You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
StarliteStandard

Meta Ships

31 comments in this topic

621 posts
2,289 battles

Alright.

Just in case you don't know, a "Meta" ship is a ship that is very good compared to contemporaries of its own or similar tiers.

Examples may include the St. Louis at T3, Minekaze and Konigsberg at T5, and Cleveland at T6.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

T3: St. Louis. Its a flamethrower than floats.

T4: Kuma. Best cruiser for getting kills.

T5: Konigsberg. Commence 17km shelling.
T6: Cleveland. Another floating flamethrower.

T7: Myoko. Lite version of OPtago (But you still have to know how to play it)

T8: Amagi. 10x16" accurate guns broadside, immense firepower.
T9: Fletcher. A better torpedo/gun boat than its IJN counterpart.

T10: Yamato. Because Yamato

Notable mentions:

T4: Clemson, Imp. Nikolai

T5: Omaha/Murmansk
T6: New Mexico

T7: Nagato

T8: Mogami, Atago

T9: Iowa
T10: Zekamashi, Zao, Hindenburg

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

It's not really fair to say that there are specific tier ships that are very good for the current meta.

Right now, the game at high tiers is very, very passive. Ships keep their distance, and attempt to increase their distance from the enemy. As a result, battleships would normally be the ships to play on this server, with the pinnacle being Yamato; her range and firepower are unequalled on this server.

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

Thanks guys, will try Atago out since it's expensive and can be bought by the gold thingies. Have loads of those gold thingies I bought awhile back. LOL.

*Edit*

Doubloons, just found out they are called doubloons.

Edited by StarliteStandard

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

It's not really fair to say that there are specific tier ships that are very good for the current meta.

Right now, the game at high tiers is very, very passive. Ships keep their distance, and attempt to increase their distance from the enemy. As a result, battleships would normally be the ships to play on this server, with the pinnacle being Yamato; her range and firepower are unequalled on this server.

I see, well I doubt I'll get to play "high tier" games anytime soon...

*Edit*

Thought you meant high Elo games

Edited by StarliteStandard

211 posts
9,931 battles

Kuma and clemson are worthwhile playing but to S4pp3r , i have a hard time playing myoji

Yeah, i would of thought Fuso was more meta. an arsenal to match US BB's with dispersion good enough for it to be effective at its ludicrous ranges.

So only the Japanese have good ships?

It fluctuates down the tech tree line, 

I find it hard to call anything Meta, all ships have their strengths and weaknesses depending how the battle plays out/map what might be effective one game could be ineffective the next.

Edited by Apex1o1

61 posts
1,022 battles

WEll personally, meta play goes to yourself... what you play, how good you are at it...

for me its this ships

St. Louis

Tenryu (DD in a cruisers body)
Kuma

Dresden
Omaha
Kongo (Unmatched maneuverability and fire projection combined with its tight spread)

Wyoming(Lots of guns)
Furutaka (many hates this girl but she is a badass, you can 1 salvo cruisers)

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

WEll personally, meta play goes to yourself... what you play, how good you are at it...

for me its this ships

St. Louis

Tenryu (DD in a cruisers body)

Kuma

Dresden

Omaha

Kongo (Unmatched maneuverability and fire projection combined with its tight spread)

Wyoming(Lots of guns)

Furutaka (many hates this girl but she is a badass, you can 1 salvo cruisers)

I see, I was from MWO, where every thing is "meta" or you lose. WoWs is a fresh new experience :)

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

T3: St. Louis. Its a flamethrower than floats.

T4: Kuma. Best cruiser for getting kills.

T5: Konigsberg. Commence 17km shelling.

T6: Cleveland. Another floating flamethrower.

T7: Myoko. Lite version of OPtago (But you still have to know how to play it)

T8: Amagi. 10x16" accurate guns broadside, immense firepower.

T9: Fletcher. A better torpedo/gun boat than its IJN counterpart.

T10: Yamato. Because Yamato

Notable mentions:

T4: Clemson, Imp. Nikolai

T5: Omaha/Murmansk

T6: New Mexico

T7: Nagato

T8: Mogami, Atago

T9: Iowa

T10: Zekamashi, Zao, Hindenburg

No Atlanta? I tried it in Beta, it's like pew pew pew :D

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

60 bucks for a ship, it better be good

You have to be good instead. Its a hard ship to master.

Play it wrong and BBs would feast on you before it can do anything, play it right and its one of the most competitive and versatile ship in the game..

I'd suggest you to play the Myoko first if you haven't already.

