Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

About Secondaries

Secondary Gunnery Improvements  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Health on USN 5" DP turrets be buffed?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should Secondaries have a small accuracy bonus (say 5-10%) for captains who designate targets?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should Secondary Guns have accuracy proportional to ship size? I.e A bigger ship = easier to hit

• Yes
    • No

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I've been thinking a rather long time since CBT playing both DD's and BB's with regards to the issues regarding this.

As a avid DD player, nothing ruins your day more than sneaking up to an unsuspecting BB driver and getting a torpedo tube, engine or rudder knocked out by a lucky secondary shot, even though the fella has no idea you're there due to his tunnel visioning, ruining a perfectly set up attack run or ambush. Hence its understandable why the Devs made secondary gunners have the accuracy of drunkards and the range of a crossbow.

But on the other side of the debate are the BB drivers who do notice and try their best to pro-actively take evasive action, this is where secondary batteries become useful and important. After a few recent games with my North Carolina, involving a very adrenaline filled close quarters knifefight between myself and 2 separate suicidal DD charges (a Benson and Hatsuharu), alongside close quarters gunnery duel with 2 Fuso's, I thought about what I believe would make secondaries fairer while maintaining balance

Improvements/Suggestions:

Secondary battery range and accuracy are somewhat fine, but for me in the North Carolina and for the ships above, the biggest issue I have is the batteries are literally made of paper, 1 scratch and they are out of commission. and when all 5 secondary turrets on the starboard side are out, I was completely helpless (yes I was at fault for letting them get close, but it was endgame battle in a stock NC). I took out the Benson with my mains in the above mentioned game and a nearly the same for the Hatsuharu (friendly cruiser took him out at the last second). I've noticed the casemate and even the non turreted secondaries (like the pedestal DP 5" mounts on the Colorado and New Mexico ) have better survivability. So a small buff to the survivability of these would be nice, at least making them less prone to damage from HE perhaps?

And another suggestion being, a small accuracy buff for secondaries when an alert captain actually designates a target for them, and also the accuracy of the said guns being better for larger targets like BB's in a close quarters gun duel, while maintaining drunkennessfor small DD's , an accuracy proportional to ship size

*DD spotted :look:, BRING OUT THE RUM BOYS!!! :trollface:

Anyways cheers for reading this long thought bubble

334 posts
12,998 battles

you have the survivabilty upgrade 20% increase problem is you have to choose between that and main turrets or AA. I would like to see separate upgrades rather than one or the other.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Rather than accuracy based on ship size, I'd rather see tightened dispersion the longer an enemy is within secondary battery range.

Pretty much support this. If the secondary battery accuracy increased the longer the enemy ship was in range, you would see more people taking the time to install modifications that boost secondary gunnery power.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Rather than accuracy based on ship size, I'd rather see tightened dispersion the longer an enemy is within secondary battery range.

I have made exactly that suggestion on several occasions going back many months.

Did a quick search and found one in August which was EXACTLY this idea, along with the need to 'mark' the target as you would aircraft.

I'm pretty sure that's not the first time I've said it, but of course CBT forum was deleted because skillz.

Edited by Steeltrap

253 posts

I won't mind if secondary of BB gets buffed. But reduce the chance of incapacitation caused by secondary. I rather lose HP than lose my engine or even worse, lose my rudder and sail straight into the enemy BB... Giving him a free "Die Hard".

Happened to me three times. And it was damn annoying. 

Edited by ArchitakuVNN

406 posts
6,287 battles

I still like the idea of Secondaries accuracy tied to your Main battery accuracy - if you are landing 30% of shots with your main guns, then your secondaries should also be landing 30% hits on designated targets.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I have made exactly that suggestion on several occasions going back many months.

Did a quick search and found one in August which was EXACTLY this idea, along with the need to 'mark' the target as you would aircraft.

I'm pretty sure that's not the first time I've said it, but of course CBT forum was deleted because skillz.

And you would find it several times in the alpha forums and for some reason I think you'll also find it in the past, on a clipboard

in WG's WoWS office with the title "Brainstorming - Secondaries".

Although it might be a bit too much to assume game developers to know about most basic game mechanics... it's post 2013 after all.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

And you would find it several times in the alpha forums and for some reason I think you'll also find it in the past, on a clipboard

in WG's WoWS office with the title "Brainstorming - Secondaries".

Although it might be a bit too much to assume game developers to know about most basic game mechanics... it's post 2013 after all.

I don't know, a mechanic that gets around the question of  lower tier BBs being hilariously inaccurate to the point DDs can sail to close ranges and nail them with torps and not really worry about how long they spend in secondary ranges (especially upgraded Wyoming and New York with their useless 3 per side) seems far too sensible for them.

Especially when you consider the fact that CVs seem to have radar guided smart munitions in comparison; they will hit DDs regularly at 4km while an equivalent tier BB's secondary guns (frequently the same weapons) can't hit the broadside of a barn.

WG is the company that still maintains SPG in WoT is a good mechanic that prevents camping, LOL.

So, yes, it might be too much to assume.

:P

Sign in to follow this