You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kiwirat

Open Letter to Wargaming World of Warships

41 comments in this topic

10 posts

While you have created a nice game you do yourself and your players a dis-service by calling this a "Free Game."

With respect, you need to be honest. Yes it is free to download andtechnically a person can play the game for free. But as most have discovered that is not the reality of this game and it is certainly not in the minds of the developers. There are really no free rides here and I congratulate you for the crafting of the design to turn this supposed "freebie" into one of the most expensive MMO games around. As they say - there are no free rides. Yes as developers you should get a return for your effort. After all you have crafted a nice game. My point is you need to be upfront with your gaming community. Instead you have carefully crafted ways to take money at every turn in the game. To advance and have any sort of chance to survive superior ships etc the only way to advance in reality is to spend $$ after $$ on doubloons, and premium status or ships. You award 1.5 to 2.0 XP daily encouraging us to convert XP into free XP and so on. Every where we turn you have created more ways to take money from your players.

Why can't you be honest and charge an upfront fee for the game like most of the other icon games in the industry. Currently you are behaving like leeches sucking blood out of

players more and more. Many of us have played Battlefield, Elite, Elite Dangerous, Rainbow 6, Call of Duty, and so it goes on. These are paid for upfront and gain a

respectful and loyal player base and in many cases the gaming community get behind them and develop add on applications. I do not see much of that happening here. I play in a large multi-country clan, who tried World of Tanks, and got into World of Warships when first released. Now less than a year down the track most have abandoned both these games. Why? Because they do not enjoy playing a game that is constantly bleeding them $$. Do they still play BF4 or Elite Dangerous etc, long after the release date? Yes they do! Mostly because of the way the game is launched and marketed, because they know and respect that they are getting a fair deal.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy world of battleships but you have sucked your last doubloon off me and others I know.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

There are definitely much worse examples out there, such as Clash of Clans and Payday 2. You have to really want it to see Wargaming as being on the same level as Supercell or 505 Games.

The game, at its core, is not pay-to-win. The core aspects of the game are available to everyone; WG simply added an option to make the grinding experience a little easier.

Edited by Haku

Alpha Tester
61 posts
1,633 battles

While you have created a nice game you do yourself and your players a dis-service by calling this a "Free Game."

With respect, you need to be honest. Yes it is free to download andtechnically a person can play the game for free. But as most have discovered that is not the reality of this game and it is certainly not in the minds of the developers. There are really no free rides here and I congratulate you for the crafting of the design to turn this supposed "freebie" into one of the most expensive MMO games around. As they say - there are no free rides. Yes as developers you should get a return for your effort. After all you have crafted a nice game. My point is you need to be upfront with your gaming community. Instead you have carefully crafted ways to take money at every turn in the game. To advance and have any sort of chance to survive superior ships etc the only way to advance in reality is to spend $$ after $$ on doubloons, and premium status or ships. You award 1.5 to 2.0 XP daily encouraging us to convert XP into free XP and so on. Every where we turn you have created more ways to take money from your players.

Why can't you be honest and charge an upfront fee for the game like most of the other icon games in the industry. Currently you are behaving like leeches sucking blood out of

players more and more. Many of us have played Battlefield, Elite, Elite Dangerous, Rainbow 6, Call of Duty, and so it goes on. These are paid for upfront and gain a

respectful and loyal player base and in many cases the gaming community get behind them and develop add on applications. I do not see much of that happening here. I play in a large multi-country clan, who tried World of Tanks, and got into World of Warships when first released. Now less than a year down the track most have abandoned both these games. Why? Because they do not enjoy playing a game that is constantly bleeding them $$. Do they still play BF4 or Elite Dangerous etc, long after the release date? Yes they do! Mostly because of the way the game is launched and marketed, because they know and respect that they are getting a fair deal.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy world of battleships but you have sucked your last doubloon off me and others I know.

Conclussion,if you don't want to waste your money,don't buy a premium account and premium ships...easy.... :popcorn:

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I have played WoT for like almost 4 years, and now WoWS, i have not spent a cent in either game, and I have alot of tanks in WoT and WoWS, all from doing missions and grinding like any free player, was it hard sure, but it was fun (for me).

