You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HenryCrun

WoWs weird time notofication.

13 comments in this topic

219 posts
3,348 battles

WG...why do you use the time notification shown in the attached image.

For God's sake....just use UTC....that's why it is called UNIVERSAL time!!!

WoWs_odd time info.jpg

724 posts
2,153 battles

WG...why do you use the time notification shown in the attached image.

For God's sake....just use UTC....that's why it is called UNIVERSAL time!!!

Hmm.. well UTC+8 is an identifier for a time offset from UTC of +08:00

"With an estimated population of 1.708 billion living within the time zone, roughly 24% of the world population, it is the most populous time zone in world, as well as a possible candidate for ASEAN Common Time."

And this is the SEA server so its actually normal for them to use UTC+8 for Asia's portal... I don't see what's wrong with it though.

219 posts
3,348 battles

Guys, the reason UTC is used as a global reference is that it is - guess what - UNIVERSAL!

It is not necessary to give any offset.....just give the UTC (also known as "Zulu") time and everyone, irrespective of their location on this silly planet, has a common point of reference.

If it is 13:10 UTC in Britain then it is 13:10 UTC in Singapore or Nairobi or Honolulu or on God-forsaken Pitcairn Island.

THAT'S THE POINT OF A COMMON TIME-BASE!

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

Guys, the reason UTC is used as a global reference is that it is - guess what - UNIVERSAL!

It is not necessary to give any offset.....just give the UTC (also known as "Zulu") time and everyone, irrespective of their location on this silly planet, has a common point of reference.

If it is 13:10 UTC in Britain then it is 13:10 UTC in Singapore or Nairobi or Honolulu or on God-forsaken Pitcairn Island.

blah blah blah

it's WG decision, UTC+8 is easy to calculate with the ones in Asia Server

View Postlengxv6, on 25 December 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Correct, it is, but how many clocks in your house are set to UTC? or your computer, maybe your phone

+1

Edited by Conkhead_12

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Correct, it is, but how many clocks in your house are set to UTC? or your computer, maybe your phone

219 posts
3,348 battles

None...not one.

But it takes literally 11 seconds to get it off the net.

And get this....UTC +8 hours is NOT my local time.

It maybe in Singapore or wherever this friggin' server is located but not where I am, so it is NOT local.

Another reason to have an Australasian/Oceania server......or WG pull their fingers out and just use the UTC reference.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

But I am in Australia, and it is my time zone, see the problem!!

If you are East coast, just minus 2 hours from local/ 3 if if its DST, not hard. The server is located in Singapore, hence the server is UTC +8. Whining about it just because it is not your time zone is a bit silly really.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Server is located in Singapore, so it uses Local time. So putting it at  xx.xx.xx SG time, people will go "Huh? whats that in my time? How many hours ahead/behind is that?"

With  GMT/UTC + xx everyone knows the reference, so they adjust their time +/- hours accordingly. I don't see your point in this argument? lol.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

GMT+1 is still the best timezone to use anyway.

Sometimes I wonder why the rest of the world doesn't use GMT+1 since it's the superior one anyway...

One may even call it the Überzeitzone.

Edited by Retia

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,874 battles

On business term its identifies the local time of where the event is happening...when you are working with people from different timezone we all have to learn to add and subtract so that it will correctly reflect the event at the point/location it is happening. If its hard for you you can always add a desktop clock that is sets to UTC+8 time...so just by a glimpse you will know what time is it now at that particular timezone...

334 posts
12,989 battles

Windows 7 has an option for more than one clock not sure about 8.1 or 10 but I would hazard a guess and say so just set a second clock for the time zone gee not hard is it.