Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jchen8792

Is USS Montana worth getting?

28 comments in this topic

423 posts
3,175 battles

The same as the topic. Got many ranting about how bad the Montana is compare to the Yamato and yet, facing Yamato all the time. So my point would be: keep the Iowa and fully upgrade it to the fullest potential, or get the Montana?

I am only getting to tier VI New Mexico now, so that might be a dumb question I'm asking. Thanks for any information, guys!

423 posts
3,175 battles

I did watch his video about battle rating 9.5 USS Montana...

But that would be unwise to just listen to a guy, since I can see some player like PhlyDaily got a massive chunk of citadel on Yamato using the Montana, that's why I felt a little bit awkward...

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I did watch his video about battle rating 9.5 USS Montana...

But that would be unwise to just listen to a guy, since I can see some player like PhlyDaily got a massive chunk of citadel on Yamato using the Montana, that's why I felt a little bit awkward...

Well for me i would love Montana if i able to close in for quarters (10-13km) because at that kind of range 16inch shells will be able to pent Yamato easily.

But most likely i found thats very hard to close in if the enemy BB know what im trying to do they will just sailing away and shoot me from a far, But the thing i really love Montana its thier AAA with all the upgrage and mod i able to get the 100 rating of AA, and thats massive i can wipe any Torpedo squad (except Midway) in matter of a minute.

All and all in my opinion Montana still inferior to Yamato in trem of gunnery so Yamato might be better Battleships in this case.

For me i decided to keep my North Carolina (Best tier 8 BB in my opinion) and Montana (Becasue is look awesome lol) i did like the Iowa but not as mush as Carolina.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

423 posts
3,175 battles

^ yay, finally someone understand the needs of having a realistic naval battle in War Thunder :D

420 posts
20 battles

I don't have Montana yet, but i think the best part about Montana vs Yamato is you can flee in a straight line away from the Yamato with 2x3 turrets firing backwards. And IMO Montana is a better ship to adapt situation against non Yamato enemies.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I don't have Montana yet, but i think the best part about Montana vs Yamato is you can flee in a straight line away from the Yamato with 2x3 turrets firing backwards. And IMO Montana is a better ship to adapt situation against non Yamato enemies.

While you doing so Yamato will citadel you from every angle, 460mm is real :D:D:D

But you correct about the point that Montana is a better ship to adapt situation against non-Yamato enemies, especially Cruiser, with 12guns on your ships no way it can go wrong lol

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I'm around 30k XP away from a montana.

Still deciding if I should sink 30mil into it for a fully upgraded one.

In my opinion its deepens  of what you expect about Montana

If you hope you will dominate every single Battleships in the game Montana prob not a good solution :D:D:D

For me i just love the AAA and how the ship look so i grind it :great:

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

The montana is fine in my opinion, sure you lack the pen and the range that the 18inch/160mm guns of the yamato has but in compensation you get 3 more guns, faster reload and turret traverse ( especially if you use Expert marksman) and slightly better AA (which helps to fend off those TB and DB's ) . So the Montana I will say is more flexible to the situation at hand. 

248 posts

both US and Japanese bb lines have "sweet spots"

i hate being in my Amagi facing a North Carolina.

it has the same range as me but is so much tougher.

The Yamato is definitely better than the montana, 

i sometimes play in the higher tiers on the weekends,

and you see the ships the pro players choose.

i hate being in the izumo cos it's not fully upgraded yet,

and until then it's a floating coffin because i get into maps like ICE

with 3 Yamatos. 

520 posts
11,127 battles

Combine a Tirpitz and Yamato.... you get  "Tomato" :p

But seriously...  im no battleship player, but i have recieved a -3 one shots from a Montana at 10kms in my tier9 fletcher.... very devastating if you ask me.  

Perhaps, as of now, it cant go toe to toe with a yamato.... but to other ships.... as ive seen, its just as deadly.  When the player base wjth a montana goes up... it may recieve a buff.

Edited by kultabashi

248 posts

Yamatos aren't as bad as they seem. they're very slow, can't turn, 

and are very expensive to repair. most of them are sailed in an "intimidation" style,

they'll occupy some space, and just watch over things. they quite often don't affect the play very much,

except to guard an area. when i first started playing i didn't realise this, and went after them.

but of course this pees them off no end

because of the expense and then they really came after me. which means you're basically dead soon.

it's always best to take one on after it's damaged, you need help from someone.

and attacking them from the rear is always better. they only have one turret on the back. 

this is why they love reversing so much, they will try and never let you get behind them.

i find myself doing the same in the izumo. it has a strange turret arrangment 

which is great fro tacking towards an opponent,

but terrible for tacking away from them.

you get the izumo after the Amagi, which is the opposite,

and you have to adjust quickly.

the amagi is built for running away. [30knot speed helps too]

Beta Tester
911 posts

I'll probably park it for now, no rush to really buy it.

Its an interesting ship to brawl with, but then I already have the yamato as well. Just different play styles between the 2 ships.

Spend the silver on a Udaloi first lol.

575 posts
5,354 battles

The same as the topic. Got many ranting about how bad the Montana is compare to the Yamato and yet, facing Yamato all the time. So my point would be: keep the Iowa and fully upgrade it to the fullest potential, or get the Montana?

I am only getting to tier VI New Mexico now, so that might be a dumb question I'm asking. Thanks for any information, guys!

