Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
fawx317

Admiral Hipper advice?

13 comments in this topic

139 posts
5,876 battles

Hi fellow captains, I've recently acquired the Admiral Hipper after grinding through the Yorck, which I've gotten pretty good at by the end (but still sold her off because Myoko does the job better).

Okay, first off - I'm not saying that the Hipper is a bad ship. In the 13 games I've played her so far, the AP absolutely murders cruisers whenever they show their broadsides. It's proven to be excellent in the anti-Cruiser role. HE against DDs isn't too shabby either because of the high-velocity rounds, despite the lower damage.

My problem now is against BBs, which at T8-10, are more frequent opponents. I find the AP to be ineffective even at ranges of 10km or so (Hitting broadsides), and the HE is lacklustre as well. I'm just not sure what's the best method to deal with them. 

Also, I've set up my own set of Captain Skills/Upgrades based on my experience with other Cruisers, but any advice on that front would be appreciated as well :)

Edited by fawx317

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

Aim for the superstructure and pen it. Hitting the belt will bounce off/ricochet.

Hitting the superstructure area with AP nets you around 3-6k in AP pen damage.

But at close range (torpedo range) God forbids you that close to a BB... You can citadel Amagis/NCs.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Use the Hipper excellent range and shell velocity to deal plunging fire to BBs, use HE to set fires then switch to AP..

Keep them at range and you'll be fine.. The farther you were, the less likely they'll shoot at you..

For captain skill its standard CA build, Situational Awareness, BFT, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, AFT, Concealment Expert.. They will be carried over to Roon with its excellent secondaries & AA

[KEBAB]
44 posts
5,040 battles

For the German line, never ever go into front line mode. The armor while tougher than the usual German CA armor, it is still inferior to the other lines. Shoot from afar, I suppose :trollface:

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

For the German line, never ever go into front line mode. The armor while tougher than the usual German CA armor, it is still inferior to the other lines. Shoot from afar, I suppose :trollface:

If youre relying on CA armor against BBs youre doing it wrong.

The DKM CA line seems to trade armor protection for some REALLY silly OP AP penetrating capabilities.

Grab all them Mogami, Mikhail Kutuzovs and Atago citadels while theyre hot!

[KEBAB]
44 posts
5,040 battles

If youre relying on CA armor against BBs youre doing it wrong.

The DKM CA line seems to trade armor protection for some REALLY silly OP AP penetrating capabilities.

Grab all them Mogami, Mikhail Kutuzovs and Atago citadels while theyre hot!

I totally agree with this but every time I go near, a BB senses me :(. This is my experience but yes, I agree when going on CA to CA action, go nearer and citadel them to the sea. 

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,395 battles

Get demolition expert for ur Hipper.

Burn BB first (optional)

Switch to AP shell and aim under the turrets instead for engine room (main belt)

Practice more to prevent end up shooting at the superstructures

-------

Avoid being focused when you are engaging the main fleet, always get yourself in a better angle (doesn't mean you don't have to lead a push when you have to)

Edited by R3negade

683 posts
7,348 battles

Managed to get a citadel penetration on Amagi at 7km today, and my jaw dropped; never thought it can do that.

After getting Hull B Admiral Hipper can maneuver much better, and things start to shape up.

2 things I want to ask

1. The last upgrade, concealment and acquisitions, is it necessary? Noticed Admiral Hipper concealment isn't that good. And what does the "acquisitions" upgrade do? I can't understand the first line of its description, does it like for instance, able to spot a ship at 12km despite it has a surface detactability of 10km?

2. How do you guys find the gun range upgrade in modules (+ 10% range) ? Is it helpful?

61 posts
1,022 battles

Admiral Hipster.... Move like a hipster hit like a hipster escape like a hipster...

Base on my NA experience riding this ship... you have to be elegant on dealing with BBs... When I say elegant you do it with style.

