Viikka

Are IJN Carriers really that OP?

20 comments in this topic

5 posts
933 battles

I've been reading a lot on the forums about how people says IJN Carriers are a lot more better and versatile compared to their USN counter parts. Is this really true? Because when I play my Tier V IJN Carrier, Zuihou and I get paired up against a Bogue that's running fighter config.. My experience is literally this... Press ESC and leave the game because in NO way am I going to be able to even get close to that Bogue to bomb him since he's just going to shoot down all of my planes like they're made of paper.

How is this even fair? Am I doing something wrong or is it literally no way I can win this battle... I've tried using my dive bombers to lure 1 squadron away and using my fighters to lure the other squadron, but in the end by the time I get close to that Bogue, both of his squadrons have already chewed up my fighters and DBs and are starting to rip down my TBs..

Seriously? What can I do?

Hell, even going up against a Langley, I still can't win in dog fights.. I literally can't do sh*t when all the Bogue has to do is select his squadron and then demolish mine and then GG.. I get to do f**k all..

I realize I'm only on Tier V right now and it might change later on, but this still really frustrates me... What am I supposed to do? Can someone please enlighten me?

[WOWMB]
Beta Tester
12 posts
2,902 battles

hrm basically ijn CV assault configuration required surprise attack . Im running on ryujo with nuke configuration vs independence fighter setup

my usual route against this is setup is:

1.deploy all and send nuke paper squad at edge of map to keep their presence undetected

2.sent fighter go scout:look: for its fighter

3.pick target:look: which is most likely enemy fighter having hard time to chase before its too late

4.make sure every payload(torpedo) count in single:red_button: strike because there wont be second one

5.one squad for distraction, one squad for true strike

6.watch:look: your target burn or flooded

7.surely it will cost most time doing it:hmm: and hope your team don't get early annihilated

any other tips sure help us CV IJN captain out there:honoring:

psst use DB first in strike then came in with TB

Edited by MEOW

280 posts
3,514 battles

ill say us carriers have air supperiority and as the WG said that the us carrier are focused on dive bombers than torp bombers well DB is my bait and the torpedo squads are my supah strikaz its simple      but if the ijn can get 2 squads of fighters and attack your fighters    it is now balanced!

just figured that ijn cvs are afraid of something

Edited by Vorshlaghammer666

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

Are IJN carriers OP? No, the last nerf has weakened them considerably.

I personally find pre-nerf Zuiho (and Ryujo, to lesser extent) to be broken beyond belief. Now they're not OP anymore, but still powerful.

I'm by no mean a great IJN CV player (I'm only up to Hiryu and Independence), but here's my two cents regarding them:

1. Never go fighter setup. It's just not rewarding, and much less fun than strike setup.

2. Don't get obsessed with sinking enemy CVs. Most of the time, it takes too much time and effort to do it. Time and effort which better spent on striking more vulnerable ships and protecting your teammates.

3. Separate your TB squads and DB squads so that your target can only see either of them. This way, they'll (hopefully) lower their guard and use Repair right away. Now your second wave of attack is free to inflict flooding/fire damage to the target.

4. Related to no. 3 above, don't use Repair immediately if you're being hit by enemy TB/DB squad. They might be using strategy above. Just let your ship burn/flood, you have enough HP for it. (trivia: ALL of my Fireproof and Unsinkable medals are obtained by playing CVs because of this strategy)

5. If you're up against fighter setup CVs, park your TB and DB squads above your friendly cruisers/battleships. Then wait patiently for an opening, it'll come eventually. Alternatively you can send them to the other side of the map where there are no enemy fighters. The trip will be longer but it's better than just waiting.

6. Use your fighters' ability (Alt + left click). It's surprisingly powerful. Even when outnumbered it can usually kill more enemy planes than they kill yours.

7. Lastly, always be moving. Don't blame your team if a DD manages to sneak through and kill you. 9 out of 10 it's the CV's fault for staying in their spawn point. You're a ship that carries aircraft, not an airport. Move.

Edited by CodingSession

[WOWMB]
Beta Tester
12 posts
2,902 battles

ill say us carriers have air supperiority and as the WG said that the us carrier are focused on dive bombers than torp bombers well DB is my bait and the torpedo squads are my supah strikaz its simple      but if the ijn can get 2 squads of fighters and attack your fighters    it is now balanced!

Maybe IJN Really is OP

i dont know about being OP that 18 usn fighter vs 12 paper IJN fighter

5 posts
933 battles

Okay, I went back into a few more games and.. Walla.... I get paired up against another Bogue and Hoshou combo while my teams get's another Hoshou along side my own Zuihou. I've tried bordering my planes and hide them from sight.. Many times, but most of the time, I was found and was forced to retreat. Afterwards, I again became a sitting duck because all the Bogue did was camp me and I literally cannot do shit, not even when the other Hoshou decides to come help with his own set of fighters because it seems like IJN fighters are just made out of paper! What the hell?!

