Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

North Carolina Advice

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Hi all, thought I'd start an advice thread since its been a while since I've seen a productive discussion on ship playstyle and advice

I'm about to unlock and purchase the North Carolina, and personally I didn't find the Colorado to be a bad ship as all, given how tough she was and the excellent arcs of fire she had while maintaining a sloped profile against the enemy. AA was excellent and secondary's were adequate, the only major flaw being the slow speed which at tier 7 was quite the drag. This is most current information I've gathered and was wondering what else I've missed or got wrong.

Edit: Finally Purshased and have played several games on this ship and have to say it is definitely a change from the Colorado, faster, slower turning and with better gun range, at the expense of armour and secondary battery health. AA good as always

Tactics/Firepower:

Tactics wise, from fighting against them and looking through other forums, it seems this ship is best played by fighting at medium range and ideally using only the front two turrets and keeping the nose at the enemy (6 guns) as the rear turret has a bad arc of fire and leaves this ship vulnerable to citadel hits being so long and having thinner armor to compensate for the speed boost. The ships turning circle is rather big and the lacking torpedo protection is a pain, so avoiding Destroyers's and Torpedo bombers are a must I gather. The range is adequate and shouldn't need any upgrades and the 16" guns hit hard and fairly accurate I hear

AA:

AA I can see is excellent and whenever I face these in my Ranger, I would personally avoid unless i absolutely have to take one out as it would leave me with large losses, even when stock and without any AA boosts from captains or modules. Despite being a big target with a larger turning circle...

Secondaries:

Secondaries being in DP turrets is nice and increases long range AA firepower, but I feel as though they are more vulnerable than they were in case-mates of the previous USN Battleships. 

Equipment Dilemma:

Either Main Battery Protection, as getting a single turret knocked out is 1/3 of the firepower gone

or 

Secondary Battery Protection - being exposed DP turrets, they are vulnerable to damage and having more survivability to ensure more AA and close quarters firepower could be good?

Either AA Range Boost - as aircraft at this tier are faster and are tougher, problem being I often have games with no CV's at all and the AA is already fearsome to the point where I'd avoid attacking North Carolina's with planes anyways

Secondary Range Boost - with Advanced firing training already I feel as though this can prove to be a nice bacon saver in a unexpected close quarters or DD attack?

Main battery range upgrade I feel is unnecessary as it is already above adequate 

Either Damage control 1 or steering gear protection, I'd say steering protection is more useful than a minor fire/flood protection, but not sure

4. Definitely Steering upgrade, but possibly damage control

5. Camo or Spotting range upgrade, not sure

Edited by Blitzkreig95

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

North Carolina Best Battleship!! (well, atleast for me)

Is that your average scores, or it's your best score of using North Carolina ?

I can show you similar picture of high score using Tier 4 Kuma, gain raw 1800 pts (F2P Account). But it's not an average scores, as my Kuma's average score are 600/match.

But if it's an average scores of North Carolina, then it's a monster ship, given to someone use it effective and efficient.

Edit : Also is that score in the picture using Premium Account or F2P ?

Edited by MissMeMiss

27 posts
5,114 battles

Is that your average scores, or it's your best score of using North Carolina ?

I can show you similar picture of high score using Tier 4 Kuma, gain raw 1800 pts (F2P Account). But it's not an average scores, as my Kuma's average score are 600/match.

But if it's an average scores of North Carolina, then it's a monster ship, given to someone use it effective and efficient.

Edit : Also is that score in the picture using Premium Account or F2P ?

thats the raw XP bro.. and thats my best game on North Carolina..

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

thats the raw XP bro.. and thats my best game on North Carolina..

I was expect it were average score ... so it's not so monster ship, but still good though. Because in Tier 8, 1500~2000pts is the average score per match. Atleast, score x2 from average score should be your best score. But let's see if someone could triple the score ... raw 4500pts perhaps ?

575 posts
5,354 battles

You want to use the following mods:

1. Main Battery (You lose even one and you lose a third of your firepower.)

2. AA range modification (Combined with basic and advance gun training skills you'll have a 90 rating in AA)

3. Damage Control 1 (I never lost steerage or engine in mine. Fires and flooding are detrimental to any battleship).

4. Rudder Mod (Yup, got to have that faster response even more so now with the nerf they've given BBs on slow rudders)

5. Target Acquisition Mod (This gives you that huge increase in view/spotting range but that new 20% torpedo spotting range).