No Atlanta? I tried it in Beta, it's like pew pew pew :D

Atlanta are in a tough spot right now.. Yes it had a bazillion guns but they'll get knocked out so easily and has horrendous shell arc.. It doesn't have decent amount of HP and can be citadeled so easily by 16" shells.. I heard its getting a smokescreen consumable just like DDs but i don't think it will make it lightyears better than what it currently is..

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

You have to be good instead. Its a hard ship to master.

Play it wrong and BBs would feast on you before it can do anything, play it right and its one of the most competitive and versatile ship in the game..

I'd suggest you to play the Myoko first if you haven't already.

Atlanta are in a tough spot right now.. Yes it had a bazillion guns but they'll get knocked out so easily and has horrendous shell arc.. It doesn't have decent amount of HP and can be citadeled so easily by 16" shells.. I heard its getting a smokescreen consumable just like DDs but i don't think it will make it lightyears better than what it currently is..

Yea man, skill is what determines the whole thing.

Myoko isn't possible, I haven't even unlocked the first ship with xp yet. Will spend some time practicing the game. Really sad Atlanta is in such a shape at the moment, was expecting it to be crazy good with that price tag, or at least easy to pick up.

Can you give me a summary of the range and methods of engagement for the 4 main archtypes of ships in general?

From my understanding,

Destroyer -> Capture objective and launch torpedoes

Crusiers -> ???

BB -> Snipe from 15km and above with Yamato

CV -> ???

61 posts
1,022 battles

Yea man, skill is what determines the whole thing.

Myoko isn't possible, I haven't even unlocked the first ship with xp yet. Will spend some time practicing the game. Really sad Atlanta is in such a shape at the moment, was expecting it to be crazy good with that price tag, or at least easy to pick up.

Can you give me a summary of the range and methods of engagement for the 4 main archtypes of ships in general?

From my understanding,

Destroyer -> Capture objective and launch torpedoes

Crusiers -> ???

BB -> Snipe from 15km and above with Yamato

CV -> ???

DDs- If you are IJN, hold the line with your long range torps

if you are USN cap points and use your smoke to cover the team for the assault

If you are SN, burn everything

Cruisers - IJN, kill everything with your 203mm guns with either armor piercing for other cruisers or HE to anything else

USN, defend your battlegroup with your superior AA

GN, citadel anything within your range i mean everything even BBs, you can score hits and sometimes citadel with the superior german engineered guns

BB - IJN, Stay at the back, provide fire support with your force projecting main batteries. THey dont have much armor except Nagato and Yamato to handle heavy fire

USN, head the battlegroup with your superior armor and achieve area supremacy within the range

Carriers - IJN, KILL BBs and CVs thats your job use your fighters for scouting and interception as they are useless for all out air superiority

USN, achieve air superiority and deny the use of airpower against adversary carriers. You dont necessarily need to sink them just deny them of airpower

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

In general:

Destroyers:

Strength: Low detectability, high alpha damage with torpedoes

Weakness: Extremely fragile

Strong vs battleships, weak to destroyers

IJN DDs: Typically have longer torpedo ranges than detectability. Capable of firing torpedoes and exfiltrating without enemy ships knowing they're there, so this is their primary playstyle. Guns are adequate, but nothing to write home about.

RU DD: Excellent guns, capable of dealing severe damage to even cruisers (and battleships with sustained HE fire). Detectability is suspect, but they are fast and agile enough to take evasive action. Torpedoes are fast, but have low range and are typically reserved for brawling or surprise attacks around islands.

USN DD: Sits right in the middle between IJN and RU DDs. Some have the AA barrage skill to panic aircraft squadrons, but destroyer AA is nothing to write home about.

Cruisers:

Strength: Fast, reasonably armed. Jack of all trades. Best to hunt destroyers with, while shooting distracted battleships with HE.

Weakness: Vulnerable to battleship weaponry, can be deleted instantly if their citadels are penetrated.

Strong vs destroyers, weak to battleships

IJN cruisers: Relatively resilient compared to other cruisers, still capable of being deleted by battleships or multiple AP citadels to their slab sides. Gets their 20.3cm guns pretty early comparatively, so they're capable of putting out the hurt with those. Mounts torpedoes all the way to tier 10, but tier 6+ cruisers have limited torpedo arcs that launch to the aft.

USN cruisers: Excellent AA, decent guns. No torpedoes at the upper tiers. Pretty fragile. Better off as second-line ships to defend the fleet from aerial attack.

German cruisers: Good penetration and AP damage. Fragile. Mount shorter ranged torpedoes on their midships for emergency use. Good at killing other cruisers, bad at being hit at all.