Oh yeah, IJN gets more striking power than USS, I can see that, but what's the point of striking power when you CAN'T EVEN GET THEM TO YOUR TARGET?!...... Seriously.... POINT?!

There's no way of retaliation..... On such a low tier battle where not even camping ally ships and borrowing their AA can do you much, all they do is sit outside the AA range and watch you like an Eagle..

"Distract them with 1 squad and stealth the other 2 out and bypass his fighters?"

Really....? I've said this before, they just come after the bombers with their much much faster speed, sure you maybe able to get a few torps off but as you all know, IJN TB Torp spread is terrible, you cannot even sink them in one go.. and forget about using flooding to kill them. Most experienced CV players all know this, this shit is literally the most basic stuff CV players need to keep in mind... So you torp him once wait for him to repair and torp him again right?   Yeahhh no.... he just never repairs and during that time you're waiting for him, he just flies his fighters back and rips your planes apart... Oh and did I mention it's impossible to get away from their fighters because they're faster?

Really... How is this even balanced?

Unless the enemy Bogue is a complete derp and don't know how to send planes out or even what he can do, (Which I have met before, literally did nothing the entire game but sail in circles) there is literally.. No Chance for IJN Carriers of the same Tier to be able to do anything once you're spotted.... And you know how pub matches go, all the cruisers think they're a BB and go in front line just to get blown up once they come out from behind the mountain......

Anything else I can actually do? Because I might as well delete my Zuihou and just focus on Cruisers or BB... Playing an IJN CV going againsts a USS CV... still f**king bullshit.

Rant Over.

PS: I hate all you Bogue players out there that use Fighter Config.

280 posts
3,514 battles

haha love the bogue and schitth

many IJN Carriers are afraid of being caught by us fighters too!!

since the fighters have more planes and strong    this will make your day!!

Now That's Snapes on my Plane !

i really love my big fat bogue

Edited by Vorshlaghammer666

[WOWMB]
Beta Tester
12 posts
2,902 battles

Okay, I went back into a few more games and.. Walla.... I get paired up against another Bogue and Hoshou combo while my teams get's another Hoshou along side my own Zuihou. I've tried bordering my planes and hide them from sight.. Many times, but most of the time, I was found and was forced to retreat. Afterwards, I again became a sitting duck because all the Bogue did was camp me and I literally cannot do shit, not even when the other Hoshou decides to come help with his own set of fighters because it seems like IJN fighters are just made out of paper! What the hell?!

Oh yeah, IJN gets more striking power than USS, I can see that, but what's the point of striking power when you CAN'T EVEN GET THEM TO YOUR TARGET?!...... Seriously.... POINT?!

There's no way of retaliation..... On such a low tier battle where not even camping ally ships and borrowing their AA can do you much, all they do is sit outside the AA range and watch you like an Eagle..

"Distract them with 1 squad and stealth the other 2 out and bypass his fighters?"

Really....? I've said this before, they just come after the bombers with their much much faster speed, sure you maybe able to get a few torps off but as you all know, IJN TB Torp spread is terrible, you cannot even sink them in one go.. and forget about using flooding to kill them. Most experienced CV players all know this, this shit is literally the most basic stuff CV players need to keep in mind... So you torp him once wait for him to repair and torp him again right?   Yeahhh no.... he just never repairs and during that time you're waiting for him, he just flies his fighters back and rips your planes apart... Oh and did I mention it's impossible to get away from their fighters because they're faster?

Unless the enemy Bogue is a complete derp and don't know how to send planes out or even what he can do, (Which I have met before, literally did nothing the entire game but sail in circles) there is literally.. No Chance for IJN Carriers of the same Tier to be able to do anything once you're spotted.... And you know how pub matches go, all the cruisers think they're a BB and go in front line just to get blown up once they come out from behind the mountain......

Anything else I can actually do? Because I might as well delete my Zuihou and just focus on Cruisers or BB... Playing an IJN CV going againsts a USS CV... still f**king bullshit.

Rant Over.

be strong my IJN CV captain :)

path of CV is not for those weak heart its for honorable,patient and sharp mind captain

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

Rant Over.

If it's any consolation, he's sacrificing credits and exp by going fighter setup.

Also, keep going. Things get better once you get to Hiryu. Seems like WG nerfed Zuiho and Ryujo too severely.

420 posts
20 battles

Rant Over.

You can try Bogue, and will give another type of rant :)

I find that no fighter loadout Bogue is better than the more Fighter loadout.

I want to point that Dive bomber is faster than torpedo bomber, only a few knots slower than fighters. Chasing them is by no means easy, they can just lure away fighters to the area with heavy AA cover.

If you frustrate so much about Bogue with Fighter setup.

Simply dont fly your precious bomber into the range of Bogue's Fighter, until she is destroyed.

Bogue with Fighter setup only has a single Dive bomber squadron, not much threat to your team.

