Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
spcogg

How to Play the North Carolina?

11 comments in this topic

16 posts
2,606 battles

Hey guys,

I saw a few North Carolina (Nocar) Threads about various things but figured there wasn't a comprehensive rant about the problems I have in this boat. I Had a lot of fun in the Colorado, but after 30ish games I still haven't figured out what I'm meant to do in this ship that makes it 'fun'. Be interested to hear if I'm missing something here. Admittedly I'm still in the stock hull because I've been making an average of -30k creds per game i've played so...no money to buy the hull upgrade even though I have the Exp.

I think it comes down to 3 parts, which affect the performance of the Nocar at Long, Medium and Short ranges:

Terrible accuracy at range: Long Shell Hangtime + Terrible dispersion

The main batteries are simply horrendous on the Nocar because you can't hit anything reliably. Shells take a Loooong time to land (something like 10 seconds at 15km) giving people plenty of time to turn, making it very difficult to aim. Added to that is the massive shell dispersion, so basically even if you do aim properly and the target doesn't turn, you're still relying on RNG to do any damage at all.

Hard to get citadels at Medium range: High shell arcs

This s a problem on it's own because it means you can't really penetrate people's broadsides at medium range (10-15km), I have atagos bouncing 16" shells because it hits their deck from 12 kms out. This means either you stay far and hit deck, which is impossible due to the above point about shit accuracy, or try and go in really close (<8km) for belt shots. But the problem with that is...

Can't escape at short range: Terrible turning/rudder shift

It's really easy to die if you're up close/ahead of the team. If you charge in and the enemy team focus fires you then you're toast, turning around takes too long and you'll probably get hit by waves of torpedos now with this silly DD buff.

There doesn't seem to be a range or role where the Nocar is effective, unlike the colorado which does well at medium/short ranges. Theoretically the boat should do well at long ranges but I'm pretty much out played by anything from a Mogami upwards because the guns have terrible spread, basically rely on RNG to sometimes land the odd citadel which isn't really 'fun' for me. The only way I do well right now is if my Team is doing well and drawing attention away from me so I can charge in and do damage.

Thoughts/tips? Ideally practical strategies and explanations on how you'd do well. Thanks

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I've made a thread about this, but after playing a little while, I'm growing to like this ship

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11668-north-carolina-advice/

Long Range:

Don't bother with any range upgrades, even when stock the range is fine, and given the accuracy issues, it's not worth it. Also don't use the spotter aircraft and switch it out for a catapult fighter, as it has a longer flying time and helps spot torpedoes better and defend against air attack. Ironically, having a larger dispersion is somewhat beneficial in that even if you make a terrible shot you have a decent chance of hitting something.

Medium Range:

This ships prime engagement range is between 10-18km, and given how the ship has most of its firepower concentrated to the front, I keep the bow pointed at the enemy, therefore keeping you safe from getting your juicy sides nailed. The hard to get citadels at medium range can be attributed to facing better armoured ships like the Tirpitz and North Carolina, but I find i still get them at the same rate as with the Colorado, enough to wreck ships like IJN cruisers and BB's like Nagato and Amagi's. The shell arc is a little high, but bear with it, it's still better than that of a USN cruiser.

Short Range:

This may come as a surprise, but this ship has a better turning circle than a Tirpitz and Amagi at 760m vs 850 and 870m respectively

I've faced high tier destroyers making suicide charges at close ranges and survived thanks to this, and this ship has got excellent DP  secondary artillery

The only issue I have is that while the range is fine for the 5" secondaries, they have terrrible module health and will get knocked out easily, so relying on them isn't really going to help, but at least the triple 16" pack a nice HE punch against DD"s

But DO NOT engage any ship at close range if you can avoid it, Amagi's and Tirpitzs will more likely win in this fight due to the former having 10 guns in 5 turrets and the latter having torpedoes and better RoF

Verdict: An average ship that doesn't exceed in any role, but has excellent AA, practically immune to carriers with all AA upgrades

16 posts
2,606 battles

I've made a thread about this, but after playing a little while, I'm growing to like this ship

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11668-north-carolina-advice/

Long Range:

Don't bother with any range upgrades, even when stock the range is fine, and given the accuracy issues, it's not worth it. Also don't use the spotter aircraft and switch it out for a catapult fighter, as it has a longer flying time and helps spot torpedoes better and defend against air attack. Ironically, having a larger dispersion is somewhat beneficial in that even if you make a terrible shot you have a decent chance of hitting something.

Agreed, good thinking with the catapault fighter, i'm going to use that from now to spot DD's/Torps now that the torps have the very silly non-detection upgrade.

