Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sparcie

Playing the Colorado

23 comments in this topic

460 posts
8,276 battles

I have recently acquired the colorado and noted the exceptionally long grind just to get the upgrades, and the difficulty in earning credits while stock. I had a go with it on the test server and thought it was ok. Are there any tips while I'm forced to play it as stock. I can manage to do good damage with the guns and the armour is ok, so nothing really to complain about.

Also I'm torn between getting the extended range on the secondaries or AA (the upgrade module) I haven't ran into CV's really all that much, but when you do the AA module would probably be the go, but when they aren't around (what happens mostly) the better secondaries would be good. Any tips based on experience?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

difficulty in earning credits while stock.

You'll find that earning credits in a BB at higher tiers is difficult, stock or not.

It's an issue of most high tier ships due to maintenance costs and it doesn't help that running BBs efficiently requires

both premium Damage Control and Repair Team.

Hence why the same rule of thumb as in WoT works for WoWS, too:

Find a tier IV-VI (Can also be III or VII, but usually tier IIIs don't produce as many credits and tier VIIs cost a bit too much) vehicle that you're enjoying and performing well in.

Then use it for credit farm runs.

The short way is to buy a premium ship, although I highly suggest to inform yourself about the ship first before making purchases.

Are there any tips while I'm forced to play it as stock.

If you used free exp to unlock the ship, then never do that again.

Free exp are best used for modules only unless you're using gold to convert free exp.

Outside of that the best advice is to stay out of PvP and play coop if efficiency and performance is what you want.

Otherwise just play PvP with the handicap.

Also I'm torn between getting the extended range on the secondaries or AA.

Personally I prefer the extended range, mostly because I like opening up on targets at long range while getting closer.

Plus even on higher tiers dodging torpedoes (or most of them anyway) isn't too difficult against CVs, hence the AA module is something

I'd rather mount on a CA.

460 posts
8,276 battles

Yeah I didn't use Free XP on her, I enjoyed playing the New Mexico enough that it wasn't a problem to just keep playing her until I had enough. I just don't have enough to buy a upgrade outright. I have a few credit grinding ships so that should be ok for getting the modules. I could convert a bunch of XP, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Shouldn't be far off getting a hull upgrade soon which will be good.

I usually don't bother upgrading the range of the main guns, but the Colorado does seem to enjoy more accuracy so it might be worth a try. Otherwise I'll probably go for the secondary enhancement.

I guess I'll just have to grind in PvP with the handicap, at least the CV count is low enough (and the torpedoes still dodgeable) that they don't ruin your day completely.

Beta Tester
93 posts
2,453 battles

Colorado really forces you to adapt your playstyle.  play it like a slower cruiser.  once you spawn angle in and close the distance quickly, use angling runs to points of cover.  by not getting the range upgrade, you minimise the dispersion effect and are not tempted into long range duke em outs with more accurate ships at distance (fuso and nagato).  you'll find you'll surprise quite a few cruiser captains coming in that close, and the odd foolish BB.  difference using this tactic over a cruiser?  you have massive guns that wreck haus, and way better armour than a CA can deal with (just don't sail into his torps).

think baronvongamez/phlydaily did a good video on the Colorado playstyle you should check out.

once you figure it out, its actually a pretty fun ship!  I'm actually finding it more difficult at the moment to find a consistently effective playstyle with the NC!

Edited by Addos

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Colobado is a piece of junk that, funnily enough, is best used as an AA platform.

21kt top speed for something that sees tier 9 is just stupidly bad.

It's WG's test to see how stupid a lot of gamers are: will people spend money to reward WG for putting such a PoS at tier 7?

When I played it in beta it was the only ship I used 'free' exp (we got given millions of free exp when servers were wiped) to get out of, so awful was it.

I don't know if the devs inadvertently have some stupid glitch in their damage model, but the thing also takes absurd levels of HE damage for something that was theoretically the most heavily armoured USN BB up to the Iowa. Then again, everything takes ridiculous levels of damage from small calibre HE rounds because that's what this simplistic damage system requires.

460 posts
8,276 battles

I'm still adapting, but I did a similar thing with the New Mexico, although it did meet fewer of the tougher enemies.

The main issue I've had is running into a BB and another maneuverable ship that can sling fish at me. I usually manage to dodge a few, but the Colorado isn't as maneuverable as the New Mexico. Gotta watch out for that or try to keep a friendly closer. On the up side she does have quite nice guns and armour that do seem to brawl quite well, even gave a Tirpitz a run for it's money. Still gotta practise with her, but I think I'll enjoy it once I get the upgrades.

I ended up buying the secondary range extension, haven't seen too many CVs lately so I didn't bother with the AA. I'll probably get the AFT skill later to improve that.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

I don't know if the devs inadvertently have some stupid glitch in their damage model, but the thing also takes absurd levels of HE damage for something that was theoretically the most heavily armoured USN BB 

Its superstructure is gigantic, taking up nearly 85% of the ship, its also poorly armored and HE shell damage is based on how much it pens. Try shooting HE with 152mm on the Mikhail to a Colorado and you will only do around 500 ~ 2100 (good hits) While shooting HE with an Atago's 203mm will make it hit around 3500 ~ 8800 (upper limit) due to higher penetration values.