Battleships:

Strengths: High HP pool, long range. Use this to dictate your range of engagement. Do not hesitate to spend hitpoints to gain your team an advantage by pushing.

Weaknesses: Turns like a tub, guns are inaccurate at range - do NOT attempt to snipe (fire at 15+km) with them.

Strong vs cruiser, weak to destroyers.

IJN battleships: Very long range, impressive secondary batteries make them good all-range attackers. They don't turn all that well, though, and their AA is adequate, but not excellent.

USN battleships: Pretty heavily armoured, comparatively, but with less range than their IJN counterparts. Up to tier 7, they turn pretty well. Tier 8+ are fast. Pretty good AA.

I'll leave out carriers - they're a bit of a pain to explain strengths and weaknesses. It's an RTS-style gameplay rather than the shooter style of the other classes.

These are just general characteristics - there are more nuances within each class/nation that you'll find out as you play.

[151ST]
1,017 posts
4,530 battles

Kuma and clemson are worthwhile playing but to S4pp3r , i have a hard time playing myoji

Yeah I'm not as good with the Kuma/Tenryu as I am with Myoko/Atago.
Myogi has excellent gun range, gun angle and speed, however has poor armour.
Trick with her is to be able to hit things at range and angle your ship so you don't get cita'd.

Knowing when to use AP and HE against opponents will increase your damage massively as at this tier some Cruisers (Tenryu/Kuma) have no armour so AP will over-pen.

I haven't got Fuso+ yet.

So only the Japanese have good ships?

I only play IJN ships, I can speak for other nations but other players will have more knowledge and skill and thus more valid assessments. Subsequently I mentioned the ships I found amazing.

Common assessment of (4)Isokaze v (5)Minekaze is that everyone tends to rave about the Minekaze. Well Isokaze is basically a slightly slower version of the same ship and will see lower tier matches - you be the judge but I prefer the Isokaze.

(2)Umikaze is just amazing and I'll frequently take it in div with allies in tier 4-5 ships. Doesn't do heaps of damage at these tiers but has 8km 21s reload torps and lowest spotted distance in game, meaning if you can play her right you can still carry. There have been Umikazi players who have nailed tier 10 matches.

(7)Myoko is frankly amazing, good AA, great guns, great range.

(8)Atago is basically a Myoko but tier 8, with BB heal, Slightly less AA/Range.

People generally rave about the (8)Mogami, but I have never gelled with her. It seems that unless you go the 155s and Captain perks (17+km range then), the 15km range means you get eaten. And I'm not wasting Captain perks on 155s when everything else tier 5+ is 203s.

In general:

Blurb

Spot on - everyone should read this

Edited by S4pp3R

253 posts

No one mentioned about the Wyoming/Arkansas. Wyoming is a force to be reckoned with. With 10 guns broadside, she can send a tier V cruiser to the abyss in less than 30 seconds. Usually underestimated by her short range but when she gets into her range... Only God can save you from her 10 x 305 mm gun.

Clemson... Short range, only 8.4 but with advanced firing training can reach 10.4 km. Her guns are pretty accurate, Most durable compared to her counterparts. Extremely deadly at close range. Her torps are quite weak in term of damage output. Still, she has 12 of them. Good at harassing battleships. Can take on cruisers if in hand of an experienced player. Absolutely no fear when facing hostile DD. 

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

DDs- If you are IJN, hold the line with your long range torps

if you are USN cap points and use your smoke to cover the team for the assault

If you are SN, burn everything

Cruisers - IJN, kill everything with your 203mm guns with either armor piercing for other cruisers or HE to anything else

USN, defend your battlegroup with your superior AA

GN, citadel anything within your range i mean everything even BBs, you can score hits and sometimes citadel with the superior german engineered guns

BB - IJN, Stay at the back, provide fire support with your force projecting main batteries. THey dont have much armor except Nagato and Yamato to handle heavy fire

USN, head the battlegroup with your superior armor and achieve area supremacy within the range

Carriers - IJN, KILL BBs and CVs thats your job use your fighters for scouting and interception as they are useless for all out air superiority

USN, achieve air superiority and deny the use of airpower against adversary carriers. You dont necessarily need to sink them just deny them of airpower

In general:

Destroyers:

Strength: Low detectability, high alpha damage with torpedoes

Weakness: Extremely fragile

Strong vs battleships, weak to destroyers

IJN DDs: Typically have longer torpedo ranges than detectability. Capable of firing torpedoes and exfiltrating without enemy ships knowing they're there, so this is their primary playstyle. Guns are adequate, but nothing to write home about.

