Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WeavingBird1917

Absolute Rage- Torpedo sighting distance

27 comments in this topic

8 posts
374 battles

Hi,

I just started my Japan line. The second ship has a good maneuverability which allows me to do some close combat. However, when up against destroyers around 3-5km, I ALWAYS die. The reason is, for whatever reason, the torpedo is only sighted when it gets to a point where it is like 200-500 metres from the ship. At this point it is inescapable. It's so annoying! I can easily escape torpedoes that are about 1-2 km but not when I am only 5 seconds from impact. :ohmy:

Is it meant to be that way or is it a bug? How can this be combated?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

How can this be combated?

Knowledge.

Check the techtree to see how far each destroyer's (DD) torpedoes reach and how many they have.

Torpedoes only have a maximum range and will stop if they reach it.

However it's often better to move closer to destroyers to get more hits, each ship has it's own "comfort zone" for this.

For example it's easy to constantly hit a DD at Chikuma's or Chester's maximum range once you've played for a bit and

start to realise when a target is most likely to turn and where you have to shoot to hit it when it turns.

For starters a lower range is more advisable though, I'd go with 5-7km range against DDs.

Aside from that you can usually count on a DD using it's torpedoes as soon as it's in range on lower tiers.

Hence you can prepare yourself accordingly:

- Try not to hug islands, instead sail around them with some space between you and island. (More space to maneuver/dodge)

- Keep an eye on the minimap to identify a DD's position even if it's not in your own view range

- Either turn into or away from a torpedo salvo if you know where it's coming from

One of the key points of fighting a DD is to focus on dodging it's torpedoes first, this usually takes most of it's

damage potential out of the encounter and gives you plenty of time to focus on aiming.

Keep in mind though that low tier DDs reload their torpedoes quickly.

8 posts
374 battles

You have already spotted the DD, so why aren't you already turning?

>when up against destroyers around 3-5km, I ALWAYS die

Why are you letting destroyers get that close?

Part of the reason I am not running is that I can easily dodge a torpedo if it is detected before 1-2 km. And if it's one destroyer, it is fairly easy to take them down (except the torpedo detection problem). And assuming that they are 3-5km out, the torpedoes should be detected way before the 1-2 km mark right? That is the main problem. Apparently the destroyers are 3-5km out, but the torpedoes are only detected around 200-500 metres, which doesn't give me enough time to react.

Absolute rage ?? it's just a game

Umm can't blame me for a catchy title...

Thanks guys for replying :medal:

178 posts
2,306 battles

Always assume torps are in the water when at close range with a dd that has its side facing you. Good habit to have even for dd captains. 

Edited by TaikoTaiko

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Part of the reason I am not running is that I can easily dodge a torpedo if it is detected before 1-2 km. And if it's one destroyer, it is fairly easy to take them down (except the torpedo detection problem). And assuming that they are 3-5km out, the torpedoes should be detected way before the 1-2 km mark right? That is the main problem. Apparently the destroyers are 3-5km out, but the torpedoes are only detected around 200-500 metres, which doesn't give me enough time to react.

If you're only dodging when you see the torpedo, it's way too late. If you can easily dodge a torpedo if it is detected before 1-2km, then assume the torpedo has been fired (heck, you can visually see them leaving their tubes if you're zoomed in) and take evasive action before the torpedo indicators even pop up.

1,126 posts

First, you have to know basic of torpedoes.

their spotting range is proximity 10% of it's max range

you said you just start Japan line correct? that mean you still facing low tier IJNDD

painful truth is... low tier IJNDD is DANGEROUS!!

their have very high concealment, that mean they can sneak up to you very close.

their torpedoes is pretty shot range, around 7 km. which mean you will spot it only at 700 meter away, give you less than 10 second to react

best advise.

if your play BB... DON'T go anywhere alone.

if your play CL... the moment you spot DD, turn now! do not keep going straight line, don't wait until you see torpedoes comming.

normally DD don't like coming too close to CL, your fast reload gun can wrack them with ease,

stay away form island, perfect spot for DD to lay torpedoes ambush.

in case of other nation DD

DON'T go near them at all cost!

they have super shot range torpedoes (and a lot of it) 5 km range torpedoes will get spot only at 500 meter away, and with their a lot of torp is "shot gun torpedoes" even CL won't stand a chance.

if they pop a smoke, don't get in there! if they us invincible firing from smoke, just retreat and wait till smoke go away.

Edited by PGM991

Super Tester
1,310 posts

@PGM911

theres 1 thing that i want to clarify.

the torpedo spotting range IS NOT determined by their max range.

its determined by their speed.

u can sight a faster torpedo much more earlier.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,520 battles

@PGM911

Interesting that!

One other evasion technique for medium plus engagements, vary your speed. That really messes up the solution for both DDs and torpedo bombers. Although at short ranges you need your speed to maximise your turning circle.

