Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaikoTaiko

Mutsuki tips

13 comments in this topic

178 posts
2,306 battles

Happy new year fellow captains. I would like to ask for some tips regarding destroyer play. I've recently "upgraded" to the Mutsuki. I even spent free experience to get the 10 km torpedos to have an easier time. However the lower speed and higher detection of her torps are really throwing me off my game. Can anyone give me some tips?

211 posts
9,931 battles

The slow torps are a bit of shock after the Minekaze, i was trying torp at max range at first and that was achieving nothing lol

The slow torpedo speed makes it harder to predict the enemy ship's path

so things like keeping a stealthier profile helped, i was taking my time to setup a good salvo rather than spamming torpedo's

if the enemy ship has not been alerted by your presence/torpedo's in water they will less likely to take evasive maneuvers, 

And i found screening for BB's helped. 

They usually scare of the cruisers and might allow you some opportunities to sneak up nice and close on enemy BB's to maximize chances of getting off good hits on them. (depending on the map)

and i didn't pay too much mind to enemy cruisers as they usually sail pretty erratically.

DeleRT83's video helped me to get a feel for the ship and its slow torpedo's as well

Edited by Apex1o1

253 posts

Most Japanese destroyer player do it wrong trying to torp enemy at max range. If the enemy keeps sailing straight, the torps would hit, but if they change course, they'r all gonna miss. 

So, to fully utilize your potential, especially when Japanese destroyers are famous for their cloaking device, try to get as close as possible, about 6.5 to 7.2 km then drop your torps. This would increase the chance of hitting significantly. Even if the enemy change course, there is still chance that one of the torp hitting the target.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Greetings fellow cap'n! It seems that you and I are literally on the same boat here... I too recently acquired the Mutsuki and realized that my Murmansk was hoarding over 12KXP so I converted it to get a Hull B and new Torpedoes... I was hoping to share you my thread I recently started also and exchange notes about this but it seems Retia has already beaten me to it... No joke Retia's advice in there did wonders for me...

1,126 posts

not only for mutsuki, but for upper tier IJNDD

1. your torpedoes are design to hit a big ship like BB and CV, don't waste try to torp DD or CA

- unless you can read their movement in advance that they coming in small carnal (or gap between island) where it fit you torpedoes spread.

- most of the time, torp to CA and DD is for push them away rather than hitting them,

- well... if you actually hit them then... you lucky.

2. don't be afraid to run away, your ship is paper! no one gonna blame you when you run.

- early in almost every match, you gonna meet with enemy DD first.

- in 1-1 encounter, you can try gun play if he's IJNDD with similar tier, but if he's a DD from other nation... DON'T even he's from lower tier.

- however, if you have friendly CL/CA behind you, help them spot enemy DD and their torp is priority, and hope that your team can help dispatch that DD

- remember, enemy team also prioritize to dispatch you (DD) too, so.... when you got detected, always expected some shell WILL shot at you 100%

3. enemy CV just keep plane over your head?

- just give up and retreat, because not only your position are compromise, your torpedoes also get spot the moment it leave it's tube and it will hit nothing

- drag those plane, go to your friendly CA/CL that have strong AA, while the same time, turn on your AA and you might just shot down a few plane.

4. I know your ship is fast... but don't go too far ahead beyond your team CA firing range.

- lone flanking is good idea, but remember that enemy DD also think the same thing.

5. smoke is help conceal your position but at the same time it's like shouting "HEEEYYY, I'M OVER HEREEE!!"

- they'll know you are there, just don't know exact position.

6. enemy have 3 state of torpedoes awareness (this is my own tough)

- 100, when they sailing normally without engage any enemy, you can try torp BB but CA, CL... I don't think so.

- 150, when they know you're close and fully expect torpedoes, chance of hitting anything is very low. even if it's a BB.

- 50, when they busy engaging your teammate, now it's your chance!

7. don't feeling down if you doesn't have many action it the match, to day, DD xp and money ratio is highest of all any kind of ship.

- WG staff know how low hit rate of topedoes is, so...

- 1 torpedoes hit, caping 1 base or fire a few shot to defend your base is enough to gain decent xp and money.

Edited by PGM991

178 posts
2,306 battles

Thank you all for your replies. I'll try to make use of what was shared here with me. Krieg, you are right about us being in the same boat. I have the ogenvoi as well and I am not enjoying those paper turrets. 

580 posts
1,587 battles

Thank you all for your replies. I'll try to make use of what was shared here with me. Krieg, you are right about us being in the same boat. I have the ogenvoi as well and I am not enjoying those paper turrets. 

More like tissue! Even with the upgrades they become 2-ply but still tissues! But I have to admit, the faster turret traverse are a god-send... I just hope WG will buff up the RU DDs gun's KO/Destroyed chance... It's no fun hearing HE shells pop on your boat and see two black lines below... :ohmy:

Beta Tester
17 posts
2,697 battles

Greetings fellow DD skippers...

I find the best load out for my Mutsuki is as follows;

1) HULL> Module A;

2) TORPEDOES> Type B Mod.1 (The longer range torpedo);

The longer range torps gives me an option to snipe at the start of the game.  Keeping some pesky cruisers and BBs at bay.  Then do surprise torp attacks later on in a game. But the four guns, even if their reload and traverse is slower, makes for a better option when it comes a time when you have to use your guns.  More chances of hitting your target, especially when dancing with another DD. Also, it's a better deal than being an AA platform as a DD.  You're a torpedo boat when you're playing Japanese DDs.  Gunboat game play works better on US and Russian DDs.

Read the enemy team roster at the start of the game and avoid exchanging fire with US DDs. Always ask for cover when you're capping or going somewhere on the map, specially from cruisers, so they can shoot any early enemy DD encounters and let you live longer. Stay with your cruisers and cover and spot for them as they cover you.

For Captain skills, master the torpedo skills, then at Tier-3 skills, go for "Superintendent" skill first, rather than "Vigilance" or "High Alert". This gives you better and longer use of consumables and just gives you that extra "uumpph" when you need it.  Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

This is just my two cents folks...

BTW, I play a "Non-Premium" WOW account, and my humble Mutsuki got me my first "Kracken Unleashed" achievement>>>.shot-16.01.29_22.44.18-0024.jpg

"May the torp be with you....always"

shot-16.01.29_22.44.18-0024.jpg

36 posts
13,141 battles

mutsuki..

it's kind of like transitioning from kuma to furutaka i guess, you need to change your playstyle.

this is how I play mutsuki to avoid frustation:

first of all, dont get the C hull. forget any other modules other than torp upgrade. and always disable your AA.

your main goal is to stay alive (instead of killing enemy). your secondary purpose is to cap.

use your torps only as a defense mechanism. you don't need to send your torps for a CA that's more than 8km away.

wait for them to come to you. wait till they get to 6.5km then pop a smoke. wait for them to get to 5 km and send only one salvo if it's a CA. three hit is enough to sink almost all CA from full HP.

you'll need the rest of your torps for another sure kill.

but if it's a BB send all your torps just before they detect you. then run or hide behind island.

if you encounter more than 2 ships, that means you've already failed in assessing your situation.

wanna knife fights? only do it if your enemy is a single IJN DD.. wait for it to send their full torps salvo, evade, get closer and send one salvo.

if you meet USN/SN DDs.. just run. seriously.

tl;dr play it defensively.

and I find my mutsuki did better on T7/T8 battle. onT4/T5 battles, those CLs will eat you.

Sign in to follow this