You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

At a DD crossroads... I can't decide which path should I go...

37 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FELLOW CAPTAINS! and THANKS FOR OPENING MY THREAD!

I've been having an enjoyable run with DDs and because of Project R I have two Tier V DDs one from USSR and Japan... I've already researched the heck out of the Gnevny and elited her... and my Minekaze is working her way to be elite and get a Mutsuki... but I don't have the credits to get an Ognevoi so it's going to be a while until I get to a Tier VI DD...:unsure:

Question is, which one should I go for? USSR Ognevoi or Japanese Mutsuki? So far, looking at the stats both just seem so similar apart from a few ups and downs from their predecessors but are barely marginal in any case... but I could be missing something here...

I'm just thinking ahead that once I get to 3M+ credits and I'd like some input as to which ship should I get once that time comes.

THANKS FOR THE READ and HAPPY HUNTING!! :honoring:

1,126 posts

look for lousy but powerful torpedoes? go fore IJNDD line,

- IJNDD torpedoes are design to intercept big ship like BB or CV, if you try to torp CL, CA, DD they most likely able to dodge it.

- they will most likely lose in gun fight against all DD from other nation in 1-1, if you don't have support from team, RUN!!

I don't know about other nation DD though.

Edited by PGM991

211 posts
9,931 battles

Ognevoi imo, you reach T4 captain skill with this ship giving it a 14km range and give you the proper Russian DD experience

the Mutsuki has the 10km upgraded torpedo range but they're painfully slow torpedo's so you really need to get in close to maximize hit chance

Both ships are great and had heaps of fun with the both of them but the Ognevoi felt far easier to play and able to achieve more success in any situation.

724 posts
2,176 battles

I'm not exactly a DD kind of guy,but personally I would go for the Mutsuki cus IJN MASTERRACE

BANZAI!!!11!

*cough*

Jokes aside, IJN DD's are good for stealthy long range torpedo runs, you'll get a 10km max torpedo range if you upgrade the Mutsuki,

while you only get 4km in an Ognevoi.

It kinda depends on your play style tho,if you wanna get in close and launch a salvo while giving the enemy no chance to dodge them at all, but then risking your life,

Go for the Ognevoi.

If you wanna launch a torpedo farther away from the enemy, surprising them but they have higher chance to dodge them, while giving you the chance to avoid direct engagement and stay alive for longer.

Go for the Mutsuki.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

in 0.5.1

definitely Ognevoi

it has much better guns than mutsuki

torpedo?

it only has 4km which is awful

but in 0.5.1 long range torpedo never hit the target

especially the slow and easily-spotted torpedo like that one on mutsuki

in other words,

Ognevoi -> close range gun-torp combat + gunboat

Mutsuki -> close range torping

the answer is obvious

However, there'll be an epic buff on ijn torpedo in 0.5.2

at that time, long range torping strategy may become effective

then it become:

Ognevoi -> close range gun-torp combat + gunboat

Mutsuki -> torping all the way

so...

you better wait for 0.5.2 to see how IJN DD will be

and understand yourself whether you like torpedo(Mutsuki) or gun(Ognevoi)

Edited by CarbonMonoxide

334 posts
13,009 battles

You will rarely hit anything with the Mutsuki torps at long range and still have to get in close to have a decent chance. Artillery is woeful especially if you upgrade to C hull you loose 2 turrets for better AA. If you could rely on your team the long range torps helps with area deniability would be better if they reloaded quicker and improved AA helps your BB's if you hang around them.

On the other hand if you like to live dangerously the Ognevoi can give cruisers a hard time in a shoot out (as long as you move your backside a lot) and having to get close to launch torpedo's means you rarely miss if you live long enough.

Basically Mutsuki depends largely on stealth Ognevoi is more up in your face style.

That's my opinion anyway.

1,126 posts

well, buffing torpedoes spotting range is not yet absolute, so I didn't mention it.

they may cancel it if many report it's OP :(

oh, and don't worry too much if you not score many torpedoes hit.

WG knows that how low hit rate are on higher tier torpedoes, so they scale up xp and money ratio for DD.

1 torpedoes hit is enough for you to get decent xp and money, try focus more on DD main role, capping! spot other DD can call your teammate to fire at him.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Maybe going both in my opinion, so let me say about the down side of the both line when we talking about high tiers.

USSR

- Always got turrets disable, super super annoying because other than guns you nothings.

- Even its a good gunboat but in high tier most of the CAs gonna eat you for snack, and not much you can do about Mogami or Zao other than run.

- Worst concealment 9km+ etc, you will get spotted all the time by IJN DDs

IJN (cannot say much because last time i play was like a year ago)

- Very depending on Torpedoes skill, in high tier there a numbers of skillful player that know how to evade your torpedoes.