1,126 posts

@PGM911

I did say proximity... right?

yes, it may be various, but I'm pretty sure that it's not determined on speed either

why?

mutsuki torpedoes is a lot slower that minekaze, (mod 2 - 59 knot; minekaze torp are 68 knot) if what you said was true, than mutsuke torp should be very stealthy, hard to spot and easy to hit target.

but no!!

mutsuke torpedoes got detect a lot farther than that of minekaze even it speed are slower.

so, is not determined by speed.

to sum up

proximity 10% of max range is close enough to real game-play.

Edited by PGM991

580 posts
1,587 battles

I play DDs as much as I love playing CLs, want to know what ticks me off? Captains who stay in open water and those who don't sail in a straight line...

Didn't the last patch buff up the torpedo detection range for IJN DDs?? ah, with that said, does anyone here know where I can find a table/chart regarding torpedo detection ranges and other things?

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,780 battles

Torpedo spotting distance isn't based on speed or range, it's actually based on diameter of the torpedo.  This makes not a lot of sense, but it works somewhat similar to additional spotting range on ships when they fire shells, where the larger the calibre of the shell, the more range gets added to spotting distance.

So for the low tier IJN and all USN ships, they use 533mm torps and the spotting time is around 9 seconds, therefore the spotting distance is the distance the torpedo can travel in those 9 seconds, which obviously changes depending on the speed of the torpedo.  For the higher tier IJN DD's, they use 610mm torps, and the spotting time is 12 seconds.  I should actually say was 12 seconds, because these times were brought down in patch 5.2, but I'm not sure what the new times are.

In response to the OP, if you are within 3-5kms of a destroyer that you are actively engaging, there will be torpedos in the water even if you can't see them yet, you need to be actively dodging them before you see them.  A good tactic is to never have your ship broadside to the DD, either sail towards them or away from them at an angle, depending on whether you want to commit to the engagement or put distance between you, and do major course adjustments often, changing tack directions in respect to the enemy DD.  You're highly unlikely to eat a torp this way.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

hey

stop all that

Torpedo spotting range doesn't depends on speed/range/calibre or anything like that

every torpedo has its own constant of torpedo spotting range

usually long range torpedo has long spotting range

but they don't actually vary with it

for OP's problem,

I just started my Japan line. The second ship...

obviously he is at tier2

that's why he get so close with the destroyers

and tier 2 DD's torpedo spotting range is extremely short that nobody can evade after seeing

so should bottom tier torpedo's spotting range be nerfed?

I don't think so

1.it's just tier II, you get out of it after a few games

2.DD in bottom tier doesn't have a long range(unless they upgrade the torpedo but nobody will waste his time doing)

3.everything except DD, should stay some distance from enemy destroyers

4.the proper way to evade torpedo, is evading before they come into sight

when you actually learn to evade torpedo, you'll know how weak DD is
Edited by CarbonMonoxide

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,780 battles

hey

stop all that

Torpedo spotting range doesn't depends on speed/range/calibre or anything like that

every torpedo has its own constant of torpedo spotting range

usually long range torpedo has long spotting range

but they don't actually vary with it

Every torp does have it's own spotting range - but it's based on reaction time vs torp speed, and is roughly the same for torps of the same diameter.  Different diameters have different reaction times.

INGsRBq.png

Note that this chart is from pre 5.2, but the concept is still the same.  All the 610mm torps have about a 12 sec reaction time, all the 533mm torps have about a 9 sec reaction time, and all the 450mm torps (Umikaze/Sampson only) have about a 6.5 sec reaction time.  The actual spotting distance varies greatly, but is worked out from the speed of the torp and the reaction time in seconds.

This is why in 5.2 they said all the mid-high tier IJN torps reaction time had been reduced a lot, where all the other torps had been reduced only a little - they did major adjustments on the 610mm torps only.  Incidentally, it would be great to see an updated chart for 5.2 if anyone has one!

219 posts
3,367 battles

Hi,

I just started my Japan line. The second ship has a good maneuverability which allows me to do some close combat. However, when up against destroyers around 3-5km, I ALWAYS die. The reason is, for whatever reason, the torpedo is only sighted when it gets to a point where it is like 200-500 metres from the ship. At this point it is inescapable. It's so annoying! I can easily escape torpedoes that are about 1-2 km but not when I am only 5 seconds from impact. :ohmy:

Is it meant to be that way or is it a bug? How can this be combated?

This is just another example of the total lack of realism in this game.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

This is just another example of the total lack of realism in this game.

I didn't know u could see Arrows on top of torpedoes irl ................

1,230 posts
2,418 battles

uhhh uhhhh

I thought IJN Oxygen torpedoes doesn't show much trace in the water to see those bubbles too

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,827 battles

CAPTAIN!! I SEE RED ARROWS ON THE SURFACE!! COMING AT US PORT SIDE!!

"HELMSMAN!! HARD TO STARBOARD!!, DAMAGE CONTROL PREPARE FOR FLOODING!!!"

Sign in to follow this