You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArchitakuVNN

Should WG replace the Pensacola with Northampton?

13 comments in this topic

253 posts

First, i don't know where this topic should be but it's more likely to be here so i decided to post it here. If not, please move it to a more suitable section.

sVNBPOn.jpg
The design of the ships was heavily influenced by the Washington Naval Treaty, which limited cruisers to a maximum of 10,000 tons displacement and a maximum main battery caliber of 8 inches (203 mm). The Northamptons were a reaction to the weight and cost of the immediately preceding Pensacola class, differing in several ways. The Pensacolas mounted a main battery of 10 8-inch (203 mm) guns in four turrets, a twin and superfiring triple fore and aft. In contrast, the Northamptons mounted 9 8-inch (203 mm) guns in three triple turrets, two forward and one aft, the layout followed in all subsequent U.S. heavy cruisers. Although armor was increased, the Northamptons turned out to be lighter than the Pensacolas, and nearly 1,000 tons below the treaty limitations. Freeboard was increased in the Northamptons by adopting a high forecastle, which was extended aft in the last three for use as flagships. These ships were also the first U.S. ships to adopt a hangar for aircraft, and bunks instead of hammocks. Their lighter than expected weight caused them to roll excessively, which necessitated the fitting of deep bilge keels. 
Source: Wikipedia

The Northampton herself, in game would likely to be played the same way as the Pensacola. Except that one thing: She has more armor. More armor means less chance of getting citadel'd, which is a good thing and good news for most Pensacola players. And she also has torpedoes (I don't think WG will let us use tho). The only downside is that she has 1 less gun than the Pensacola, but i think that is not much of an issue. 
So, what do you think? Should we have the Northampton as the tier VII cruiser instead of the Pensacola? 

Here is Northampton in the game Battlestations: Pacific battling against a Mogami
HfoMadO.jpg

And...

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

It will make no meaningful difference aside from a cosmetic one so no, and personally I'd prefer having that extra gun of the Pensacola (surely they may buff the rate of fire sooner or later) - Both the Pensacola and Northampton were still comparatively light in armor compared to IJN Cruisers due to treaty limits. tbh I don't see a difference between the Northampton and New Orleans at tier 8 aside from the armor, both have 9x 8" guns in the same layout and similar AA and secondaries, no torpedoes and all. Plus the Pensacola has the distinction of being the first heavy cruiser for the US navy 

I personally still like my Pensacola and I liked the New Orleans in CBT, but I don't really have any reason to progress further in the USN CA line as they have no advantage over the IJN Cruisers except for in AA, which compared to CBT days doesn't seem to matter as people don't seem to play CV's as much

[ARSUP]
Beta Tester
19 posts
2,191 battles

Im all for the Portland class, wanna get my hands on the Indianapolis

Edited by patch437

40 posts

They look exactly the same, Northampton still have crappy armor and under weight compare to 14K tons Myoko.

For game balance: just nerf Myoko, all Japanese cruisers are hilariously strong after number of buffs.

40 posts

wait....They have torpedoes??? I'm in!!

Northampton-class use to have torpedoes when they commissioned, but USN suffered from poor torpedoes quality before war, so they replace it in exchange for more AA guns.

Pensacola-class also have torpedoes (2x3 533mm) but only "Sara Maru" carry them. I heard on EU from an old thread mentioned about "Pensacola 1930 with torpedoes" model from gamesmodel3d (not sure the model still there or removed), alongside with Kamikaze, Worcester and Buffalo.

Maybe one day, "Pepsi" might able to get access to C hull for 2x3 533mm torpedoes. :teethhappy:

Edited by AlexPlayWOWS