Super Tester
1,779 posts
323 battles

I haven't spent a single dime on free to play games even here in WoT/WoWs (mainly because I don't know how to or there is no easy way for me to buy lol)

It doesn't matter if you use premium ships or you're in Premium account, in the end here you'd still sink against skilled players who didn't pay a single dime on the game... unlike other online games that are almost pay to win

if you want to play the game without spending anything, then grind the ship you want like everybody else (personally, grinding to get a Tier X ship is silly with all the repair costs exceeding your own gain, unless you won the match without a scratch).

:D

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

There are definitely much worse examples out there, such as Clash of Clans and Payday 2. You have to really want it to see Wargaming as being on the same level as Supercell or 505 Games.

The game, at its core, is not pay-to-win. The core aspects of the game are available to everyone; WG simply added an option to make the grinding experience a little easier.

No, they have gone a good deal further than that.

There is a lot of "pay for power" available, and even if available for in-game currency, given the economy it is disguised pay for power over time.

Premium damage repair, premium camo, premium this and that. They all give meaningful in-game advantages and the person who pays for premium account, premium ships and/or doubloons can access all of them far more frequently.

That's not about the grind, that's about in-game performance where an identical ship will have augmented abilities based on the 'premium' equipment.

Having said that, these sorts of threads are entirely pointless.

683 posts
7,334 battles

I had played Battlefield play4free, the worst part is that level 1 players will be playing against level 30 players with under performed weapons and no skills. The situation actually prompted players opted to buy guns/equipment with real money to obtain a fairer gameplay (I joined the game almost 2 years after its realised, you can guess what happened :( )

I came across WoWs when flipping through YouTube videos for battleships documentary and noticed its gameplay video and I fall in love with it.

At least the battle is divided according to tiers. More fair.

IMO, at least in WoWs freemium and premium players are generally on the same par in terms of in battle gameplay, except with doubloons and premium account do make grinding easier and getting the desired ship faster. Teamwork and skill play a larger role.

For me, I rarely used premium consumables, just my personal opinion, is not worth it.

PS: sorry for the scattered/fragmented opinion and grammatical error, a bit subconscious after 24 hours work.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

from open beta till now. i only pay $10 for a doubloon to reset my 1 badly skilled captain. and there still some doubloon left in my account

and that was my choice, even tough i could just get another new captain and pay 0 sum of money.

i have never buy premium status, i dont even buy premium ship, i am not converting elite exp to free exp, i am not buying credit with doubloon.

guess what?
Yamato, Zao, Shimakaze have already in my port :3
they expensive, yes. but they still affordable with being free user.

WG never forced you to buy anything

WG only gives u an option, in the end, its we (the consumer) that decide to go for which option.

No, they have gone a good deal further than that.

There is a lot of "pay for power" available, and even if available for in-game currency, given the economy it is disguised pay for power over time.

Premium damage repair, premium camo, premium this and that. They all give meaningful in-game advantages and the person who pays for premium account, premium ships and/or doubloons can access all of them far more frequently.

That's not about the grind, that's about in-game performance where an identical ship will have augmented abilities based on the 'premium' equipment.

Having said that, these sorts of threads are entirely pointless.

Premium Repair Party/Damage Control/Defensive Fire/Scout/Fighter/Smoke/Speed Boost?
u can buy that with 20k credit

Premium Camo?
that +xxx experience dont have any effect to the gameplay (battle)
the +3% concealment? u can buy 1 with 8k credits

the -4% accuracy from enemy? u also can buy that with 12k credits

Edited by ReNation

334 posts
12,979 battles

I agree with the OP  but they already got my money so why would they listen to me. It is annoying how things are geared to paying money in some form or another. I mean top line premium ships cost more than an entire game like the total war series or sniper elite. I would like to see some concessions like once a ship is elite you should not have to pay doubloons (real money) to convert the experience it earns all of it should be free xp. I know I haven't been here that long silly me fell in love with the game but we don't even have a full polished game yet. Ship lines are incomplete whole nations are missing still getting glitches in game they need a server in Australia or New Zealand to properly service customers in this part of the world. I now all this stuff is coming eventually but hey they got the pay as you go right in there from the start.

580 posts
1,587 battles

No one is asking you to pay for anything you ungrateful jerk!... This game gave you a choice and if you claim that you got milked off then here's news buddy...

YOU ALLOWED IT TO HAPPEN! YOU CLICKED THE BUTTON WHEN YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO!!!

I enjoy this game as much as the next guy and that's why I have no complains of rolling out some dough to show my support to the devs! Sure it's P2G but I'm hell glad it ain't P2W...