- When USN or USSR DDs found you most of the time you won't out gun them

So this is my opinion about high tier DDs :D:D:D

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

44 posts
6,340 battles

Both good ships, and both with pros and cons. Ognevoi gets spotted really easily, so if you haven't got a stealthy DD to work behind life can get a wee bit exciting in a real hurry. Russian DD captains need to be able to dodge like buggery,

Mutsuki is more situational, you won't be winning many gun battles if you go the AA hull but aircraft will regret getting too close.

Depends what play style you prefer, the relatively relaxed 'stalking' style of the Mutsuki or the thrill a minute Ognevoi. I enjoyed both in different moods, but I knew I'd have to really be on the ball to do well in the Ognevoi, whereas the Mutsuki was more useable say late at night if I was tired. Finally, the Ognevoi leads to the mighty Kiev, with the highest win rate of any ship in the game (unless I'm very much mistaken), which would be the clincher if it were up to me.

.....oh and yeah, the turrets on the Ognevoi got knocked out all the time, even with the 125,000 protection module. I even lost both the back and front turrets with the first hit I took maybe a minute in to a game once.

Edited by Biggus

44 posts
6,340 battles

^

Kiev is about to be nerfed, as it should be.

Always happens when I get a ship (or a tank in WoT). Even stock with a retraining commander it's a beast, so it should still be pretty sweet..

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Mutsuki is the first real torpedo DD in the JP line, so if you enjoyed torpedoing targets so far, then you'll enjoy it with her, too.

Her guns are still effective for finishing low health targets or against other DDs, but compared to Pantsuharu or Fubuki they're... lackluster.

(The guns can reach a descent range though once you've got AFT)

Ognevoi like pretty much all other RU DDs is a CL rather than a DD.

I would compare her mostly to Yuubari, if you've ever played that one.

She focuses on accurate shooting with her two twin-mount 130mm guns, well, to be fair all RU DDs rely on accurate shooting...

The question of which one to pick first is pretty much your own personal preference.

RU DDs are great at hunting DDs and perforating CAs/BBs, while JP DDs are best at hunting large targets while

also having the guns to finish them off or to actively fight other DDs or even CAs.

In addition I'd say that RU DDs are easy to learn, hard to master,

while JP DDs (starting with Mutsuki) are hard to learn, easy to master.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Mutsuki was pretty fun for me, despite the lacklustre guns, problem is the Hatsuharu has better guns but having only 6 torpedo tubes becomes a pain at that tier as the long reload and two shots means you have to have a really good aim or the enemy has to be pretty bad.driver

the biggest difference between Mutsuki and Hatsuharu is manoeuvrability, the Mutsuki still retains a decent speed and turning circle while the Hatsuharu becomes slower...

No opinion on the USSR DD's sorry

423 posts
3,175 battles

^ well, feels like a prematured ejact... eeerr, I mean fast firing guns pound hard on the opponents...

Edited by jchen8792

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Murica for the win, I find them more fun than IJN and USSR, got to tier 8 and still got good reason to go further :)

Is fun especially when you can invisible fire to some poor Battleship :D:D:D

I got Fletcher and almost at the Gearing but prob want to grind Shimakaze atm :P

1,230 posts
2,367 battles

I prefer GunBoat Fire Support DD, with torps as secondaries

(My playstyle is quite aggressive, lol, if they know how to aim I'd die, but as I keep low tiers there's lots who don't know how to kill a DD, so I just fire guns, be invinsiHE maker, and sometimes I charge in to what like 3 km and drop torps at a very short range lol, then smoke camp and runaway)

so, I would say Ognevoi

But if you haz a Nicolas too, I'd go to Farragut

580 posts
1,587 battles

Thank you for the replies ladies and gentlemen... From what I'm gathering it's really up to my playstyle... but my problem is I'm settled with both Russian Gunboat and IJN Torpedo Ninja Boat play...

I found this unexpected since I never did see myself as a DD captain when I started playing WoWS yet here I am faced by two good ships from the DD line... I'll need more time to think since I am do not have the suffecient credits yet...

Happy Hunting fellow captains and Happy Holidays...  :honoring:

Beta Tester
39 posts
2,110 battles

I prefer GunBoat Fire Support DD, with torps as secondaries

(My playstyle is quite aggressive, lol, if they know how to aim I'd die, but as I keep low tiers there's lots who don't know how to kill a DD, so I just fire guns, be invinsiHE maker, and sometimes I charge in to what like 3 km and drop torps at a very short range lol, then smoke camp and runaway)

so, I would say Ognevoi

But if you haz a Nicolas too, I'd go to Farragut

playstyle same as mine..although im okay with 2 diff playstyle..snipe torp DD (IJN) or gunboat (USN/Soviet) im comfortable on both..although im more into soviet DDs..them citadel hits is getting me hooked!

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Mutsuki plays like any other low tier IJN DD. It's all about stealth, dropping your torps out of sight and hope it hits something. I must say i loathe this playstyle and i cherish my Hatsuharu (yes! Surprising!), since she has serviceable guns.

Ognevoi on the other hand is a very capable gun boat that suffers for having only two turrets. Which mean if one is gone, you lost 50% of your fire power.