You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Cronicash

Whats the point of having AA?

94 comments in this topic

49 posts
2,336 battles

Got a battleship (north Carolina) with level 90 "AA Defense + perks" yet i still get torped at extreme close range by every last one ("not one plane shot down after being in rage for nearly 10 seconds") of the slowest marlins...

Loose 3 of 5 games (random matches) because i die by this close range BS. 

I thought you guys were supposed to be historically accurate? (IRL launch 1,500-2000 yards)

Quote wiki: Tactical doctrine determined in 1938 that the Type 91 aerial torpedo should be released at a distance of 3,300 feet (1,000 m) from the target.[24] As well, the Japanese Navy developed night attack and massed day attack doctrine, and coordinated aerial torpedo attacks between land- and carrier-based torpedo bombers.[24]

Edited by Cronicash

621 posts
2,289 battles

I thought you guys were supposed to be historically accurate? 

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11856-psa-this-game-isnt-meant-to-be-realistic/

I rest my case

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

When you are playing high tier battles with a battleship, stick close to friendly cruisers. While in lower tiers it is much easier to dodge air-dropped torpedoes, it is much more difficult in higher tiers since the planes move much more faster. Your survival depends on friendly cruisers.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

So why my North Carolina able to get the highest 54 planes shot down with average of 10.45 planes per battle ?

Maybe my Carolina better than you ? or you forget to maneuver and sitting still to just get rekt by planes :trollface:?  

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

87 posts
2,742 battles

Got a battleship (north Carolina) with level 90 "AA Defense + perks" yet i still get torped at extreme close range by every last one ("not one plane shot down after being in rage for nearly 10 seconds") of the slowest marlins...

I thought you guys were supposed to be historically accurate? (IRL launch 1,500-2000 yards)

Quote wiki: Tactical doctrine determined in 1938 that the Type 91 aerial torpedo should be released at a distance of 3,300 feet (1,000 m) from the target.[24] As well, the Japanese Navy developed night attack and massed day attack doctrine, and coordinated aerial torpedo attacks between land- and carrier-based torpedo bombers.[24]

ignore realistic because it's game . (in realistic main battery fire has chance to hit target lower than 10%. I  think this boring if it's in the game)

use game mechanic, cooperate with teammate is better. (and need some lucky to get good teammate)

u still has lucky more than me. I used to lost 10+ times in a row.  even i sunk 2-4 ships in 6-10 min from start battle or make enemy CV useless.

Edited by rattananen

125 posts
913 battles

your doctrine means nothing here. its a game, not a sim nor realistic

plus i bet youre playing the BB wrong

575 posts
5,354 battles

This could be easily fixed by giving BBs the same effect CAs have with their AA DCD (which extends out to their maximum AA range); however, for BBs with an AA rating of 50 - 75 or higher when planes come within 1.5km of the ship. For ships rating over 75 - 90 range effect extends out to 2.0km. Rating greater than 90 range extended out to 2.5km. If Captain has Advance fire training range increased by .5km.

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

I have both & play USN and IJN CV. If you play it, you will know that air bombing isn't that easy. Yes in a way could became so OP, but in some ways, it's very hard using any CV.

Torpedo damage from Torpedo Bomber are not that strong as DD torpedo. Missing 1 or 2 plane on bombing maneuver would result a little damage to BB.

Right now, I have Zuiho IJN CV Tier 5. When I try to target enemy BB New Mexico, it's need 3 to 4 bombing action. Because a perfect hit Torpedo bomber (4 torpedo hit) to New Mexico by Zuiho TB, only hurt them less than half HP bar.

If my Torpedo Bomber got downed 1 or more, the result are devastated to me. First, the bombing line would be wider, and second, even it hits, won't do much damage.

I always said to all players that playing all ship class would give you more insight and awareness of playing this game.

49 posts
2,336 battles

Still none of this answers my question.

You have 5 swordfish torp planes coming within a couple hundred meters and, they all launch and get away unscathed. 

Will try this focus fire (didn't even know you could do that cheers).

I have 

Upgrade AA guns modification 2 (20% firing range)

Basic fire training (+10% efficiency)

Advanced fire training (+20% firing range & +20% firing range defense)

How these planes get away with just on 66 actual AA guns onboard and max bofors range of 7.2km boggles me...

AI of the AA is like watching an autistic kid with party poppers...

amade: Most of the aircraft kills on a carrier would be from the fighters :D

219 posts
3,367 battles

As has been pounded into me over the past weeks, this game is a game and has no resemblance to realism or history whatsoever.

If you think of it as a fantasy FPS with the combatants cloaked in steel armour - which just happens to look like ships from the past - then you'll save tearing your hair out through frustration.

But that won't stop me complaining! :)

219 posts
3,367 battles

You have 5 swordfish torp planes coming within a couple hundred meters and, they all launch and get away unscathed. 

Will try this focus fire (didn't even know you could do that cheers).

The focus works well.....

Cleveland_28 aircraft.jpg

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

amade: Most of the aircraft kills on a carrier would be from the fighters :D

Nein, the ship in question doesn't carry any aircraft. It is in fact, a Farragut.

To use your AA effectively, it's best if you understand the game mechanics behind it.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Here's a ship with a lot less AA than your NC.

b5wxzAH.jpg

yeh but this doesn't prove a point. I have the ryujo, and if I'm lucky I get 1 torp hit per 3 battles. Usually my planes are shot down (TB and TpB) before they drop their load. So defeating a ryujo means very little. It's not that the enemy ships AA are exceptiional, it simply shows how poor the ryujo is. It is for air combat ONLY. And then, even then, if you shoot down all enemy planes, you get very little recognition for it.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

yeh but this doesn't prove a point. I have the ryujo, and if I'm lucky I get 1 torp hit per 3 battles. Usually my planes are shot down (TB and TpB) before they drop their load. So defeating a ryujo means very little. It's not that the enemy ships AA are exceptiional, it simply shows how poor the ryujo is. It is for air combat ONLY. And then, even then, if you shoot down all enemy planes, you get very little recognition for it.

The point is, a ship with a lot less AA than NC managed to shoot down 19 planes. See topic title, see OP's complaint of AA not shooting down planes.

The NC has so much AA it should have no trouble shooting down planes at all as long as the player uses priority target correctly and maneuvers to make sure the planes stay in the AA aura long enough.

49 posts
2,336 battles

I defo have enough AA. it just does not seem as effective even with focus (after a couple of games now).

I reckon the game mechanics are ditto on this part...

I can get way more kills from AA using atlanta with allot less AA and thats without usung its focus AA ability.

Larger ships with a higher likely hood of getting torped should have better AA.

Often i get taken out by two squads in one go before i have even seen another enemy ship. This makes little sense...