If you can't give the devs some love (and just b*tch about it instead) might as well not play this game at all! YOU DON'T DESERVE WOWS!

Edited by Kreigg

211 posts
9,928 battles

Oh the irony, calles WG blood sucking leeches...

Then uses EA's Battlefield and COD as examples of modest marketing?

of course WG could re release its game each year reskinned and running the same engine, except now it has a Star wars theme or fish AI 

LOL! GTFO

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

There's a difference between a free game and a free-to-play game. The former label is applied mostly to abandonware/modded abandonware, or some indie games. This is a free-to-play game. That is to say, it's free to play, but with payment options. There's no monetary barrier stopping a player from downloading the game and playing it. That's free-to-play.

There really isn't a severe need to pay to progress up the tiers. It's a balance of time, money and progression. Have time and no money? You can progress. Have money and no time? You can progress. Have money AND time? Progress faster. I don't really see the game "bleeding" players of money - it's their own choice whether or not to pay, and the game doesn't lock you out for not paying (like, say, Runescape, or The Old Republic, off the top of my head). If players are feeling that the game is forcing them to spend, I'd wholeheartedly advise them to vote with their wallet. Stop paying. Exercise some personal control over their finances. I don't understand players who keep on playing and paying when its not giving them any enjoyment to do so.

It appears Kiwirat is conflating free and free-to-play.

Edited by Syanda

459 posts
8,276 battles

I don't get the saltiness, it's not like anyone forces you to pay. Unlike many other games there isn't any pay-to-win here, and if a premium ship is too expensive for your blood, just don't buy it. I've never seen a situation where spending money has changed an outcome in game. It can lessen the grind but that's about it.

I myself do spend a little money on the game for doubloons, mostly to buy port slots or other items I think are worth it. You have to choose to spend wisely on something _you_ think is worth it. I also have bought a few of the premium ships, but not the expensive ones. There are quite a few premiums below the $20 mark that I find quite reasonable. I don't typically have to spend that much to get what I want, I'm spending less that $20 a month typically.

There are some items/ships that I feel are too expensive, so I just don't buy them.

Also if you play long enough there are usually events that can get you a port slot, premium ship or any number of other rewards that they _give away_.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

Haven't spent a single penny here but i'm still enjoying. Lot of other people too also and im sure there are lots of other greater money raking game out there, and at least devs giving a chance to get free doobloons, ports, ahips, camo, flags. Atleast say thanks to wg for bringing and made this game possible :look::red_button:

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Regarding this game:

Some people spend money here because they got heaps of it and they just don't give a [redacted]

Some people spend money because they love the game.

Some people spend money because they want to advance faster in the game.

Some people don't spend money because they view that as a badge of honour. Basically, giving "the system" the middle finger.

Some people don't spend money because they simply don't have it. These good folks are especially appreciative of the free ship giveaways and the ability to win/earn premium stuff for free.

Whatever category you fall into above NEVER disparage players who fall into the others. In order for this game to continue and get better, EVERY player is needed. Every time you play a battle you contribute whether you spend money or not.

Lastly......

h352f9a23.jpeg

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,481 battles

Well with a win rate of 44% , after 1600 battles, and 20K damage average Kiwirat I think the problem could be  you. I don't see how spending any amount of money will improve this game for you. Apart from buying a Murmansk, currently I am 100% free to play in this. Yes the higher tiers cost ,money if you have bad game, but bottom line is if you want to play for free, be prepared to grind a bit for credits in mid tier games to cover the cost of conusmables / high tier repairs. Thats why I bought the murmansk, for me an acceptable trade off $$$ vs credits as I plan on playing this game for a while ( and I expect the Russian cruiser line when they come out to be usual WG Russian OP bias )

If you don't expect WG to engineer the game to make a decent return ( i.e. pay for Serb's spaceship / the new building in Cyprus ), well,  maybe you should stick to solitaire. Sorry for the salt, but really there are plenty of people out there rocking a T10 fleet that haven't dropped a penny on this game.

It is pretty basic - you want to accelerate your progress via ship XP conveted to free XP - well then pay the $$$$$. If not dont even look at the XP your ships accumulate. 

Beta Tester
39 posts
2,110 battles

Bemoans at WG for using money system and then later use EA as a their good example. I lol'd hard at this.

Look, I play WoT and yes spent a decent amount of money on it "to get better Kiwirat" but I knew from then that WG is truly not a P2W. I joined a clan and the clan leader assess my gameplay and it turns out that the reason behind this is I don't fully use the game mechanics. I relearn how to play it and my kiwirat actually get better even though I'm not premium.

