Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Krieg

PvE Bots

11 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Last night I only had a few minutes to log on and play. I decided that a game of tier 8 PvE was better than no game at all. 

Strangely, the BOTS seemed to be cooperating and not acting like the goofballs I play at the lower tiers with some of my mates.

Does anyone know if the AI is the same for all PvE or do higher tiers draw better opponents?

Alpha Tester
982 posts

AI should be ship/map dependent, not tier dependent. 

AI looks like it needs to be tested again, see if minor changes have occurred

It could also fall under the category of even a broken analog clock get's the time right twice a day... :teethhappy:

Could have been their own randomness gave the appearance of playing better.

No matter what it was, it was a good thing because it was the most challenging PvE game I've ever played.

55 posts
3,922 battles

From experience I would say that the PVE bots have the same level of competence no matter the Tier.  Cooperation is one of their strongpoints: they tend to stick together. (Initially, at least).  So you shouldn't be surprised to see 4 of them close together and belting down one lane in the map.  (Aside: their biggest advantage is that they join the battle when the battle starts, and not 1-2 minutes later, unlike a large proportion of human players). 

One thing though, while the bots are the same at Tier 8 vs lower tiers, the humans on your team are worse.  In Tier 8 you should expect a large amount of Tirpitz and Atago players.  Most of these have hardly played the game, and bought their way to Tier 8, or have never bothered to learn to play the game.  They're worse than Tier 1 PVE players, as at least Tier 1 players don't think they're immortal...

So I wouldn't put the tougher experience in Tier 8 down to bots getting better but to humans getting worse...

Edited by GeneralGrant

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

Bots appear to play exactly the same regardless of tier. They seem to always prioritise CV's > DD's > CA's > BB's as their targets. Their aim is always near perfect if you are not making constant course changes. Their initial navigation appears to be pre-defined according to the map but once contact is made they will pursue the highest priority target. In the absence of a target within firing range they will head for cap. They are not good at getting themselves unstuck off islands.

They are not as good as an average player, but they are never obnoxious!

460 posts
8,337 battles

I had heard they used to be smarter at one point, as they are now they're a bit too easy to beat, occasionally they manage to do quite well. I'd like to see the difficulty scale with the tier.

I think a historical battles PvE mode might work quite well, with better AI, but that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

The bot AI for CV's needs a lot of work. Torp bombers will attack DD's when a BB is close by and fighters never venture away from the CV itself. It is pretty much a guaranteed win if the humans have a CV who is not totally afk.

I hope WG are committed to supporting PvE mode and will sometime in the future introduce historical battles that have a good degree of challenge to them.  My dream would be to fight in the Battle off Samar as the USS Johnston.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

The bot AI for CV's needs a lot of work. Torp bombers will attack DD's when a BB is close by and fighters never venture away from the CV itself. It is pretty much a guaranteed win if the humans have a CV who is not totally afk.

I hope WG are committed to supporting PvE mode and will sometime in the future introduce historical battles that have a good degree of challenge to them.  My dream would be to fight in the Battle off Samar as the USS Johnston.

In the recent battles I've played in, the bots fighters have been chasing down my bombers. Something they wouldn't have done before 5.2. True I wouldn't see them at first but when my bombers approach their fleet I see the bot fighters coming in to attack my bombers.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts

PvE bots are progressing well.

They aren't as smart as they were during testing, but they are still challenging at times.

I just stock up on flags when they are on sale (Thanks WG for the Recruits Package - bought 4 so far just for flags!) , so the grind isn't so bad in PvE mode.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I hear people are doing entire grinds vs the bots in pve, so I tried it in my tier 8 dd. 

EVERY SALVO from any of the bot ships, no matter what dodging or tactics I tried, just hammered me, the bots are far more accurate than a human player.

Not good for grinding a dd. BB is good.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts

I hear people are doing entire grinds vs the bots in pve, so I tried it in my tier 8 dd. 

EVERY SALVO from any of the bot ships, no matter what dodging or tactics I tried, just hammered me, the bots are far more accurate than a human player.

Not good for grinding a dd. BB is good.

That's what I'm doing.

Yes, bots are very accurate. They can punish you if you make mistakes and will annihilate you if you play like a muppet.

I'm not far away from the Iowa now, but as I said, the flags make the grind more bearable!

Sign in to follow this