Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HenryCrun

Torpedo arming distance must be fixed!

34 comments in this topic

219 posts
3,348 battles

The distance travelled by a torpedo before it arms is utter bull#$%^@

I was running parallel to and within a few metres of the flank of a DD this afternoon when it launched a torp which exploded and sank me.

Totally ridiculous!!!!

Even allowing for the fact that the realism level in this game is scraping the bottom of the barrel, this needs to be attended to and an arming distance must be introduced.

Edited by HenryCrun

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

I was running parallel to and within a few metres of the flank of a DD this afternoon when it launched a torp which exploded and sank me.

Totally ridiculous!!!!

Even allowing for the fact that the realism level in this game is scraping the bottom of the barrel, this needs to be attended to and an arming distance must be introduced.

IF YOUR THAT CLOSE YOU DESERVE TO DIE

211 posts
9,928 battles

If this happened the other way around would you still be complaining?

There is a arming distance but as soon as they touch the water they're armed.

So, what is the average arming distance for a Destroyer launched torpedo then?

and on the subject of game vs reality, you need to take into account combat range has been scaled down to increase the action levels...

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

the arming distance is around 500m from the launching ship. Next time you are in a ship with torps, have a look at the aiming recticle, you will notice that the aiming system starts a short way from the ship, this is the arming distance.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

Totally ridiculous!!!!

Not wg fault that you cruise too close to a dd, also why did you? And this is a game, realism don't matter. After all, your guns fire with invisible crew and ships magically repaired/put out fire instantly so where's your realism now?

1,162 posts

Wait torps launched from ships are armed ASAP right? Except for plane's torps which need distance for it to be armed.

I thought it designed to be that way?

Because the speed of the launch from the launcher already give enough momentum for torps to be armed as soon it dives into the water. Meanwhile torps from planes need an arming distance since it dont have enough momentum to armed as quickly as torps launched from launcher. :hmm:

Edited by RisaFujiyama

211 posts
9,928 battles

Wait torps launched from ships are armed ASAP right? Except for plane's torps which need distance for it to be armed.

I thought it designed to be that way?

Because the speed of the launch from the launcher already give enough momentum for torps to be armed as soon it dives into the water. Meanwhile torps from planes need an arming distance since it dont have enough momentum to armed as quickly as torps launched from launcher. :hmm:

a gas propelled tube vs a plane capable of 200km/h? torpedo's dropped by a plane should have a lot more momentum when they hit the water

i'd assume they have a arming distance for safety reasons, a torpedo launched from a ship detonating in the tubes or as it hits the water would be disastrous

maybe an expert will enlighten us 

580 posts
1,587 battles

Wait what? A few meters?? Why'd you get that so friggin close?? and from that distance I normally give out the order to lose the grappling hooks and tell the XO to hand out the cutlasses to the crew... ARRRRRR!!! :izmena:

219 posts
3,348 battles

Yea i know :D:D:D

Well, I wouldn't take to much pride in the fact.

Almost without exception you all leaped to the conclusion that it was ME who ran up close to the other ship.

It never seemed to occur to you brainiacs that it was the other guy who crowded me.

But, as has been mentioned here and elsewhere, this game bears no relationship to reality so God forbid that I should have expected even a smidgin of fact.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

You people are unbelievable.

Unbelievably cute!

Anyway, I'm going to summon a SerB classic:

"Want realism? Join army navy!"

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

if you are that close, why don't you be a human torpedo yourself?

Ram of course, might get a shiny Die Hard too

Almost without exception you all leaped to the conclusion that it was ME who ran up close to the other ship.

It never seemed to occur to you brainiacs that it was the other guy who crowded me.

Where's your manueverbility to keep the DD away?

Edited by Conkhead_12

580 posts
1,587 battles

Yea i know :D:D:D

:teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy:

The thing is you need to be extra careful when there are DDs about... If you're getting sunk by torpedoes then you're letting DDs use their most effective weapon... but it is highly avoidable if you keep note on things like...

1.) If in doubt and there are DDs about, don't stray near islands where you have no idea what's behind of... DDs excel in stealth and ambushes... Many a time I have sunk island huggers this way...

2.) At the start of every match and you have a CV on your team, keep an eye on where he sent his first wave of aircraft... Some enemy DDs maybe lit up on the minimap because of that CVs aircraft and you'll have a fair idea where those DDs are and heading...

3.) Make a tally on how many DDs the enemy team has and just count it on the map where they are so that you can proceed with care... if the count is off even by one DD, tread lightly... that one uncounted DD maybe just stalking you... It could even be me since I avoid enemy aircraft like the plague...

4.) If you spot one near you or even approaching you... Assume it has launched torps even if you don't see them... and TURN! TURN LIKE THE WIND!

Don't blame the other guy for coming close on you... If I was that DD then I'd say it was your fault... You let it happen regardless. If you play Cruisers alot then you should know that Cruisers are a DD players arch enemy... Use your superior range, and firepower to deal with us since smokes and fish are the only things we have against you... well except for RU DDs (They have smokes and guns)... Their torpedoes are terribly short ranged at 4KM... but they're blindingly fast...

Edited by Kreigg

125 posts
913 battles

Totally ridiculous!!!!

lol keyword "realism"

its like saying cod is supposed to be realistic because of the guns they have

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Distances are compressed in this game while ships are enlarged for gameplay and visual purposes. What appears to be a few metres on screen is in fact, several hundred metres. Torpedoes in the game have their normal arming distance values, except it looks shorter due to the compressed distances.

Solution? Don't let the DD get near you.

Edited by Syanda

219 posts
3,348 battles

.......except it looks shorter due to the compressed distances.

Solution? Don't let the DD get near you.

"Looks shorter"?!!

Jeeeez! What is the compression ratio - one metre in real life equals one centimetre in the game?!:amazed:

As for not letting DDs get near....yep, point taken and lesson learned.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

"Looks shorter"?!!

Jeeeez! What is the compression ratio - one metre in real life equals one centimetre in the game?!:amazed:

As for not letting DDs get near....yep, point taken and lesson learned.

I do believe 1 centimetre on the screen is about 50-100m in-game. Ships are overinflated in size for ease of targeting - or else most cruisers or battleships are practically kilometres long.

219 posts
3,348 battles

The most crazy complaint I ever read, of my 2 month with WoWs.

Congratulation, you won the Awards.

Do you really think I give a sh*t about what you think?:sceptic:

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

Much like the thought that this game would do anything similar to real ships.

Ships capabilities are based on nothing more than game balance

p7zQcrj.jpg

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

Totally ridiculous!!!!

1. Why did you get that close?

2. http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11856-psa-this-game-isnt-meant-to-be-realistic/page__st__20#topmost

3. If that is your argument, then I propose 22 Km torpedoes.

Edited by ExESGO

219 posts
3,348 battles

1. Why did you get that close?

2. http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11856-psa-this-game-isnt-meant-to-be-realistic/page__st__20#topmost

3. If that is your argument, then I propose 22 Km torpedoes.

Hey, torpedoes, .....did you take the time to read ALL of the thread before posting?

Naaaah.....you didn't.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Much like the thought that this game would do anything similar to real ships.

Ships capabilities are based on nothing more than game balance

As I've discovered over the past week or so. :)

Sign in to follow this