Then WoWS came along and I knew from the start that I must learn the game mechanic and tactics. I also fully utilise coop capability (Division) and I do get better results. I'm actually winning and able to turn the tide for my team (I carried the game most of the time). Of course I lost a few games and get detonated but I look at it at a positive view. More flags to not get detonated. All of my ships are at least equipped by this flag. 

So there, you have a bad game every now and then (or all the time). Take an hour off. Play something else. Do something else. Or watch awesome players on twitch. Or get your friend to play with you. If not, heck you can play with me. Just PM me whenever.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Premium Repair Party/Damage Control/Defensive Fire/Scout/Fighter/Smoke/Speed Boost?

u can buy that with 20k credit

Premium Camo?

that +xxx experience dont have any effect to the gameplay (battle)

the +3% concealment? u can buy 1 with 8k credits

the -4% accuracy from enemy? u also can buy that with 12k credits

You seem to have missed my point (I acknowledged you can buy with in-game cr etc) and I'm not going to bother to repeat myself.

I, too, don't spend money (I bought $8 worth of doubloons as a token gesture). The only reason I've not advanced beyond tier 6 (of which I have ONE ship) is because the game play itself I have found entirely aggravating. In other words, the only thing that stops my progress is I don't enjoy the game.

Regardless, a person going to top tiers wanting to use all the 'pay for power' options either will run premium account, ship, or just buy cr UNLESS they are prepared to grind like a monkey strapped to a computer because no way does a tier 8-9 person make enough cr profit to cover all those expenses AND save the vast sums required for the next tier without doing so.

Lastly, as I said, none of this matters a damn. WG isn't about to change their model and there's no reason they should.

Pay/don't pay is for the individual to decide (as Krieg summarised). Complaining about it is pointless.

[TF44]
22 posts
8,269 battles

Mr Kreig answered this thread very concisely. I do not understand the need to dump on the company or the developers for providing such a great game. Here is a thought for an open letter -

To Wargaming and its Staff,

Thank you for:

1. Providing such a great game;

2. Fully supporting the game with rolling updates and improvements;

3. Implementing the associated web site(s), forums, chat channels and educational material which all enhance and encourage a great community of players; and

4. Supplying developers, administrators, moderators and all the other people required to ensure the game and its features all integrate so well.

All the best to all for 2016! :teethhappy:

Regards

In fact I think I will do just that..

Edited by Taipan17

69 posts
2,225 battles

With due respect to those claiming not to have spent anything on this game, I find it hard to believe that players have large fleets (WOWS) or garages (WOT) as you only get a limited numberof "Free" slots in each game. The only way to gain more slots is buy buying them or winning a special ship or tank. If you only have the same slots as you started the game with, I don't think you should claim this as a large fleet or garage. Good luck to you if you enjoy the slow grind of never converting exp into free exp or buying slots, etc.

As long as you enjoy the game, play it, if you don't like it, leave it & go elsewhere. Simples!

Respect to all & see you on the waves or battlefield. :)

Beta Tester
39 posts
2,110 battles

actually WoT have an event where players who win 7 times in a tier 7 tanks get a free slot. this can be repeated for 7 times. also many free tanks for a certain events. i just sell those free tanks. tier 2..i was constantly playing tier 8 n above at the time

10 posts

It would seem that the majority that have made a response to this thread have not taken much time to read my OP.

First I started with the words "with respect." I also gave kudos to the developers for creating a great game. I am not flaming the game or the mechanics one bit. I acknowledged that it is a free to play game.

I guess my point is that if they were honest about the potential costs, and charged players up front for the game, spent more time rewarding players without capitalising off them further they would probably get more loyalty. One just gets sick of the way they entice people to spend . Yes there is a choice to spend or not to spend. So kudos to their financial genius.

BTW  I don't care if my kill rate is not up there. I still play the game, and to those that just chose to abuse in the thread, well you just have a great day.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

But you cited EA as a shining example of good behaviour...

Would you rather that WG require that 5-10% of the playerbase pay tens of thousands of dollars, buying blatantly pay-to-win tanks/ships to stay ahead of the curve? Wargaming uses a medium where anyone can have a satisfying experience for just $2, if at all. You can pay more if you want to make the grind a little easier; something always welcomed by gamers. What is wrong with that?

Edited by Haku