Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

18 comments in this topic

112 posts
5,463 battles

Morning all,

Slightly off-topic question (although related). I need to buy a new computer, I'm not really a 'gamer' but enjoy casual gaming and have really gotten into WoWs (I'm not very good but enjoy playing nonetheless, it is incredibly addictive).

I need a new computer, my shitty laptop just isn't doing it for me anymore. I was planning on buying the components and a.) putting it together myself or b.) taking it to the local computer shop for them to do it. This seems to be the generally accepted way to do things without it becoming cost-prohibitive/getting value for money. 

My requirements - 

I need a computer that will last me for the next few years and cope with WoWs like games, I don't play any super competitive games etc. I was also planning on buying Warhammer total war (and, again, similar games). It would ideally be sub- $2000 (AUD). I already have 2 monitors, keyboards etc.

Anyway, would love some advice! 

Merry Christmas and happy sailing!

Cheers

354 posts
13,215 battles

For that sort of money you should be able to build a pretty kick butt unit.Buy the best parts you can and put it together yourself. 

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Yeah, I'll give my advice/opinion. Custom rig is a better.

Processor: Any i7 processor will do, if too much pricey i5 processor is no problem.

RAM: 8 GB is minimum according to some gamers, go 16 GB if you want too they said memory sticks are cheap already. If your motherboard supports dual memory channel, buy 2 RAM sticks x 4 GB instead of 1 whole 8 GB RAM stick or 2 stick of 8 GB instead of single 16 GB stick. They said it's for better performance.

Motherboard: It's up to you though, as long as it's suffice your gaming needs.

Videocard: I got used to nVidia cards, minimum is any GT #50 cards and above of any 700 and 900 series. You can pick GT 760, 780, 960, 970, 980, etc. but 750 & 950 of certain series are like mid-tier gaming card.

Power Supply Unit: 750 watts depending on your videocard power requirement, GTX 980 needs like 500 watts as minimum based on card's specs on their website

Edited by Mingfang47

406 posts
6,337 battles

Okay - so See the attached Images.

It assumes you have an ATX Case - my case has had at least 3 iterations of Gaming rig in it.

Prices are in NZD as I couldn't find an aussie equivalent to PriceSpy (best site for building a PC) I've been building my own rigs for the last 10 years - if you shop around you can normally get the best deal, but sometimes you can take a written quote to a store and ask them to price match (if its the difference between them getting a $300 sale and a $2000 sale, then there is room for negotiation)

I'll also point out I'm a Gigabyte Fanboy when it comes to Motherboards, a Gskill fanboy when it comes to RAM, a Corsair Fanboy when it comes to PSUs, Intel when it comes to CPU and a converted ATI Fanboy when it comes to GPU (Used to be Nvidia, now I'm ATI)

This isn't to say the other brands are bad or aren't as good (they are) - I just prefer those ones.

If you want more details - I can explain in more detail

Uber PC list - price in NZD.png

Medium PC build - price in NZD.png

[151ST]
1,026 posts
4,669 battles

If you are in the Sydney area, google ARC Computers - they sell good stuff and at great prices, often they'll have specials on good gear.
They have stores all over Sydney.

You can also say to them "I want to spend X and want it to be a gaming rig with X amount of HD space, X amount of RAM, X size monitor, etc" and they'll give you a quote with the best they have on offer.

112 posts
5,463 battles

Okay - so See the attached Images.

It assumes you have an ATX Case - my case has had at least 3 iterations of Gaming rig in it.

Prices are in NZD as I couldn't find an aussie equivalent to PriceSpy (best site for building a PC) I've been building my own rigs for the last 10 years - if you shop around you can normally get the best deal, but sometimes you can take a written quote to a store and ask them to price match (if its the difference between them getting a $300 sale and a $2000 sale, then there is room for negotiation)

I'll also point out I'm a Gigabyte Fanboy when it comes to Motherboards, a Gskill fanboy when it comes to RAM, a Corsair Fanboy when it comes to PSUs, Intel when it comes to CPU and a converted ATI Fanboy when it comes to GPU (Used to be Nvidia, now I'm ATI)

This isn't to say the other brands are bad or aren't as good (they are) - I just prefer those ones.

If you want more details - I can explain in more detail

I like this - it gives me a list to aim for, much appreciated! I suppose equivalent parts will be available for about the 2k aud mark (based on exchange etc) then. 

I apologise but I am a COMPLETE computer building noob, are the lists you provided everything required (plus the case you mentioned)? As in, if I get a custom pc building website to whack all those components together I should come up with a useable machine?

Cheers

112 posts
5,463 battles

Yeah, I'll give my advice/opinion. Custom rig is a better.

