Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
UnasSinkerOfShips

Driving the Pepsi-Cola

31 comments in this topic

406 posts
6,287 battles

I can't for the life of me get the hang of this ship - currently I only have the Range Module unlocked, soon to get the Hull upgrade.

My thoughts so far are this:

The guns fire sloooooow, The Turret traverse feels  like a Battleship, They hit like Marshmallows, the Armor buckles if another ship so much as looks at it funny, Its made of Petrol soaked oil rags and is generally a bad ship.

However - I am sure that the problem is not the ship, but the Captain. However I can't figure out how to drive this ship and it is driving me nuts!

Super Tester
325 posts
1,711 battles

Well, cola got more powerful 203mm guns.

Turn slow, reload slow, but shooting angle is not bad, easy to citadel CA/CL, these are the common features of 203 gun(IJN CA with 203 guns also have those features as well)

Unlike 152mm guns, this gun is possible to citadel most of CA armor in middle-long range(10km-15km)

I would say that the possibly one con of cola is her armor, cola's armor is not thick enough to prevent being citadeled from 152 guns

Edited by AkiiKan

Super Tester
325 posts
1,711 battles

Terrible ship. I sold mine. I prefer light cruisers - faster reloads, better turning, torpedoes, you name it. The Pensacola is an utter dog of a ship.

If you think so, then you may not suitable to use all kinds of high Tier CA

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Funnily Enough I find the Pepsi Cola a better ship than the Myoko (from my experienece), the smaller ship has a better turning circle and its hard hitting guns are pretty good. Both Cruisers will get Citadelled by Battleships, but the Pepsicola can turn faster and hide its sides from BB's faster and has better firing angles to protect the sides.

Also while not having torpedoes is a shame, the Myoko's torpedos have a bad firing angle that means you expose your sides to the enemy to launch them and can prove to be a distraction

Edited by Blitzkreig95

55 posts
3,922 battles

It's a horrible ship: stealth of a battleship, citadel of a Japanese cruiser, shell arc of a US cruiser.  About all it's good for is AA defense, and even there it is worse than the preceding ship, the Cleveland.  I used all the free XP I had saved, about 41K or so, to end the pain and get to the New Orleans.

27 posts
5,114 battles

Actually she is one of my Favorite CA.. she had good guns and good AA.. and also fast rudder shift which allow you to fire and angle yourself to the enemy...

She might have a weak armour(I experience being 1 shot at 17km by a NorCa for the first time).. but angling will help you tor reduced the potential of being citadel or being damage.. except if the enemy is using HE because thats the downside of all US Ships.

fm2xcw.jpg 

406 posts
6,287 battles

Actually she is one of my Favorite CA.. she had good guns and good AA.. and also fast rudder shift which allow you to fire and angle yourself to the enemy...

She might have a weak armour(I experience being 1 shot at 17km by a NorCa for the first time).. but angling will help you tor reduced the potential of being citadel or being damage.. except if the enemy is using HE because thats the downside of all US Ships.

fm2xcw.jpg 

Nice work - how should I approach this ship? it feels like I'm angling fine, but I get spotted well before I can get into an effective position and start to lay some hurt down.

Maybe its My play style and the ship aren't compatible - but I think there is something I am missing with how to drive!

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Once you upgrade her always fire at an angle, just enough to have all guns firing, but sloped enough and at a range where you have time to turn you ship to minimise surface area exposed to the enemy - the Pepsicola's choice targets being other cruisers then DD's or BB's as the Pensicolas AP rounds do wonders against IJN Cruisers

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

Unlike 152mm guns, this gun is possible to citadel most of CA armor in middle-long range(10km-15km)

I would say that the possibly one con of cola is her armor, cola's armor is not thick enough to prevent being citadeled from 152 guns

If they are willing to show you the broadside.

I bet u don't play on Pensa much, the ship can get cit'ed from above or in front / rear

Edit :

you don't even own a Pensacola .-.

Edited by R3negade

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Had many great games with the Pensa. Still couldn't like her due to her armor which seems to be made of tissue paper... 

If the Pepsicola has tissue paper armor does that make German armor = dynamite? Least the Pepsicola doesn't experience detonations :P

Super Tester
325 posts
1,711 battles

If they are willing to show you the broadside.

I bet u don't play on Pensa much, the ship can get cit'ed from above or in front / rear

Edit :

you don't even own a Pensacola .-.

I can test all ships on ST server :P

well, all I said is just a theoretically situation, plz dun mind

Edited by AkiiKan

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,175 battles

If the Pepsicola has tissue paper armor does that make German armor = dynamite? Least the Pepsicola doesn't experience detonations :P

That's why i don't play German cruisers. I've seen Yorck got detonated at the beginning of the game.

460 posts
8,353 battles

I only just recently got the pensacola as well and am having similar issues. I don't feel it's a bad ship, it's guns are really nice, just it's really easy for the enemy to demolish you in a few salvoes. I have to work out a new role, or place for this ship to fight effectively and do damage, I haven't had any luck so far. One thing that does seem to help is having some cover to slip behind, but often I don't have enough time to make it to cover. Maybe I'll get better with some practise.

