Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

American Cruiser AA

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
822 posts
8,747 battles

I quite enjoy tagging along behind a Battleship and providing AA, or doing the same for a Carrier.

I like countering enemy air full stop actually.

But at 66, the Pensacola seems to have the best AA of all the American cruisers.

Is there a tier multiplier of some kind?

The Pensa is tier VII - does it's 66 AA count better than a lower AA number on a higher tier cruiser?

I don't seem to have much luck shooting down higher tier aircraft.

Does American AA top out at Pensa?

420 posts
20 battles

Ah, you don't need to look at those numbers.

You'll probably not believe me if Hatsuharu has strong AA.

The only matter is the damage shown at each AAA stat at port.

Edited to give more detail explanation.

That stat you mentioned is just correspond for the same ship at the same tier.

So you can compare that AA, with Hatsuharu, which is at the same tier for example.

It also goes up when you put extra upgrade or captain skill.

So if you compare your Pensa with another player's Pensa and sees + or - 1 difference, it probably because of that.

Furutaka has 70 artillery which if you use that statistic as comparison, she bests Pensacola, which is impossible Lol.

So does with my North Carolina, which has 90 AA rating. Looking at that only makes Montana has worse AA.

Which if you want to check the damage for each AAA between two ships at port, certainly Montana sports better.

Edited by Zwelivelle

Beta Tester
822 posts
8,747 battles

Yes, that's what I mean. Pensa AA stat higher than Baltimore.

Does that mean tier 7 pensa better at shooting down plans than tier 10?

420 posts
20 battles

I mean the damage per minute at each AA gun which you can see under the ship's AA tab at port. That is the one that you should pay attention.

Not the summary like card.

Edited by Zwelivelle

Beta Tester
822 posts
8,747 battles

Yeah I looked at all the numbers, don't really know - just bought New Orleans - see how it compares - once my captin is skilled up again...

420 posts
20 battles

I sum all the damage from each AAA, that usually what i do to measure the ship overall AA strength, ignoring the range.

Although range do contribute to the AA rating (that card) and the actual gun at game.

You probably never see AA gun that have 0.9km range to shoot.

In case you're asking what are those numbers :

If stated 60 damage per second, it does mean any plane at a single squadron that flying above that particular gun loses 60 points of durability (you can see this on CV plane loadout detail).

In example a squadron consisted of 6 planes with 600 durability each, that flying above the gun will lose a plane each 10 seconds. At 100 seconds, the entire squadron is destroyed.

Edited by Zwelivelle

Super Tester
1,310 posts

actually

pepsi(T7) has worse AA than cheatland(T6)

what makes AA rating of pepsi got higher than NO or Beti is :

1. Basic Fire Training (Commander skill) raise AA + Artilery rating.

2. Advance Fire Training (Commander skill) raise AA + Artilery rating.

3. Mod upgrade that gives 20% AA range (500k credit price) raise AA rating

4. Mod Upgrade that gives 20% AA effectiveness (3mil credit?) raise AA rating (u will be able to buy this mod at tier 9 or 10 ship in IJN line, dunno about USN line)

for example. look at Montana(tier 10 USN BB) at tech tree

how much its AA rating? (80 ish? i am not in game, cant confirm it)

but she could reach 100 AA rating with all AA upgrade + commander skill : http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/11232-is-uss-montana-worth-getting/page__pid__156953#entry156953

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

AA rating is just a number. For an accurate look at how good a ship's AA is, you'll have to expand the AA tab and look at what AAA each ship mounts, their relative ranges, as well as how much damage they are capable of inflicting.

[151ST]
1,017 posts
4,530 battles

I quite enjoy tagging along behind a Battleship and providing AA, or doing the same for a Carrier.

I like countering enemy air full stop actually.

But at 66, the Pensacola seems to have the best AA of all the American cruisers.

Is there a tier multiplier of some kind?

The Pensa is tier VII - does it's 66 AA count better than a lower AA number on a higher tier cruiser?

I don't seem to have much luck shooting down higher tier aircraft.

Does American AA top out at Pensa?

What everyone else has said here is accurate - always ignore the number rating...

What you need to look at is hovering over the individual AA weapons and it'll give you a DPS.

DM has longer range and less DPS

Baltimore has less range but much better DPS

Baltimore is better AA

Another surprise is the Tier 10 KM, which actually has excellent AA DPS, I think it's only 2nd to Baltimore and only by a little bit.

Another good example is concealment. 99% sure the numbers are still the case but last time I looked:

Minekaze had a better number than Umikaze

Minekaze surface spot range is 6.2km, Umikaze is 5.6km --- Go figure

Conclusion: IGNORE the number rating, learn the actual numbers by going through each section and hover over each subsection.

27 posts
5,114 battles

I sum all the damage from each AAA, that usually what i do to measure the ship overall AA strength, ignoring the range.

Although range do contribute to the AA rating (that card) and the actual gun at game.

You probably never see AA gun that have 0.9km range to shoot.

In case you're asking what are those numbers :

If stated 60 damage per second, it does mean any plane at a single squadron that flying above that particular gun loses 60 points of durability (you can see this on CV plane loadout detail).

In example a squadron consisted of 6 planes with 600 durability each, that flying above the gun will lose a plane each 10 seconds. At 100 seconds, the entire squadron is destroyed.

Actually those damage are only average damage per second.. Meaning they can deal much more damage base on RNG.. Sometimes you can even shotdown a plane right after it enters your AA range.. and also the range of AA hugely increase the AA rating of the ship..

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

(Reserved)

Reposted on the NA Forums http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/55598-usn-fighters-vs-ijn-fighters-a-detailed-statistical-analysis/

Reposted on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3qa0zx/world_of_mathships_ijn_vs_usn_fighter_analysis/

Q&A from both:

• Does AA Mechanics on Ships work the same way?

Yes. Ship AA works the same way. Ships have 3 types of AA Aura's

​Long Range AA: 88mm, 127mm etc. etc.

Medium Range AA: 40mm Bofors, 55mm Gerat etc. etc.

Close Range AA: 12.7mm Brownings, 25mm AA, 20mm Oerlikons

These 3 AA Auras are Cumulative, so the 3 different DPS will combine to form the total DPS to be used in the formula

TOTAL DPS / SURVIVABILITY = (X)*100%/sec

Multiple ships do not accumulate, rather their own separate rolls are made.

• Can two planes (or more) be shot down at the same time?

Yes. Although the chances are very low and we did not include this in the original thread as the it would complicate things. But if you are interested, the chances for example of 2 Hosho Squads shooting down 2 Langley fighters at the same time are 0.147∩0.147 = 2%

Sign in to follow this