You might want to look at the gun dispersion of the North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana before you invest your time and energy grinding for it. They are the worst among the battleships in this game. Whereas the IJN, British, and German battleship dispersion make their guns more accurate. The Montana has the worst dispersion of all the battleships at 297m. The North Carolina is 293m and the Iowa is 279 (or there about). However, if you look at the IJN's Amagi its dispersion is 203m. The Yamato's 18" guns are more accurate with a dispersion 20 meters less than the Montana. Sadly, you cannot modify the accuracy of these guns (tier 8 and higher) with the mod that makes them more accurate, only increase their range.

I find this extremely puzzling since the US battleships from the North Carolina and beyond were all equipped with advanced radar systems that made them the most accurate ships in the world at the time. Quite frankly, the devs did these ships a disservice in how these ships' accuracy in-game are far less than their Japanese, British, and German counter-parts. These ships are forced to close to mid-ranges to fight. The North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana are not brawlers like the New Mexico, they have weaker beltline armor and armor overall compared to the others. I guess historical facts have no place in this game when it comes to designing ships to participate in World of Warships.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

You might want to look at the gun dispersion of the North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana before you invest your time and energy grinding for it. They are the worst among the battleships in this game. Whereas the IJN, British, and German battleship dispersion make their guns more accurate. The Montana has the worst dispersion of all the battleships at 297m. The North Carolina is 293m and the Iowa is 279 (or there about). However, if you look at the IJN's Amagi its dispersion is 203m. The Yamato's 18" guns are more accurate with a dispersion 20 meters less than the Montana. Sadly, you cannot modify the accuracy of these guns (tier 8 and higher) with the mod that makes them more accurate, only increase their range.

I find this extremely puzzling since the US battleships from the North Carolina and beyond were all equipped with advanced radar systems that made them the most accurate ships in the world at the time. Quite frankly, the devs did these ships a disservice in how these ships' accuracy in-game are far less than their Japanese, British, and German counter-parts. These ships are forced to close to mid-ranges to fight. The North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana are not brawlers like the New Mexico, they have weaker beltline armor and armor overall compared to the others. I guess historical facts have no place in this game when it comes to designing ships to participate in World of Warships.

Well thats true USN BBs get the worst dispersion statically but trust me when you got there your self is not like what you think because they got 3 Guns turrets !!! (sound silly but yes lol)

You maybe surprise but from what i feel the 3 guns turrets give you better shells grouping, and is also give you the advantage in term of angling while IJN BBs have to turn the whole ship to get their guns in to the action you can just sit there and wait for the citadel (not as easy as that but in happens to be many times lol) 

But USN BBs will struggle with the Yamato because that ship armor is built to stand against 16inch shells while you armor cannot bounce any 18inch even with angling and when Yamato get the 3 guns turret with better dispersion is really a true nightmare for all USN BB captain (well it suppose to be right?)

All and all if they buff the USN dispersion i will love it but if they not USN BBs still good enough for me and trust me i did play all the USN BBs you referring to i even keep North Carolina because is just to good to stop playing it :D:D:D 

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

575 posts
5,354 battles

Well thats true USN BBs get the worst dispersion statically but trust me when you got there your self is not like what you think because they got 3 Guns turrets !!! (sound silly but yes lol)

You maybe surprise but from what i feel the 3 guns turrets give you better shells grouping, and is also give you the advantage in term of angling while IJN BBs have to turn the whole ship to get their guns in to the action you can just sit there and wait for the citadel (not as easy as that but in happens to be many times lol) 

But USN BBs will struggle with the Yamato because that ship armor is built to stand against 16inch shells while you armor cannot bounce any 18inch even with angling and when Yamato get the 3 guns turret with better dispersion is really a true nightmare for all USN BB captain (well it suppose to be right?)

All and all if they buff the USN dispersion i will love it but if they not USN BBs still good enough for me and trust me i did play all the USN BBs you referring to i even keep North Carolina because is just to good to stop playing it :D:D:D 

Right now I have more than enough free XP and XP on my North Carolina to unlock and fully upgrade the Iowa. However...I'm not sure I even want to after looking at how accurate the IJN battleships are. I think they really blew it on giving the US BBs such bad gun handling and accuracy when in fact they were not. I find it frustrating when for every shot I put into an Amagi or Tirpitz, I hit with 2 rounds and they hit me with 2 to three times the shells at anything greater than 18km. 293m dispersion is so bad it forces you to close range and engage just to increase your hit chances while the enemy's chance increase even more against you. I don't see any way this dispersion difference can be justified by TPTB. Comparing the Amagi, Tirpitz, and North Carolina, the latter has the worse accuracy of them all. :rolleyes:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Right now I have more than enough free XP and XP on my North Carolina to unlock and fully upgrade the Iowa. However...I'm not sure I even want to after looking at how accurate the IJN battleships are. I think they really blew it on giving the US BBs such bad gun handling and accuracy when in fact they were not. I find it frustrating when for every shot I put into an Amagi or Tirpitz, I hit with 2 rounds and they hit me with 2 to three times the shells at anything greater than 18km. 293m dispersion is so bad it forces you to close range and engage just to increase your hit chances while the enemy's chance increase even more against you. I don't see any way this dispersion difference can be justified by TPTB. Comparing the Amagi, