Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Icefyre

Hydroacoustic Search not penetrating smokescreens

6 comments in this topic

9 posts
1,669 battles

I've been playing cruisers a lot trying to do the ARP missions and using the Hydroacousitc Search consumable but it doesn't seem to be going through the smoke screens. I'm not sure if it was designed to do this or if the smokescreen is acting like solid cover when it comes to the sonar. The only thing I've been able to find on it was someone who complained that the text needs tweaking because it is unclear if the stats represent active or a boost to passive. It's annoying as hell when you activate the sonar and the DD can sit on the other side of the screen and continue to shoot at you but you still can't see it. I've also had the problem when they are sitting at a dead stop in the smokescreen and I am within 3.5km and they still don't show up.

Super Tester
630 posts
9,481 battles

At what range are you trying to use your sonar? Most sonars will increase your surface detection range in smoke from 2KM > 3.48KM (or was it 3KM), so anything within 3KM smokescreen or around an island will get spotted for you and your team, sonar also increases the range torpedoes get spotted as well, something like 2KM, I don't quite remember the range u can check ingame if u control click and mouse over your sonar.

The only other sonar that is different from the other sonars is the sonar on the german cruisers, their surface detection range extends out to 5KM and torpedo detection extends out to 3KM.

9 posts
1,669 battles

It's 3.48 for USA and I'm not sure about JPN, and 4.98 for DEU. I am fairly certain that I am within that range when I activate it but I could be wrong, but I have had time where I have been pretty much on top of them (1<km) and they still haven't shown up.

Super Tester
630 posts
9,481 battles

It's 3.48 for USA and I'm not sure about JPN, and 4.98 for DEU. I am fairly certain that I am within that range when I activate it but I could be wrong, but I have had time where I have been pretty much on top of them (1<km) and they still haven't shown up.

Seems odd, if you have replay file or screenshots to show that I would like to have a look as without the sonar on, any ship within 2KM of u in a smokescreen gets automatically detected.

Sign in to follow this