The Colorado is an okay ship but needs to be played carefully, it is heavily armored but only on the belt which protects it against lower calibre guns performing citadel hits on you. Travel at sharp angles straight at enemies turning only to fire your guns. You don't want to give an even larger target for people to hit (your superstructure)

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Colobado is pretty much as well armoured as any USN BB up to the Iowa.

WG's magical view that all that armour on the belt, barbette, turret, main and subsequent decks, and conning tower don't mean a damn thing because you kill BBs firing HE from DD class weapons is one of the major piles of nonsense that have pretty much driven me from the game.

I die a bit every time I watch a DD sitting in smoke showering a BB with HE and that BB melting because apparently fires from 5" guns and 16" guns burn with the same intensity and are equally dangerous.

Sorry, my absurdity threshold has been exceeded by several orders of magnitude.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

nah, DDs with HE loaded sitting in smoke arn't that effective at higher tiers when superstructures get armoured enough to resist the lower calibre shots. Lower tiers it is a problem due to how weak most battleships are.

Fires have always been the main problem in this game and how easy they are to set, those russian Destroyers with 6 guns high velocity good calibre fast reload are the main problem here. You try doing that in an USN destroyer, you have fast reload and.... sub-orbital shells and thus you can never hit anything ever, do that in an IJN destroyer and you have to contend with 8seconds+ reload on your turrets and lack of turrets to do adequate damage.

But really, the Colorado's superstructure still has lattice in it, do you know how much armor that has...? A whole 5MM. You pen anywhere there with a HE shell and you are doing near maximum damage.

Edited by iLordShade

Beta Tester
42 posts
4,972 battles

AS a person who recently finished the Colorado Grind here are some tips for u .

1) Never use the 16% range upgrade ,Though your range increases to 19.1Km the shell dispersion istoo much TO hit anything not to mention u will suffer hitting targets at close range . 

2) Try playing it as slow cruiser with 30 sec reload ,USe the AA Upgrade on slot 2 and watch upto Tier 7 CV getting half of thier TB shot to hell. Enjoy the AA supremacy . 

3) IF u go on open see play it like other BB ,Its your Sure Death even germacruser's Do 2-3K damage on you While spamming AP and we know how accurate and fast loading they are. Try the Mountains and ambush tricks But don't go alone else You are DD food. Point is stay with team .

4) If u follow above rules U can do an average damage of 50-80K/Game which will yield you 2L credits and around 1.8K XP/Game (Premium Account) ,That will be enough  to  get updates 

Sure yeah grid is hellish , But the reward is awesome at the end, though NC is kinda inaccurate for me ,But i will wait to get the B hull and see of shell dispersion goes down, Nonetheless Find a Frnd Platoon with Him it will be more fun and easy to grind the Next ship 

REgards 

RANGBAAZZ 

Edited by RANGBAZZ

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

nah, DDs with HE loaded sitting in smoke arn't that effective at higher tiers when superstructures get armoured enough to resist the lower calibre shots. Lower tiers it is a problem due to how weak most battleships are.

Fires have always been the main problem in this game and how easy they are to set, those russian Destroyers with 6 guns high velocity good calibre fast reload are the main problem here. You try doing that in an USN destroyer, you have fast reload and.... sub-orbital shells and thus you can never hit anything ever, do that in an IJN destroyer and you have to contend with 8seconds+ reload on your turrets and lack of turrets to do adequate damage.

But really, the Colorado's superstructure still has lattice in it, do you know how much armor that has...? A whole 5MM. You pen anywhere there with a HE shell and you are doing near maximum damage.

Lattice? Is that the answer?

What's behind/inside lattice?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

So WTF is being damaged when you penetrate air?

Seriously, is the damage model THAT stupid?

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

The Colorado is a bit tough in stock config, try to slowly crawl forward since the stock config engines dosent give you that consistent and try to enggage enemies that are in your range. A stock Colorado can easily destroy enemy cruisers or deal much dmg to a BB , dont forget to go together with your teammates so they can provide you with support. The Colorado works best as a Brawler from stock to fully upgraded so keep that in mind , try to start engaging the enemies at range then close in so that you will have more chances to dmg or even destroy the enemy. Those 16 inchers hurt, and can do a lot of dmg to your enemies. Dont forget to angle your ship, to reduce the chances of getting heavy dmg to your ship. 

As for the upgrade pattern, I will recommend the following though try to find the pattern that suits you best.