Not much threat to you either, if you don't fly any plane.

Edited by Zwelivelle

6 posts
3,379 battles

IJN cvs aren't OP, good captains make them look OP. CVs are only as good as their planes, and they are the most vulnerable ship in the game. Torpedo bomber Cooldown is 19 seconds,  10 seconds take off and another for landing, 15 seconds per kilometer traveling time, torpedo speed is 35 knots and only 3.5 km range, even a destroyer can outrun it and you say it's OP? IJN CVs are like a heavyweight boxer with an ultra slow but powerful punch, that is really easy to dodge but when you are not paying attention to the fist and it hits you then you'll say it's OP, but if it misses,  you'll laugh yourself to the ground. Destroyers torpedo, 60 knots and 7 kilometer range, 30 seconds cooldown, bbs need to get atleast 6 torpedo hits on their hull and flooding in order to kill them, CAs has good maneuverability to dodge those widespread torpedos and have really good AA to shot one or two planes, and they tell me IJN cvs are OP Or CVs in general. I don't know what will satisfy people these days. 

5 posts
933 battles

IJN cvs aren't OP, good captains make them look OP. CVs are only as good as their planes, and they are the most vulnerable ship in the game. Torpedo bomber Cooldown is 19 seconds,  10 seconds take off and another for landing, 15 seconds per kilometer traveling time, torpedo speed is 35 knots and only 3.5 km range, even a destroyer can outrun it and you say it's OP? IJN CVs are like a heavyweight boxer with an ultra slow but powerful punch, that is really easy to dodge but when you are not paying attention to the fist and it hits you then you'll say it's OP, but if it misses,  you'll laugh yourself to the ground. Destroyers torpedo, 60 knots and 7 kilometer range, 30 seconds cooldown, bbs need to get atleast 6 torpedo hits on their hull and flooding in order to kill them, CAs has good maneuverability to dodge those widespread torpedos and have really good AA to shot one or two planes, and they tell me IJN cvs are OP Or CVs in general. I don't know what will satisfy people these days. 

I never said or felt that IJN Carriers are OP, I was wondering why so many people call it op, because from my experience, it's bloody terrible when you can't do shit and get camped...

211 posts
9,931 battles

Chin up, if the enemy Bouge has gone double fighters they have no real damage potential only map dominance and scouting,

just be patient and try scout for your team as much as you can without getting your fighters cornered. 

I tend to keep my bombers ready in the air waiting to pounce on any enemy ships that advance too far, be patient and the opportunity to nuke will come, be ready to seize it.

Sometimes something like baiting both of the Bouges fighters to attack some dive bombers  and having your fighters ready for a strafing run will wreck the Bouge, they have a limited amount of planes.

Things like trying to force his fighters out of position to defend their dive bombers can open up an opportunity to expose and nuke a BB.

Don't just give up or send all the bombers to die,

Test the waters, check the skill levels of your opponent. 

If they're going to sit and camp you with their Nub kit :child:dual fighter config at least make it boring for them.

It used to frustrate me until i learnt to deal with fighter heavy players now i just kinda chuckle at them, be patient the opportunity will come.

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

See this?

This is why puppies die in animal shelters, WG. 

Think of the puppies.

Fix CV MM.

What do you mean? CV MM has already been fixed long ago. Before, it's possible for one team to have more CVs than the other team. This screenshot might give you a heart attack:

isLr1eH.jpg

Note the irony in the loading message. Oh, and that Zuiho? He died in three minutes.

Before the nerf, Zuiho used to eat Bogue as a snack. I love meeting Bogue in my Zuiho:

PKTzmPQ.jpg

But yeah, I think IJN CVs have been nerfed too much now.

Edited by CodingSession

4 posts
134 battles

Just fly your aircraft above a pack of cruisers. Fighters won't take their chances to harass your squadrons above a thick layer of AA.

EDIT: Just had 2x2 IJN vs USN CV matchup. Didn't go well for both our fighters. I once took a squadron of Langley fighters and even under AA cover my squadron got decimated and he suffered only one loss (to a Myogi's AA). On the other news, it took us 2 squadrons of fighters and some AA cover to down one of those Langley squadrons.

So yeah, IJN's playstyle when it comes to CVs require patience, strategy, and much baiting.

Edited by zootopia

621 posts
2,271 battles

What do you mean? CV MM has already been fixed long ago. Before, it's possible for one team to have more CVs than the other team. This screenshot might give you a heart attack:

isLr1eH.jpg

Note the irony in the loading message. Oh, and that Zuiho? He died in three minutes.

Before the nerf, Zuiho used to eat Bogue as a snack. I love meeting Bogue in my Zuiho:

PKTzmPQ.jpg

But yeah, I think IJN CVs have been nerfed too much now.

Well yeah, I know that. 

IJN CV is playable if it's 1v1 against Bogue (Not 2/0/1) or with equal matching. Not 2 Zh vs 2 Bogue though