Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sparcie

Battleship suggestions

4 comments in this topic

459 posts
8,261 battles

I've had a rough time lately getting AP to perform well with my BBs, it could just be RNG as I still have the occasional epic game, but I am getting many overpens on cruisers that result in little damage. Now some cruisers you can citadel even when they're angled, so they aren't so much of a problem, but some of the cruiser when angled are near impossible to do much damage to, and not because they have good armour, quite the opposite it's easy to over-pen and do little damage. This means a cruiser who angles against a BB can outgun him with HE as he can just burn the BB down.

So perhaps there should be a mechanic where you get addition damage for each compartment the shell passes through cause as it stands you get a flat rate low damage no matter where or how much of the ship you over-pen. Obviously there should probably be a cap on the amount per shell so it doesn't give better damage than a penetration cause that would be silly. Maybe a logarithmic scale where each addition compartment adds less damage than the last.

I don't know if it's possible to over-pen a citadel (I didn't write the code) but if it were there should probably be addition damage for that too as you'd almost certainly destroy whatever large machinery was in the room. Again not as much as a normal citadel hit so it isn't just plain silly.

I dunno maybe I should just start firing HE at cruisers and forget about it, unless of course they present an easy broadside. It's still possible to do nice citadel damage then at least.

Something else I've thought about is low tier matches in BBs and how DD can often seem a bit OP at that level. I think this sorta stems from the poor performance of BB secondary guns at that level, DD's often don't pay much of a price for getting in really close and launching fish from point blank. Some of the BB's have better secondaries such as the IJN ones, and they have less of a problem.

I propose giving the secondaries a small buff in range only for the T3-T5 BBs (0.5-1km which would be 3.5-4km on most of the T3-T5 bbs) so that in open water the DDs have to contend with some more fire-power, but can still perform surprise attacks from behind concealment or outside visual range (like they're supposed to). As they are, secondaries are all but useless and they shouldn't be.

Of course this shouldn't apply to higher tier BB's (I haven't played any higher than 6) perhaps someone who has played them could weigh in, but looking at the ranges plus crew bonus and module upgrade I don't think they need it, some in fact may fire too far with their secondaries. But who am I to judge, I'm not up to those ships yet.

There is one ship in particular that needs attention, now I know not many people have it, but the Mikasa is in need of some love. Firstly the primary guns are so hideously inaccurate that you miss practically every shot even at close range. It faces T3 BBs which in addition to outgunning it can actually hit their target. But even facing cruisers it gets outgunned cause it has extreme difficulty hitting its target. I also think the secondaries could stand to have a similar buff to 3.5, 4 or up to 5km. The secondaries on Mikasa come in the form of 6 inch and smaller 3 inch guns, the 6 inchers would have been used to shoot at larger vessels including cruisers as they are basically the same style of guns as the St louis main battery.

As it stands now you have to close to suicide range to make use of the secondaries and the main guns are useless at any range. I understand it can't have realistic stats as it might pwn all the T2 ships, but it doesn't stand up very well in a fight at all, and it really should do better.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

The thing is, even with a range buff, it won't really make that much of a difference due to the lackluster accuracy of the secondaries.

I'm more inclined on the idea that players have suggested in the past, that secondaries become more accurate the longer the target stays within firing range, meaning if a DD were to do a point blank fish drop, they would have to do it fast before the secondaries could hone in. Though balancing this would be difficult as you don't want BBs to be even more of an AFK machine then they are now and to completely remove one of the ways a DD can successfully counter a BB.

On the topic of AP at lower tiers, don't be afraid to use HE on angled CLs at lower tiers since most of the time you'll be overpenning with AP anyway. 

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

@Mikasa

I'd say longer range secondaries wouldn't be bad, however her Primaries are alright.

As it is she's a okayish ship, certainly no Tetrarch, but also no Pzkpfw I.

459 posts
8,261 battles

I'd have agreed based on previous experience playing her, but after playing her again recently for project R I was annoyed at missing most shots at point blank and medium range where aiming is relatively easy. After the buff to BB dispersion it wasn't bad, not sure what's happened to it since, maybe I've just had a string of really bad RNG. After getting the AFT for the crew and the 5% increase flag the secondary range is about 3.8km which is a big improvement, but the slowness really limits your options for getting enemies into range. It wouldn't need a huge secondary buff to make them work better, but the main armament is terribly inaccurate, which really is un-necessarily so as the T3 BBs have more big guns and would still out-gun her even if she had the same accuracy.

I see what you mean with the range buff as compared to the accuracy, I wouldn't want to make close range combat in a destroyer impossible, so I feel a range buff (maybe with a very slight accuracy buff) may work out better. On open sea the DD would have further to travel through the secondaries to close the range, so they'd probably launch sooner or take a bigger risk, but could still ambush a BB from concealment. If the accuracy got buffed based on time spent in the secondary zone of fire it might make escape for the DD more difficult than it oughta be. That and later ships with long range secondaries would become a real problem for anyone entering the zone, which is quite large for some later BBs. I dunno how to address AFK ships, perhaps nerf their rewards if they don't move at all.

Funnily enough the over-pen problem doesn't seem to affect the T4 BB's I regularly play (cause I like them even tho I have T6 ones) It seems to be cruisers the New Mexico meets manage it the most, all it takes is a bit of angle (not all that much) and they all overpen. It's possible I've been experiencing a bit of bad RNG, but after about a few salvoes of only over-pens it's a bit frustrating. Ships with a bit of armour to, like the Aoba. It's also possible that it is an issue of where I'm hitting the ships, but I would expect (hope for) some penetrations occasionally if that were the case. Still it could be my aim not being good enough. I manage to hit them fine when a broad side is presented, but maybe shooting at angled vessels needs more work. I've not noticed this as much with the Fuso, but I've played it less than the New Mex recently.

I've noted using HE on very angled BBs can _sometimes_ work out better because of bounces, but you tend to get decent damage with AP even when you don't make citadels and the ship is angled less. I haven't done this often as I like to have AP loaded in case I spy a broadside requiring a paddlin, but perhaps I should switch to HE more often.

Sign in to follow this