Sadly, you still have to close within 15k to 18k range to have any chance of hitting with the full weight of your main batteries. Run with the premium Repair and DC party so you can have them off cool down if when you need them.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going to the Amagi since it is a better ship over all with its speed, maneuverability, gun handling (reload time is 29 sec), and better accuracy (214 m dispersion without FC mod 1 or 211 m with). Yes, I know the Amagi's armor is less than the North Carolina. However, angled properly it will deflect or allow for over pens than it would if you show your broadside.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Sadly, while this ships is indeed fast after a few games, even with the rudder upgrade it turns like a whale when stock and its secondaries are made of paper. Its armour is definitely not the same as that of the Colorado and is a difficult learning curve. For a ship that was supposed to be the best armoured it is slightly underwhelming....more games and Ill have a better handle I hope

575 posts
5,354 battles

Sadly, while this ships is indeed fast after a few games, even with the rudder upgrade it turns like a whale when stock and its secondaries are made of paper. Its armour is definitely not the same as that of the Colorado and is a difficult learning curve. For a ship that was supposed to be the best armoured it is slightly underwhelming....more games and Ill have a better handle I hope

Not really. In its current state it bordering on being mediocre in performance compared to the Amagi and Tirpitz.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Of the two classes WG might have used for tier 8, the South Dakota in fact would have had superior armour and otherwise have been largely the same as NC.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Of the two classes WG might have used for tier 8, the South Dakota in fact would have had superior armour and otherwise have been largely the same as NC.

^Little bit shorter lengthwise and probably with a better turning circle, perhaps the South Dakota is reserved for another branch or Premium? 

Edited by Blitzkreig95

575 posts
5,354 battles

^Little bit shorter lengthwise and probably with a better turning circle, perhaps the South Dakota is reserved for another branch or Premium? 

In truth, the South Dakota should be sitting where the Colorado is...and the Colorado scrapped. :P

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

In truth, the South Dakota should be sitting where the Colorado is...and the Colorado scrapped. :P

We can't scrap the Colorado, we need all the USN BB's to be able to reenact the Pearl Harbor attack someday :P

575 posts
5,354 battles

We can't scrap the Colorado, we need all the USN BB's to be able to reenact the Pearl Harbor attack someday :P

Well that can still be accomplished. The Colorado was not at Pearl Harbor when the attack happened. She was at Puget Sound for an overhaul.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

No, the SD class was built AFTER NC class. So the NC should drop to 7, or be removed.

Unless you mean the 1920's design South Dakota? At 43,200t displacement and 12 x 16" main battery they would have been beasts. Also the heaviest USN BBs until Iowa.

Their 23kt speed would be an improvement over Colobado, too, as that 21kt is yet another factor that makes that ship such garbage in the game at tier 7.

Edited by Steeltrap

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Well that can still be accomplished. The Colorado was not at Pearl Harbor when the attack happened. She was at Puget Sound for an overhaul.

USS Maryland and USS West Virginia were present, same class and design

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

No, the SD class was built AFTER NC class. So the NC should drop to 7, or be removed.

Unless you mean the 1920's design South Dakota? At 43,200t displacement and 12 x 16" main battery they would have been beasts. Also the heaviest USN BBs until Iowa.

Their 23kt speed would be an improvement over Colobado, too, as that 21kt is yet another factor that makes that ship such garbage in the game at tier 7.

I wouldn't mind if they added the Lexington Class Battlecruisers either, same 4x2 16" armament with 6" secondaries and a lot more speed in exchange for loss of armour

Beta Tester
42 posts
4,972 battles

Hmm......So the accuracy Issue is still there, The 3"ple Turrets Seems to be fairly in Accurate , The problem for using the Gun Mod on Slot 2 is ,THough the Shell dispersion goes 228m , The Reload time is like 33Sec(Half Captain skills) . AS a US BB u need to go Up front and take the Hit for the Team and do the same , On mid range Engagements ,33sec IS surely Gonna sting. 

I have asked a Particular Question Regarding Stacking Up the Abilities of torpedo Accusation Mod with Upgrade Slot 5 . Its here 

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11777-uss-north-carolina-accuracy-issues-and-stats/

38 posts
4,571 battles

I'm enjoying mine, still trying to save research up for next hull.

Like every other ship I go hard and just treat it like a destroyer or cruiser and rock into the middle of a engagement. Just yesterday I sunk a tier 9 destroyer.

Sitting at the back of the map playing a ship a particular way is too boring for me. Also successfully rammed a Colorado or similar after we both closed on each otyher in deathmacth broadsides.... lol

16 posts
2,597 battles

Another Bump for these NoCar Threads, agree with most of the issues raised here - still really disappointed after the Colorado :/ Side note,  I suspect most people hating on the colorado either never played it or played it long enough to get good at it.

As it is, the North Carolina is just not fun, even with all the upgrades. By fun I mean something the ship does well such as:

• Tirpitz/Colorado: being able to reliably shoot citadels at <15KM 
  • Myoko:continually spam HE against BB/DD and shoot AP for big citadels
  • Minekaze: Sneak in close and wait for people to sail into your torpedos

The North carolina as a BB just doesn't do anything really well. It can't shoot CLs/CAs/BBs reliably, and your AA is good but it won't save you against a T9/10 CV if it's really determined to torpedo you.

Sign in to follow this