Its either you show your bow/stern set speed to 1/4 and shoot BBs only with your fore/aft turrets. This will minimize your hitbox by alot so even if that BB sets her eyes on your Admiral hipster. Yes you'll get shot at. No, you wont get citadeled by lot but still you'll be withered by a concentrated fire specially from the flanks... best used a when you have people supporting your flanks

another is to do the peak a boom style... the thing is you can only do this with a buddy USN battleship. use your buddy as a cover and pop in and out of her large silhouette to do damage but maintain distance as to you dont know when your buddy will bail out if he is focused on. This is specially good if you aim to get close to your target or simply want to save up your HP to fight in a prolonged engagement. Don't fire over your buddy... Hipster has almost flat trajectory firing arc you'll end up shooting him at worst probably citadel him....

second is pop in pop out. Very effective when it comes to archipelago maps. This is achieved by how well do you know a ship that you are facing on. How fast the shell travels in, how steep are their plunging fire and of course your ability to read the general fight map area. The tactic is to use the islands to your advantage by preventing them from firing long range potshots to your general position by positioning your self right behind a tall land mass. Sounds easy but not so much. the reason why you need to know the knowledge of the ship you are facing on is to know how to survive and do another pop attack. You won't be detected unless you fire. by then you are retreating to your next hide out and do pop shot again. the land mass protects you from retaliation and hides you from detection. you need to stick close to the land mass as it will be your barrier against plunging fire(the only way they can damage you) the same time hides you from detection

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,395 battles

Managed to get a citadel penetration on Amagi at 7km today, and my jaw dropped; never thought it can do that.

After getting Hull B Admiral Hipper can maneuver much better, and things start to shape up.

2 things I want to ask

1. The last upgrade, concealment and acquisitions, is it necessary? Noticed Admiral Hipper concealment isn't that good. And what does the "acquisitions" upgrade do? I can't understand the first line of its description, does it like for instance, able to spot a ship at 12km despite it has a surface detactability of 10km?

2. How do you guys find the gun range upgrade in modules (+ 10% range) ? Is it helpful?

The advantage you get for having "acquisitions" upgrade  is higher torpedo spot range, giving you more respond time to evade. Also it will increase the magic zone (force to spot enemy behind island / in smoke) from 2km to 3km.

I always go for Concealment mods. For me getting closer and have a better angle to shot can do a great amount of damage to enemies in a short time. Surprise attack ftw.

Gun Range Upgrade : always better than nothing. You can engage enemy BB when their CA cant touch you, why not ?

Edited by R3negade

139 posts
5,876 battles

Aim for the superstructure and pen it. Hitting the belt will bounce off/ricochet.

Hitting the superstructure area with AP nets you around 3-6k in AP pen damage.

But at close range (torpedo range) God forbids you that close to a BB... You can citadel Amagis/NCs.

Superstructure huh. I've learned to avoid hitting that in my BB experiences, but I'll give it a go and see where that takes me. Much appreciated :honoring:

Get demolition expert for ur Hipper.

Burn BB first (optional)

Switch to AP shell and aim under the turrets instead for engine room (main belt)

Practice more to prevent end up shooting at the superstructures

-------

Avoid being focused when you are engaging the main fleet, always get yourself in a better angle (doesn't mean you don't have to lead a push when you have to)

Already have Demo Expert for just that purpose. But hasn't been very successful though.

I'll try the under-turret citadels, but chances are BBs will be too angled for that :(

Use the Hipper excellent range and shell velocity to deal plunging fire to BBs, use HE to set fires then switch to AP..

Keep them at range and you'll be fine.. The farther you were, the less likely they'll shoot at you..

For captain skill its standard CA build, Situational Awareness, BFT, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, AFT, Concealment Expert.. They will be carried over to Roon with its excellent secondaries & AA

Plunging fire with the Hipper is rather difficult, thanks to the flat trajectory. It was easy with the Konigsberg and Nurnberg (Which I spammed AP against BBs, and it worked wonders), but just not with the Hipper. Even when I try to engage at max range of 15-17km ranges. 

But thanks for the feedback :)

683 posts
7,348 battles

The advantage you get for having "acquisitions" upgrade  is higher torpedo spot range, giving you more respond time to evade. Also it will increase the magic zone (force to spot enemy behind island / in smoke) from 2km to 3km.

I always go for Concealment mods. For me getting closer and have a better angle to shot can do a great amount of damage to enemies in a short time. Surprise attack ftw.

Gun Range Upgrade : always better than nothing. You can engage enemy BB when their CA cant touch you, why not ?

Thanks mate :) yeah in the end I still get the gun range upgrades. Loves the Hipper, quite fun. and I still do torp run against opponents :P

However no more torp run in Roon. only 4 torps a side, can't guarantee a kill...

892 posts
7,853 battles

Thanks mate :) yeah in the end I still get the gun range upgrades. Loves the Hipper, quite fun. and I still do torp run against opponents :P

However no more torp run in Roon. only 4 torps a side, can't guarantee a kill...

The Roon has higher ROF to the Hipper and we use the guns more than torps.

Sign in to follow this