what I'm up against, to maximise my chances of winning.

In the end, individual player skill is far more important to the outcome of the battle than any input the match maker has.  If you're smart enough you'll find a way to win more often than not.

[151ST]
1,012 posts
4,505 battles

People shouldn't be encouraged to stay at the back of the map with a CV to protect it.  It's bad play, and supporting bad play.  As a CV you should be just behind your BB's, which are then behind your CA/CL's, and that should provide all the air cover that CV needs.  All you're doing is taking a much needed ship out of the fight at the start of the battle, which is a vital stage of the match.

As for the point on capping, capturing and defending caps are worth a ton of xp, so there is a huge amount of incentive to cap and defend.  No change required.

I never really understand the complaints about the match maker.  Every time I look at the team list at the start of a battle I think I can win the game, regardless of match up and whether I am top or bottom tier.  Not only that, you get just as many games where you are top tier as bottom tier, it all balances out at the end.  The way I look at it, when I'm bottom tier and the other team has plenty of ships that can counter mine, it provides more of a challenge, which means more satisfaction when you overcome the challenge and win.  I'll also adjust my play according to what I'm up against, to maximise my chances of winning.

In the end, individual player skill is far more important to the outcome of the battle than any input the match maker has.  If you're smart enough you'll find a way to win more often than not.

This...

I get screamed at all the time because I'm moving with the fleet, which I find ironic 'you'll get killed...'

No I won't, I know my detection range...