Medium Range:

This ships prime engagement range is between 10-18km, and given how the ship has most of its firepower concentrated to the front, I keep the bow pointed at the enemy, therefore keeping you safe from getting your juicy sides nailed. The hard to get citadels at medium range can be attributed to facing better armoured ships like the Tirpitz and North Carolina, but I find i still get them at the same rate as with the Colorado, enough to wreck ships like IJN cruisers and BB's like Nagato and Amagi's. The shell arc is a little high, but bear with it, it's still better than that of a USN cruiser.

I've started to realise that pointing the bow at the enemy is a pretty good tactic, but still the horrendously long shell travel time and terrible arcs means that it's generally very hard to shoot someone who is paying attention and angling/dodgeing. I never had this problem with the Colorado (my main point of reference, since I just finished that grind) thanks to the very flat shell arcs and being able to just shoot the enemy in the side. Nowadays I find most ships are immune to citadels between 10-15kms because of the terrible shell angles. I find that it's difficult to do good damage on ships that are sitting still, which is highly annoying. Just today I fired 6 shells at the broadside of an AFK atlanta from 15k's out, got 4 hits for a grand total of 5k damage. It is extremely unsatisfying

Short Range:

This may come as a surprise, but this ship has a better turning circle than a Tirpitz and Amagi at 760m vs 850 and 870m respectively

I've faced high tier destroyers making suicide charges at close ranges and survived thanks to this, and this ship has got excellent DP  secondary artillery

The only issue I have is that while the range is fine for the 5" secondaries, they have terrrible module health and will get knocked out easily, so relying on them isn't really going to help, but at least the triple 16" pack a nice HE punch against DD"s

But DO NOT engage any ship at close range if you can avoid it, Amagi's and Tirpitzs will more likely win in this fight due to the former having 10 guns in 5 turrets and the latter having torpedoes and better RoF

Yeah now that I've gotten the B hull the turning is much better, but still with how close you have to get to enemies to be effective it doesn't help that much. I can aim well enough to shoot single DDs with the main guns, main annoyance is that to do good damage against CL/CA/BB consistently I find I have to get within 7KM (suicidal if there's another DD/CL/CA nearby that will torp you), or stay really far away and only hit once every 5 minutes.

I have a Tirp and that thing wrecks CL/CA/BB at 8-13KM thanks to the flat arcs sending the shells into the broadsides, but with the North Carolina at those ranges your shells bounce more often than not.

Verdict: An average ship that doesn't exceed in any role, but has excellent AA, practically immune to carriers with all AA upgrades

I think it's just not fun. Sure you can sit at 20km and shoot shells and get the odd Citadel, but at 10-15km you deal inconsistent damage even if you aim well, and at  <7km you're basically torpedo bait.

AA is fun to use on T6-7 CVs when you shoot down entire squads, but nothing can save you when T9-10 CV's send 3 full TB squads and drop 18 torpedos all at once in your side. 

30 posts
6,538 battles

My hopes and dreams and expectation were crushed when I reached North Cal....Worst ship after Colorado, better off as a museum in my port..

16 posts
2,606 battles

Update: I figured it out, this is what I got for playing the NC "correctly":

Nv7YCo2.png

I am starting to get used to the playstyle that makes a 'successful' game in the NC, which is basically point bow towards enemy, and wait for them to show you their broadsides. Having an island next to you helps to prevent people from torping/shooting your citadels from the side. Moving forwards and backwards from time to time helps avoid, but does not prevent, torpedo damage.

Played like this, the NC seems to be mostly effective against the following:

• At >10KM: BB/CA/DD that show their broadsides to you
  • At 10-15KM: CL/CA that show broadsides to you. BBs will laugh at your when your shells bounce harmlessly off their armour
  • At 15+ KM: BBs that show their broadsides to you. CL/CA will laugh at you when your shells splash all around them

Instead of firing as often as possible, you have to wait till someone shows their broadsides to you to have any hope of doing real damage. Even if your shells do connect it's still seems largely RNG, especially at ranges 10KM+. You are very, very resistant to citadel damage as long as the bow is pointed towards the enemy, but concentrated HE fire from 2 or more CA will still sink you within a minute you get focused fires. Having an island helps.

I can't say if I like this style, which is very, very passive and reactive, after all the brawling up close and personal with all guns blazing in the colorado. But it works:

From the same game

wLEFCOF.png

189 posts
4,857 battles

Nocar is good for brawling but there's no point to brawl with it at stock, what I do is stay back, use all 9 guns (Note that Nocar's shells are THE SAME WITH MONTANA), shell arc and dispersion are bad (every US ships have ad shell arc) but it plays somehow like a typical IJN BB. Do not go in front because if you die your pocket hurts very, very badly

-Don't brawl, stay back to save that bunch of repair cost

-You can't help with high shell arc and dispersion

-Swap out that scout for a fighter instead since longer range means even worse dispersion either

-Mostly hunts battleships but when you need take cruisers first

-Get the Superintendent skill, you will find that 4th T very, very useful

Sign in to follow this