You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 vs Main Battery Modification 2

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
708 posts
8,402 battles

I tried to search this but the forum search doesn't like words like "Gun" and "Modification" - what the actual frack?

Anyway - for American Destroyers - which one is better?

I'm tempted to go the AA one for giggles (love shooting down planes with destroyers) but I am guessing my money is better spent on making a gun destroyer more... "gunny".

So which one is better to equip?

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

It really up to you, choose the one that fits your play style :D:D:D

But i my opinion i will go Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 because this mod can give me more accurate gunnery, better % of hits = more damage.

And i dont really think Increases the traverse speed of the main turrets is important in Destroyer since they relatively fast enough (might be useful for IJN DDs tho) :P  

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Hmmm. I've gone the accuracy one. REALLY wanted to AA but not sensible :P

Some time sensible action is not fun :D:D:D

I got Full AA mod and captain skills on my North Carolina and Montana, so many doubt that i should go for turrets traverse, faster reload, etc. but that doesn't stop me to have it my way :coin: 

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
708 posts
8,402 battles

Some time sensible action is not fun :D:D:D

I got Full AA mod and captain skills on my North Carolina and Montana, so many doubt that i should go for turrets traverse, faster reload, etc. but that doesn't stop me to have it my way :coin:

Hmmm. Yes. I know what you mean.

Hmmm.

I may swap it out at some stage.

But I have a Cleveland with Advanced firing so he mows down planes from 7 kay away :)

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Hmmm. Yes. I know what you mean.

Hmmm.

I may swap it out at some stage.

But I have a Cleveland with Advanced firing so he mows down planes from 7 kay away :)

My Montana have everything that spell AA in it Basic Firing Training, Advance Firing Training, AA Mod 1, AA Mod 2 etc. you name it i have it all on my Montana :D:D:D

With 100 AA rating i eat planes for snack :D:D:D 

Except there no CV :(

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
708 posts
8,402 battles

My Montana have everything that spell AA in it Basic Firing Training, Advance Firing Training, AA Mod 1, AA Mod 2 etc. you name it i have it all on my Montana :D:D:D

With 100 AA rating i eat planes for snack :D:D:D

Except there no CV :(

LOL! I know those feels!

I do like having solid AA though - I mean you can aim your main guns - that's up to your own skill, but AA can only be upgraded.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

LOL! I know those feels!

I do like having solid AA though - I mean you can aim your main guns - that's up to your own skill, but AA can only be upgraded.

Lol thats the reason i go for AA form the beginning :D:D:D

I know its sound silly but when i have it my way, im always satisfied the result :D:D:D 

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,478 battles

I tried to search this but the forum search doesn't like words like "Gun" and "Modification" - what the actual frack?

Anyway - for American Destroyers - which one is better?

I'm tempted to go the AA one for giggles (love shooting down planes with destroyers) but I am guessing my money is better spent on making a gun destroyer more... "gunny".

So which one is better to equip?

One important thing to remember - there is a down side to Main Battery Mod 2 - the turret traverse increase is at the penalty of reload time + 10%. That penalty is just not worth it, esp when you are wanting to get the shots out quick. US DDs have decent turret traverse anyway.

I have had similar thoughts re setting up the mid tier DDs like mini crusiers - they are gun boats more than torpedo ships. Even to the point of carrying defensive aa fire over engine boost - just to give CV drivers a fright when they shadow me with a fighter squadron ;)

On NIcholas , Farragut up  advanced fire training over last stand for Captain skill 4 might work. But DDS REALLY need last stand. 

Just remember you lose a load of camo when you enage with AA

Beta Tester
708 posts
8,402 battles

Lol thats the reason i go for AA form the beginning :D:D:D

I know its sound silly but when i have it my way, im always satisfied the result :D:D:D

I know what you mean.

I love it when a couple of squadrons fly over me and fall into the sea in flames from my AA :D

575 posts
5,354 battles

Best way to make a decision is look at the dispersion of your guns. If installing the GFC mod will give you a substantial decrease take it, if not, look at the other mod, and compare it in the same manner for your turret rotation. If neither give you a decent improvement, go AA or Secondaries (if you have them). AA combined with the two Captain skills give you a substantial buff to AA. Case in point, on my NC, I had a 90 rating on my AA making her a deadly AA platform which kept me out of trouble most of the time. Being able to hit things starting out at 7km for AA makes a huge difference. On my Amagi I have 214 meters of dispersion, with the GFC mod, 211 meters. Not much of a buff, so AA mod would be a better improvement. However, on my Iowa, dispersion is 293 meters. With the GFC mod, it's 273, a substantial decrease in dispersion.

Beta Tester
708 posts
8,402 battles

Best way to make a decision is look at the dispersion of your guns. If installing the GFC mod will give you a substantial decrease take it, if not, look at the other mod, and compare it in the same manner for your turret rotation. If neither give you a decent improvement, go AA or Secondaries (if you have them). AA combined with the two Captain skills give you a substantial buff to AA. Case in point, on my NC, I had a 90 rating on my AA making her a deadly AA platform which kept me out of trouble most of the time. Being able to hit things starting out at 7km for AA makes a huge difference. On my Amagi I have 214 meters of dispersion, with the GFC mod, 211 meters. Not much of a buff, so AA mod would be a better improvement. However, on my Iowa, dispersion is 293 meters. With the GFC mod, it's 273, a substantial decrease in dispersion.

Thanks for your comments and insight. It's these kind of stats and percentages that I was wondering about.

You make some good points. I have only just gone to the Mahan. I don't think I had too many problems getting shots on target with the Farragut and the Mahan feels very similar.

As MeloMelonSoda said above though, sometimes going with what "feels right" can produce fun gameplay too :)
I guess I just wondered about actual numbers - even though I like to play games - not take maths tests ;)
I seriously think I will go back to the AA pick and back it up with the AA Captain skills (which have huge overlaps for a gun DD of course anyway).
Thanks for your considered post Yankee.

edited to fix formatting issues with forums.

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

View Postdead_man_walking, on 23 December 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:

done (well at least it's now readable for me)
Thanks.

Good to have very active, nice and willing to help mod here thats make this community so comfort to be in :D:D:D
Edited by MeloMelonSoda