You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HenryCrun

Basic "Rules of the Road"

23 comments in this topic

219 posts
3,348 battles

Today I was penalised for a collision which was not my fault.

Very simply....the other team member attempted to pass on the starboard side and altered course to do so, whereas I continued my course so the we should have passed port-to-port - the correct procedure.

Another clear violation of the navigation rules is when a ship does not give way to another which is approaching on the starboard tack (starboard side).

When in the heat of battle and ships are weaving and ducking it is understood that these rules can't be adhered to all the time, but the two instances to which I refer happened before any action commenced!

WG should look at adjusting their penalties when there is a situation such as I mentioned in the opening paragraph.

I wasn't at fault.

38 posts
4,571 battles

Which side is starboard? Why cant people just say left and right....

I hear you though. I made a sharp right turn at start of battle in slow moving battleship then a cruiser steams in to my left side and then another ship after that sideswipes me too, team kill alley!!!!!

I think some people set the engine running then go have a coffee....

219 posts
3,348 battles

Which side is starboard? Why cant people just say left and right....

Maybe because I have sailed a lot when I was younger it just comes naturally for me (and anyone who has spent time on the water) to use the correct nautical terminology.

But if you are more comfortable with "left" for port and "right" for starboard, that's fine.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Doubt many players know navigation rules, let alone adhere to them in-game. 

Yeah...you're right.

That's where this game falls down.....it's just another FPS, wearing different clothes.

But if WG actually introduced a correct penalty system for such actions then maybe they would take the time to learn....at least that bit of the nav rules!

Whoa! Dunno why that gave three quotes.

Edited by HenryCrun

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

What?.. No port left??

This is a terrible state of affairs, please send someone out to fetch more, immediately.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Lots of the ships have the captasans on the focsle painted red and green as well This is to help look outs in real life when they make a report Used to help me :-)

nope, this is just to make the F'csle look pretty, if a look out can not tell which is port and stbd, why the hell are they a look out?

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Pretty much.

For me, if you are in the less nimble ship, you have the right of way.

58 posts
2,867 battles

Reminds of a joke with many variations. The punch line is usually "I am a nuclear aircraft carrier with a full battle group." "I'm a lighthouse. Your call"

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

Maritime rules really aren't all that simple, if you don't take steps to avoid a collision you are held as responsible as the other party you couldn't stand in front of the maritime board and "claim right of way" as an excuse in the case of a collision.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Maritime rules really aren't all that simple, if you don't take steps to avoid a collision you are held as responsible as the other party you couldn't stand in front of the maritime board and "claim right of way" as an excuse in the case of a collision.

Wrong - the basic right-of-way rule when at sea is very simple for exactly the reason that it has to be simple to work.....and it has done so for over 200 years.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Can we not start using COLREGs please and just go with the fact that it's not real life? Therefore COLREGs really don't need to be brought in, just be careful where your bow is pointed and make sure your quarters and new courses are clear before turning.

38 posts
4,571 battles

Maybe because I have sailed a lot when I was younger it just comes naturally for me (and anyone who has spent time on the water) to use the correct nautical terminology.

But if you are more comfortable with "left" for port and "right" for starboard, that's fine.

I was baiting a tad there :)

So if a ship is coming from my right I have to give way, what if it is overtaking me????

At start of recent battle I was turning hard to right and a Myogi on left was doing same when a Pepsicola rammed my ?Tier 7 destroyer and then went on to ram the Myogi also.

He didn't reply to my WTF comment but he suddenly started speaking English after my very rattled weapons officer accidently salvoed his ship to the bottom a short time after wards. Yes I was ashamed of my weapons officer but you should have seen the coffee all over my navigation officers best whites but it was 57 credits well spent.