66 posts
4,900 battles

Well,

Hello Cadets........being a veteran US CA Captain now commanding the New Orleans, i know how frustrating it feels driving the Pepsi. But trust me......higher tier US CA's arent that better too except the Des Moines which is a DPM Monster like the good old Cleveland. But once you perfect the PEPSI you would not need worry about the playstyle of higher tier US CA's as they are similar too. All you have to do is follow these rules:

1. Don't run into the thick of the action as you all did in the Cleveland. Here you are likely to be killed very early in the game. "Keep calm and support BB against enemy CA/CL/DD and give them AAA support" should be your motto.

2. Against enemy CA/CL always go on the aggressive if you have a fellow cruiser along with you. Pepsicola alone is a very attractive proposition for enemy ships to kill.

3. When you see BB even if he is alone do only one thing...............RUN BITCH!........................Pepsi unlike contemporary Jap Cruisers don't have torpedoes and unlike in the Cleveland where you could kill lonely BB by HE Spamming, here Pepsi will fail miserably.

4. Follow the above rules perfectly:trollface:.

Thats it folks............if you just stick to them then I can assure you that y'all will be able to breeze through the Pepsi quickly.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,526 battles

Funnily Enough I find the Pepsi Cola a better ship than the Myoko (from my experienece), the smaller ship has a better turning circle and its hard hitting guns are pretty good. Both Cruisers will get Citadelled by Battleships, but the Pepsicola can turn faster and hide its sides from BB's faster and has better firing angles to protect the sides.

Also while not having torpedoes is a shame, the Myoko's torpedos have a bad firing angle that means you expose your sides to the enemy to launch them and can prove to be a distraction

LOL in my Myoko, I actively seek Pensas... omnomnomnom :izmena:

74 posts
3,241 battles

If you think so, then you may not suitable to use all kinds of high Tier CA

Fair comment, although in the Open Beta test recently I found the Atago a usable ship. But the Pensacola, no. I'm not a brilliant player, but I can at least get results from light cruisers and destroyers. With the Pensacola I gave up because it didn't seem to matter what I did, I got sunk every time, early in the game, having achieved very little.

423 posts
3,175 battles

Had many great games with the Pensa. Still couldn't like her due to her armor which seems to be made of tissue paper... 

you do realized that tissue paper doesn't fload, right?

J/K: about to buy the Pepsi to try out the tier VII, but don't really know if should I...

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,175 battles

J/K: about to buy the Pepsi to try out the tier VII, but don't really know if should I...

Nope, if you want a tier VII, go for Myoko, she is fantastic. Pensacola is not too bad, but certainly, Pensa has no match for Myoko. Myoko is just better in every way.

27 posts
5,114 battles

Nice work - how should I approach this ship? it feels like I'm angling fine, but I get spotted well before I can get into an effective position and start to lay some hurt down.

Maybe its My play style and the ship aren't compatible - but I think there is something I am missing with how to drive!

SInce USN Cruisers doesn't have torpedoes.. going a against BBs is NOT a good Idea.. first because of their Armour and second they doesn't that enough Firepower to bring down a BB alone.. unlike IJN Cruisers who do "Torpedo Facepalm" against those BB who approaches them..

The best thing you can do when your In a Pensacola to stay near your BBs to avoid being Focused Fire and to snipe down their Cruisers at long range.. since Pensacola have a good angle of fire(Unlike Cleveland) you can easily Penetrate an Aoba, Myoko or Mogami at long range.. Don't worry about the Myoko and Mogami returning fire on you because you can easily avoid them..(at 14km+ the shell travel time of Myoko and Mogami are long enough to be avoided by a Cruiser)..

and When the enemy BBs are down.. you can go aggressive but make sure your teammates are following you or you might end being FF by their Cruisers or CVs...

ALL IN ALL, You just need to be on defensive in early game. stay alive as much as you can, then Wreak Havoc in the middle and late game..

66 posts
4,900 battles

SInce USN Cruisers doesn't have torpedoes.. going a against BBs is NOT a good Idea.. first because of their Armour and second they doesn't that enough Firepower to bring down a BB alone.. unlike IJN Cruisers who do "Torpedo Facepalm" against those BB who approaches them..

The best thing you can do when your In a Pensacola to stay near your BBs to avoid being Focused Fire and to snipe down their Cruisers at long range.. since Pensacola have a good angle of fire(Unlike Cleveland) you can easily Penetrate an Aoba, Myoko or Mogami at long range.. Don't worry about the Myoko and Mogami returning fire on you because you can easily avoid them..(at 14km+ the shell travel time of Myoko and Mogami are long enough to be avoided by a Cruiser)..

and When the enemy BBs are down.. you can go aggressive but make sure your teammates are following you or you might end being FF by their Cruisers or CVs...

ALL IN ALL, You just need to be on defensive in early game. stay alive as much as you can, then Wreak Havoc in the middle and late game..

I think i just said the same thing in my earlier reply.......lolz

Sign in to follow this