Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aussie_Thunder

BATTLESHIPS MAIN GUNS

13 comments in this topic

20 posts
6,090 battles

To allow a battle ship to be more effective and to allow extra protection is it possible to have the Deck guns main Battery individually controlled or as a complete control for or. Choose the guns to point in different directions from each other  ie some face port side some face Stern and bow. choice of firing direction would allow better protection and attack for the larger ships.This would only be for Main Battery up to six guns 

Edited by Aussie_Thunder

253 posts

It can be done on an actual BB, just for your info.

I did not say that it is impossible. But hey, if the Iowa is aiming her foward guns on a Nagato, 12 miles away port side. That means all of her rangefinders and fire command systems are looking at the Nagato. Suddenly, a destroyer Amatsukaze appears 6 miles starboard. Rear turret immediately engage the sneaky destroyer. But without the assist of fire command systems... Good luck trying to hit!

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

The range finders on the turrets of Hood were in fact of greater size and precision than the main fire control director, a function of her age.

Bear in mind, too, that even the secondary guns of the Prinz Eugen (4.2" DP guns) were firing on Prince of Wales at ranges of 15-16km. Bismarck's secondary battery of 5.9"/150mm had considerably better range than that (she also had the same 4.2" as PE as heavy AA). All the 'modern' ships had directors for fore and aft, and also main, secondary AND AA batteries. They could engage multiple targets simultaneously if called to do so, but of course you want to concentrate fire wherever possible.

Regardless, even if you can't fire the batteries independently, the ability to start training your aft turret(s) in anticipation of a turn while still using your forward ones would be useful, and was something asked for in Alpha.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

If we are gonna start to micromanage the ship, I am all for port/starboard helm controls.

Also, can I manage the galley?   Tonight is beans on toast.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I did not say that it is impossible. But hey, if the Iowa is aiming her foward guns on a Nagato, 12 miles away port side. That means all of her rangefinders and fire command systems are looking at the Nagato. Suddenly, a destroyer Amatsukaze appears 6 miles starboard. Rear turret immediately engage the sneaky destroyer. But without the assist of fire command systems... Good luck trying to hit!

There is more than one rangefinder per ship. You can clearly see all the range finders on your ship, for forward/aft main guns as well as secondary guns. The Fire control system takes into account all the rangefinders info to direct the gun(s). As a last ditch effort there is also independent range finders per turrets (those with "ears").
Edited by Windforce

[TF44]
22 posts
8,290 battles

I can see the point that Aussie Thunder is making. It is acknowledged that the slow traverse and reload times are a function of BB. However to make the gameplay less frustrating, I have two suggestions:

1.  Allow the turrets to be controlled in 2 separate groups. Stick with '1' to select main armament. If a player chooses, use 'n' to select forward batteries and 'm' to select stern batteries. If '1' is used, the ship reverts to all batteries under one control; and/or
  2. Extend BB secondary weapons to 2/3 of main weapon range. The present restriction of 4-5km is highly unrealistic for BB secondary armament.

Cheers

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I have been suggesting this since weekend beta to have a button to "neutral" for/aft guns, so that if you are only engaging with forward guns (Approaching the enemy) and don't want your aft guns to over-extent to one side, making it so you either have to be forced to turn that side or turn the other side and wait for your turrets to turn 180 degrees to aim.

If you watch bot ships in co-op when they are not engaged their guns are always in neutral position.

@OP The reason we can't target multiple ships with our main guns is cause of how the gameplay of WoWS is. Since we are physically aiming our guns unlike lets say, a simulation game where you assign targets to your guns to fire, having it so you can aim at two targets is going to be hard since all your main guns (and torpedoes tubes) are tracking based on where you look.

Sign in to follow this