Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Subete_Yoi

Japanese Armoured Cruiser Yakumo

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

It's no bloody surprised that the WWI ship section is totally empty and this topic is it's first!
Anyways, I'll try my best to provide some content about WWI or anything near that time period ships despite my absolute lack of knowledge about long floating chuck of steel (I might learn something in return!).

Japanese Armoured Cruiser

八雲 Yakumo

vglrb6.jpg

Look at that beautiful piece of relic (Full view at 1:30)

Specifications:

Type: Armoured Cruiser

Displacement: 9801 tons
Length: 124.64 meters

Breadth: 19.57 meters

No of shafts: 2

Engine: 24 VTE Belleville boilers

Power: 15500 h.p.

Top speed: 20.5 knots (38km/h)

Armament:

4 - 203/45 Armstrong U

12 -  QF 6 inch /40 naval guns
12 - QF 12 pounder 12 cwt naval guns

8 - 47/30 21/2pdr Hotchkiss Mk I

5 - 457mm Torpedo Tubes

Naval Ram

Armour (unsure):

Belt: 89mm - 170mm

Bulkheads: 152mm

Upper belt: 127mm

Barrettes: 152mm

Turrets: 152mm

Casemates: 51mm - 150mm

Deck: 51mm - 63mm

Conning tower: 76mm - 356mm

Torpedo room: 152mm

Info:

Japanese cruiser Yakumo was ordered and built in Stettin, Germany on 26 March 1898 at the Aktien-Gesellschaft Vulcan shipyard as part of the 'Second Naval Expansion Programme' where six battleships and six cruisers were built to strengthen the Imperial Japanese Navy, Yakumo being one of them. What makes Yakumo special tho is the fact that she was the only cruiser to be built in Germany while the other ships from the Second Naval Expansion Programme was built in UK (Except cruiser Azuma, being built in France). Launched at 7th August 1899(?) and started service on 20th June 1900 with Captain Togo appointed as the CO.

During the Russo-Japanese War from 1904-1905, cruiser Yakumo participated in the Battle of the Yellow Sea (too bad it's not Red cause reference to a particular server) as the flagship of the Japanese 3rd Squadron, giving off a strong hit to the Russian battleship Poltava killing off 22 crew members but also receives a 305 mm blast from 8 miles away, luckily with not much damage taken. After refitting four additional QF 6 inch /40 naval guns during the early 1905, cruiser Yakumo participated and assigned to 2nd Squadron in the Battle of Tsushima and played a major roll along with cruiser Iwate in the sinking of the Russian coastal battleship, Admiral Ushakov, giving multiple 203mm shots. She was later became the flagship of the 3rd Fleet during the operation to capture Sakhalin Isle.

During the First World War from 1914-1918, cruiser Yakumo was already considered obsolete and her roles in the war was limited. Despite that, the Imperial Japanese Navy sends Yakumo and armored cruiser Okiwa to the eastern coast of the Bay of Bengal to reinforce Chikuma and Russian cruiser Zhemchug in the hunt for commerce-raiding German light cruiser Emden. during the Battle of Tsingtao against the Germans.

Armoured cruiser Yakumo was no doubt hopelessly obsolete during the Second World War from 1942-1945. Her 1900s build was almost no match for the advanced ships during the war. Yakumo's contribution to the war was minimal as she remains within the Inland Sea throughout the war. She was assigned to training duties and not used in combat operations. In 1945, her main battery was removed for use on shore as an anti-aircraft battery. She was officially decommissions and removed from the navy list on 1 October 1945.

Cruiser Yakumo was assigned to the Allied Repatriation Service as a special cargo ship where she transports Japanese soldiers from Mainland China and Taiwan back to their homes (video above). She was sent to the Hitachi Shipbuilding & Engineering shipyard for scrapping on 20th July 1946. Armoured cruiser Yakumo was completely scrapped on 1st April 1947 and her main anchor is displayed at Maizuru.

Fate:
Scrapped

1 April 1947

After reading back, I can already sense that there are tons of mistakes that I might not noticed. So dear historians and warships experts, do tell if there's any inaccuracy or something to add or point out. Don't want to spread the wrong info in the historical section now, would we?