Processor: Any i7 processor will do, if too much pricey i5 processor is no problem.

RAM: 8 GB is minimum according to some gamers, go 16 GB if you want too they said memory sticks are cheap already. If your motherboard supports dual memory channel, buy 2 RAM sticks x 4 GB instead of 1 whole 8 GB RAM stick or 2 stick of 8 GB instead of single 16 GB stick. They said it's for better performance.

Motherboard: It's up to you though, as long as it's suffice your gaming needs.

Videocard: I got used to nVidia cards, minimum is any GT #50 cards and above of any 700 and 900 series. You can pick GT 760, 780, 960, 970, 980, etc. but 750 & 950 of certain series are like mid-tier gaming card.

Power Supply Unit: 750 watts depending on your videocard power requirement, GTX 980 needs like 500 watts as minimum based on card's specs on their website

Are there some 'numbers' for motherboards I should aim for? What specs make  workable one vs non-workable?

112 posts
5,463 battles

If you are in the Sydney area, google ARC Computers - they sell good stuff and at great prices, often they'll have specials on good gear.

They have stores all over Sydney.

You can also say to them "I want to spend X and want it to be a gaming rig with X amount of HD space, X amount of RAM, X size monitor, etc" and they'll give you a quote with the best they have on offer.

Yeah that's my fall back plan, thought I would do a little research myself first - see if I can do it on the cheap, ARC I'll keep in mind - I'm in Melbourne but am travelling to Sydney in Feb...

406 posts
6,337 battles

I like this - it gives me a list to aim for, much appreciated! I suppose equivalent parts will be available for about the 2k aud mark (based on exchange etc) then. 

I apologise but I am a COMPLETE computer building noob, are the lists you provided everything required (plus the case you mentioned)? As in, if I get a custom pc building website to whack all those components together I should come up with a useable machine?

Cheers

The Uber list works out at about 2K AUD, the second is cheaper at about $1789 - bearing in mind some components (GPU, SSD etc.) I kept the same between the 2 builds

Most customer Websites will charge a premium for assembly (and also Cable Tidying).

There are multiple Youtube how-tos for PC building - I recommend learning how to build your own to any semi enthusiastic gamer (if you are at the point of considering buying a PC solely to play games - its a good skill to learn)

406 posts
6,337 battles

Are there some 'numbers' for motherboards I should aim for? What specs make  workable one vs non-workable?

The first thing with a Motherboard to worry about is the Socket - this determines what CPU you can buy - in both the Builds I put up - we are using the 1151 Socket (intel) because this allows us to use DDR4 (which will be the standard going forward)

For numbers - its kinda hard - each Manufacturer has their own method of classifying their Motherboards. The best way is to look at reviews/benchmarks - almost all of the mid to high end Motherboards will have a review that includes benchmarks against competitors.

From there you can look at what it gets compared to its peers and decide if the performance/$ increase is worth it.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Not good at motherboard brands though. That's why I just said "it's up to you"

If you are worried about compatibility issue, see this link: http://www.pc-specs.com/pc-custom-builder

[151ST]
1,026 posts
4,669 battles

Yeah that's my fall back plan, thought I would do a little research myself first - see if I can do it on the cheap, ARC I'll keep in mind - I'm in Melbourne but am travelling to Sydney in Feb...

I have been getting PCs from them for a very long time (think like 2003-4) and one of my High School mates used to manage the Penrith store. Although I always ask them not to build it - they often do it for free anyways (guessing the guys get bored or something). Another good point is you can get the quote and then don't have to buy, then google the reviews on each hardware item and check prices - I think you will find them hard to beat, specially if you manage to get a couple of items on special.

Regardless - goodluck!

354 posts
13,215 battles

Put one together yourself it's not hard everything is modular plug in. Just get good quality parts form a reputable supplier. SSD hard drives are a good investment they are fast. If you were in Brisbane I could help out.

[151ST]
1,026 posts
4,669 battles

Put one together yourself it's not hard everything is modular plug in. Just get good quality parts form a reputable supplier. SSD hard drives are a good investment they are fast. If you were in Brisbane I could help out.

Just make sure you earth yourself... Seen some seriously fails in this department over the years...

406 posts
6,337 battles

Just make sure you earth yourself... Seen some seriously fails in this department over the years...

I don't think I've ever earthed myself - even when building my Gaming rigs, or Servers for the company DC :teethhappy:

112 posts
5,463 battles

Merry Christmas all!

Thanks very much for your help! Great advice, will take it on board. As soon as all this Christmas excitement is over I'll get onto it with so much youtubing to be done.

look forward to meeting on the high seas!

Cheers,

Sign in to follow this