Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HenryCrun

Turrets - independant fire.

12 comments in this topic

219 posts
3,373 battles

Why can't we control the direction of fire of individual turrets....particularly those on battleships?

This was/is a real-life capability  - an essential capability at that - yet is something missing in this game.

1,126 posts

few people seem to like it but turn out it's look like too complicate to achieve.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7637-is-it-possible-to-separate-forwardrear-turret-control/page__fromsearch__1

WG try to make this game stay simplicity as much as possible.... I think.

I still dream that I could load HE and AP at the same time...

219 posts
3,373 battles

"Too complicated".  What rubbish!

Sounds like a good excuse for WG to keep the game dumbed down.

Thanks for your reply and the link, all the same.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Meanwhile some other tank game we could mention has not only included coaxial MGs AND roof mounted MGs for use on soft/air targets, but things like the M3 Lee or the Maus get to use BOTH their weapons (the Maus has a 75mm in a coaxial mount, lol).

If it's too complicated for WG maybe they should hire some people with skills? I'm sure they do have the skill to do it, which shows how dishonest the 'too complicated' excuse is.

No, it's not too complicated, they simply choose not to do it. Just as they've chosen not to do a host of other things.

Edited by Steeltrap

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Meanwhile some other tank game we could mention has not only included coaxial MGs AND roof mounted MGs for use on soft/air targets, but things like the M3 Lee or the Maus get to use BOTH their weapons (the Maus has a 75mm in a coaxial mount, lol).

If it's too complicated for WG maybe they should hire some people with skills? I'm sure they do have the skill to do it, which shows how dishonest the 'too complicated' excuse is.

No, it's not too complicated, they simply choose not to do it. Just as they've chosen not to do a host of other things.

*Meanwhile in other game you can do it :trollface:

Anyways i kinda respect their decision if they make the game too complicate it will make some peoples suffer i guess :D:D:D

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

I'd suggest independent turret traverse would give a greater opportunity for 'skill' to come into a frequently relatively skill-less game.

If done properly people could choose to use it or not. It would be no different to how it is now for those who did not wish to use it, but would allow some greater control for mainly BB players.

Just because other people can't tie their own shoe laces why should I be told I can only wear slip-ons?

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I'd suggest independent turret traverse would give a greater opportunity for 'skill' to come into a frequently relatively skill-less game.

If done properly people could choose to use it or not. It would be no different to how it is now for those who did not wish to use it, but would allow some greater control for mainly BB players.

Just because other people can't tie their own shoe laces why should I be told I can only wear slip-ons?

I know what you mean because i really want to have it, but all the recently patch seem to only fix the issue not create the new mechanics into the game or anythings i would love to see the improvement of the game.

Sooon™ i guess :D:D:D 

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Historically I always thought independent fire for main batteries of the same caliber was impractical as they wouldn't have enough fire control directors to watch the shells hit/miss and adjust accordingly. Secondary batteries engaged targets at closer ranges  that they could adjust accordingly themselves but big main guns couldn't do that while maintaining a acceptable rate of fire. 

423 posts
3,175 battles

well, WG is very afraid to release another ArmA 7 at sea named "World of Warsheep"... I guess...

219 posts
3,373 battles

Historically I always thought independent fire for main batteries of the same caliber was impractical as they wouldn't have enough fire control directors to watch the shells hit/miss and adjust accordingly. Secondary batteries engaged targets at closer ranges  that they could adjust accordingly themselves but big main guns couldn't do that while maintaining a acceptable rate of fire.

By the apex of battleship development, and NOT including radar-controlled directing (which I am sure will never be implemented in WoWs), the capability existed for the forward turrets (A,B,C in the UK designation) to be separately directed from the X, Y, Z stern turrets.

Battleships didn't always just fire broadsides.

And, sadly, like the man (Umidoori) said, this game bears as much resemblance to "history" as does "Back To The Future". :)

Edited by HenryCrun

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Historically I always thought independent fire for main batteries of the same caliber was impractical as they wouldn't have enough fire control directors to watch the shells hit/miss and adjust accordingly.

Secondary batteries engaged targets at closer ranges  that they could adjust accordingly themselves but big main guns couldn't do that while maintaining a acceptable rate of fire. 

The range finders on the turrets of Hood were in fact of greater size and precision than the main fire control director, a function of her age.

Bear in mind, too, that even the secondary guns of the Prinz Eugen (4.2" DP guns) were firing on Prince of Wales at ranges of 15-16km. Bismarck's secondary battery of 5.9"/150mm had considerably better range than that (she also had the same 4.2" as PE as heavy AA). All the 'modern' ships had directors for fore and aft, and also main, secondary AND AA batteries. They could engage multiple targets simultaneously if called to do so, but of course you want to concentrate fire wherever possible.

Regardless, even if you can't fire the batteries independently, the ability to start training your aft turret(s) in anticipation of a turn while still using your forward ones would be useful, and was something asked for in Alpha.

Sign in to follow this