Edited by Subete_Yoi

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Thank for information :D:D:D 

P.S. I only know about U-Boat so i cannot share anything here sorry :cry

Just because it doesn't appear in the game doesn't mean you can't post it on the forums. Feel free to share what you know/have.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Just because it doesn't appear in the game doesn't mean you can't post it on the forums. Feel free to share what you know/have.

Interesting !! :D:D:D I got a stock of U-505 photo maybe ill post about it ;)

PS. Still i dont think who will ever care about U-Boat lol

Beta Tester
70 posts
991 battles

Interesting !! :D:D:D I got a stock of U-505 photo maybe ill post about it ;)

PS. Still i dont think who will ever care about U-Boat lol

U-Boats of the Kriegsmarine are one of the best wolf's in the Atlantic during its time.. and for us History Lovers we don't want to miss that sight... right ^_^

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

U-Boats of the Kriegsmarine are one of the best wolf's in the Atlantic during its time.. and for us History Lovers we don't want to miss that sight... right ^_^

kk ill do it :D:D:D 

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

o6zTjlE.jpg

Yakumo Ran entirely approves of this boat, though i always scrap it first thing in Hearts of Iron.

"Yakumo" (八雲) literally means 'Eight Clouds', or more poetically signifying 'countless clouds'.

To add something, Yakumo's armament also included a Naval ram. The primary use of this weapon, handed down from the Ancient-era, was that in an age where ASW warfare was still nascent, one of the best way to sink a sub was to ram it. Ramming was dangerous though, since submersibles were strongly built to cope with the pressure at high depths, and the rammer and rammee could both end up sunk.

The only battleship-over-submarine victory in history occurred when the HMS Dreadnought rammed and sank a German Unterseeboot in WW1.

Battleship destroyed a submarine by ramming? Good god...

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Speaking of U-Boats, I remember reading that they also had plans for a towed V2 silo.

ibxwiKA.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/V2_U-boat_Rocket.jpg

http://www.prinzeugen.com/V2.htm

And um.... Seems like U-511 was the test bed for it, launching Wurfgerat 41

cS3SOvD.jpg

Beta Tester
1,422 posts
38 battles

o6zTjlE.jpg

Yakumo Ran entirely approves of this boat, though i always scrap it first thing in Hearts of Iron.

"Yakumo" (八雲) literally means 'Eight Clouds', or more poetically signifying 'countless clouds'.

To add something, Yakumo's armament also included a Naval ram. The primary use of this weapon, handed down from the Ancient-era, was that in an age where ASW warfare was still nascent, one of the best way to sink a sub was to ram it. Ramming was dangerous though, since submersibles were strongly built to cope with the pressure at high depths, and the rammer and rammee could both end up sunk.

The only battleship-over-submarine victory in history occurred when the HMS Dreadnought rammed and sank a German Unterseeboot in WW1.

how does that work....?

HMS suddenly dive and ram the submarine then re surface?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

o6zTjlE.jpg

Oh well what a youkai....:sceptic:

how does that work....?

HMS suddenly dive and ram the submarine then re surface?

The submarine is the one who (intend to) Resurface for oxygen but don't have a good time to Evade the incoming Dreadnought near her

And never know there is a BB near her until she get Rammed 

And that's what you(Kongou) trying to do to me(Iona) in eps 9

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
26 posts

Speaking of U-Boats, I remember reading that they also had plans for a towed V2 silo.

ibxwiKA.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/V2_U-boat_Rocket.jpg

http://www.prinzeugen.com/V2.htm

And um.... Seems like U-511 was the test bed for it, launching Wurfgerat 41

cS3SOvD.jpg

Yuu-chan :3

1 post

o6zTjlE.jpg

Yes you are correct rams were used in naval combat in the acient times. Little known is the fact that the American Civil war, The battle of Lissa (Austria v's Italy) 1866 and the battle of Inuique (Peru v's Chile) 1879 all influenced the designs of pre-drednought warships and ironclads. This was due to the impenetrability of the armour of the day being better than the firepower of the broadsides of the day. With the  advent of breach loading rifles, the ram became obsolete although it was still incorporated in naval design.

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

The submarine is the one who (intend to) Resurface for oxygen but don't have a good time to Evade the incoming Dreadnought near her

And never know there is a BB near her until she get Rammed 

And that's what you(Kongou) trying to do to me(Iona) in eps 9

I can already imagine.

An U-Boat resurfacing for oxygen just to see a BB charging directly at it's direction in ramming speed. Ouch...

Sign in to follow this