You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wolvenworks

Replays!

7 comments in this topic

80 posts
455 battles
Well, we have it in WoT. I don't see a reason why we CAN'T have it in WoWS. That way I can have better proof for bragging rights beyond a screenie

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

The game does have a replay mode, however you need to manually activate it with a few small tweaks in an XML file.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/398/20/enabling-replays-in-world-of-warships-closed-beta

Edited by benlisquare

36 posts
2,915 battles

I wish WG would fix the backwards compatibility problem with replays.  It's the same for all their products and it's annoying having to run different versions of the client just to watch old replays.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I wish WG would fix the backwards compatibility problem with replays.  It's the same for all their products and it's annoying having to run different versions of the client just to watch old replays.

It is not something that can be fixed. Unlike videos, replays do not record the game frame by frame. Replay files are like scripts which is played by the client and uses the assets (models, textures, etc) of the client. Therefore, instructions from an older client often will not work on the latest client as it does not recognize them any more, while assets frequently change too so there may be assets which were discarded or have changed appearance. Retaining the ability to read older replays is highly impractical as the game continuously evolves while retaining discontinued assets will bloat the client size multiple times its current size.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Oh I fully understand the way replays work, Amade, but WG could do something about it by having web based virtual machines running legacy versions of the clients so we can watch old replays.

It's an interesting idea. Similarly, there was a WoT fansite that took replays and automatically converted them into videos which was then uploaded into youtube. Of course, the site owner had to keep all past versions of the client (including all regions and Public/Common Test) to make it work. IIRC the site is no longer running now, as I think the overhead was too much for him.

80 posts
455 battles

The game does have a replay mode, however you need to manually activate it with a few small tweaks in an XML file.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/398/20/enabling-replays-in-world-of-warships-closed-beta

I was thinking of a more solid presence than an XML edit

Also, in WOT there is a mod to manage replays (and a choice to upload them to wotreplays). since WoWS represents what's the most high-tech and new from WG, wouldn't this be a chance to include something like a replay manager too when a more formal Replay system comes to WOWS?

Edited by Wolvenworks