RU DD: Excellent guns, capable of dealing severe damage to even cruisers (and battleships with sustained HE fire). Detectability is suspect, but they are fast and agile enough to take evasive action. Torpedoes are fast, but have low range and are typically reserved for brawling or surprise attacks around islands.

USN DD: Sits right in the middle between IJN and RU DDs. Some have the AA barrage skill to panic aircraft squadrons, but destroyer AA is nothing to write home about.

Cruisers:

Strength: Fast, reasonably armed. Jack of all trades. Best to hunt destroyers with, while shooting distracted battleships with HE.

Weakness: Vulnerable to battleship weaponry, can be deleted instantly if their citadels are penetrated.

Strong vs destroyers, weak to battleships

IJN cruisers: Relatively resilient compared to other cruisers, still capable of being deleted by battleships or multiple AP citadels to their slab sides. Gets their 20.3cm guns pretty early comparatively, so they're capable of putting out the hurt with those. Mounts torpedoes all the way to tier 10, but tier 6+ cruisers have limited torpedo arcs that launch to the aft.

USN cruisers: Excellent AA, decent guns. No torpedoes at the upper tiers. Pretty fragile. Better off as second-line ships to defend the fleet from aerial attack.

German cruisers: Good penetration and AP damage. Fragile. Mount shorter ranged torpedoes on their midships for emergency use. Good at killing other cruisers, bad at being hit at all.

Battleships:

Strengths: High HP pool, long range. Use this to dictate your range of engagement. Do not hesitate to spend hitpoints to gain your team an advantage by pushing.

Weaknesses: Turns like a tub, guns are inaccurate at range - do NOT attempt to snipe (fire at 15+km) with them.

Strong vs cruiser, weak to destroyers.

IJN battleships: Very long range, impressive secondary batteries make them good all-range attackers. They don't turn all that well, though, and their AA is adequate, but not excellent.

USN battleships: Pretty heavily armoured, comparatively, but with less range than their IJN counterparts. Up to tier 7, they turn pretty well. Tier 8+ are fast. Pretty good AA.

I'll leave out carriers - they're a bit of a pain to explain strengths and weaknesses. It's an RTS-style gameplay rather than the shooter style of the other classes.

These are just general characteristics - there are more nuances within each class/nation that you'll find out as you play.

Yeah I'm not as good with the Kuma/Tenryu as I am with Myoko/Atago.
Myogi has excellent gun range, gun angle and speed, however has poor armour.
Trick with her is to be able to hit things at range and angle your ship so you don't get cita'd.

Knowing when to use AP and HE against opponents will increase your damage massively as at this tier some Cruisers (Tenryu/Kuma) have no armour so AP will over-pen.

I haven't got Fuso+ yet.

I only play IJN ships, I can speak for other nations but other players will have more knowledge and skill and thus more valid assessments. Subsequently I mentioned the ships I found amazing.

Common assessment of (4)Isokaze v (5)Minekaze is that everyone tends to rave about the Minekaze. Well Isokaze is basically a slightly slower version of the same ship and will see lower tier matches - you be the judge but I prefer the Isokaze.

(2)Umikaze is just amazing and I'll frequently take it in div with allies in tier 4-5 ships. Doesn't do heaps of damage at these tiers but has 8km 21s reload torps and lowest spotted distance in game, meaning if you can play her right you can still carry. There have been Umikazi players who have nailed tier 10 matches.

(7)Myoko is frankly amazing, good AA, great guns, great range.

(8)Atago is basically a Myoko but tier 8, with BB heal, Slightly less AA/Range.

People generally rave about the (8)Mogami, but I have never gelled with her. It seems that unless you go the 155s and Captain perks (17+km range then), the 15km range means you get eaten. And I'm not wasting Captain perks on 155s when everything else tier 5+ is 203s.

Spot on - everyone should read this

These were a good read, Thanks for helping out a newbie like me :)

No one mentioned about the Wyoming/Arkansas. Wyoming is a force to be reckoned with. With 10 guns broadside, she can send a tier V cruiser to the abyss in less than 30 seconds. Usually underestimated by her short range but when she gets into her range... Only God can save you from her 10 x 305 mm gun.

Clemson... Short range, only 8.4 but with advanced firing training can reach 10.4 km. Her guns are pretty accurate, Most durable compared to her counterparts. Extremely deadly at close range. Her torps are quite weak in term of damage output. Still, she has 12 of them. Good at harassing battleships. Can take on cruisers if in hand of an experienced player. Absolutely no fear when facing hostile DD. 

Will give those ships a shot. Practicing the Atago at the moment, it is a really versatile ship.