1. Engine

2. Second hull

3.FCS

4.Final hull

Edited by Fadhz

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

The Colorado is a bit tough in stock config, try to slowly crawl forward since the stock config engines dosent give you that consistent and try to enggage enemies that are in your range. A stock Colorado can easily destroy enemy cruisers or deal much dmg to a BB , dont forget to go together with your teammates so they can provide you with support. The Colorado works best as a Brawler from stock to fully upgraded so keep that in mind , try to start engaging the enemies at range then close in so that you will have more chances to dmg or even destroy the enemy. Those 16 inchers hurt, and can do a lot of dmg to your enemies. Dont forget to angle your ship, to reduce the chances of getting heavy dmg to your ship. 

As for the upgrade pattern, I will recommend the following though try to find the pattern that suits you best.

1. Engine

2. Second hull

3.FCS

4.Final hull

Agreed, the Colorado when stock is painful, but I personally didn't mind too much. The only problem I had was the speed, it is pretty tough and those 16" hit hard

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

Lattice? Is that the answer?

What's behind/inside lattice?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

So WTF is being damaged when you penetrate air?

Seriously, is the damage model THAT stupid?

it doesn't need to be anything there to damage, its just part the allocation of damage allowed that is allocated to the superstructure. 

Here is a St Louis as an example, anything that can penetrate these areas to a degree will do damage. We arn't told where the engines, the magazine rooms are, the rudder rooms, same crap happened with WoT, when a shell penned you don't know what happens to it but its largely RNG anyway, you just received damage numbers. And that is all that matters in a game like this. You are better off waiting for War Thunder to bring its ships out if you want hyper complex damage models that seem to produce more bad then good.

5dLgN3y.png

16 posts
2,596 battles

Just finished the Grind, the Colorado is one of the ships I'm keeping, it's excellent once you get into the hang of it (which should be quick since it's just a New mex that hits harder).

Like people have said, don't use the range upgrade, you turn quick so angle in when attacking, aim for citadels. Your 16" guns have very flat shell trajectories that have low flight time (easier to lead) and easily penetrate the belt armour of anything that's showing broadsides to you at <13km. You can Easily 1shot most CA/CL, DDs, and quickly destroy silly Japanese BB's that get in close.

I had lots of fun with mine, most people saying it's crap haven't played it or even US BBs. Hope you're off the stock hull, I Free Exp'd mine but if it's anything like the New Mex Stock it is ridiculously bad.

Just don't expect the North Carolina you get after to be as fun, that ship is definitely Junk.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

never thought i'd see the day somebody would call north carolina junk after playing the Colorado

Turns like a fat whale compared to the Colorado, but i still love the speed and how sleek she is. Wish her secondaries had better health though

16 posts
2,596 battles

Turns like a fat whale compared to the Colorado, but i still love the speed and how sleek she is. Wish her secondaries had better health though

^This. Also the shells have horrible hang time and dispersion, i posted a rant about it in another thread here http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?act=findpost&pid=11794

The colorado has a style that it excels in, which is getting in to mid-range and brawling it out. Still not sure what the North Carolina is good at.

I think another issue is the matchups at tier. At T8 you see a lot of T9-10 ships, and it's the point where cruisers have more dpm than you and can dodge your shells very effectively at 15km+

She is one sexy beast though.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

Sometimes I wonder why does.SteelTrap even bother with this game when he's given up all hope. Surprised he hasn't migrated to the broken game with ships but not WoWS that has realistic damage models that he really wants.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Sometimes I wonder why does.SteelTrap even bother with this game when he's given up all hope. Surprised he hasn't migrated to the broken game with ships but not WoWS that has realistic damage models that he really wants.

Don't worry, I'm about done.

I've tried that other game, too. It looks like crap, sadly, but In some game play respects I prefer it. I find being able to direct main guns, secondary guns and AA all directly makes for more satisfying game play than waiting 30 seconds between shots, for example.

But I've come to the conclusion I don't suit random internet teams because I find it incredibly frustrating having to play with people who seem not to be interested in winning, and that's something both games have in common.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Just don't expect the North Carolina you get after to be as fun, that ship is definitely Junk.

The NC is a fine ship, she plays in the brawl-midrange area. Yes the dispersion is relatively not that good , but its still very playable . 

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

I've tried that other game, too. It looks like crap, sadly, but In some game play respects I prefer it. I find being able to direct main guns, secondary guns and AA all directly makes for more satisfying game play than waiting 30 seconds between shots, for example.

Dont forget that you can only play BBs, SSs or CVs in that game. In that order.

CAs and CLs are utterly and entirely useless. You could replace them with a potato and the game would not even have a difference.

DDs are just meh because Subs. Dont forget your Submarine Gold Ammo too!

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Never worked out gold ammo.

Am told CAs in fact get decent at high tiers.

Personally I enjoyed DDs and SS.

But it's an internet game with all the problems associated with that, namely a ton of arsehats. Team killing is rampant. And so on.

So I don't bother with it, either.

Wish someone would do a modern version of "Great Naval Battles of NA 1939-43". I'd pay AAA prices for that. Strategic complexity, tactical combat, excellent damage model.

Sign in to follow this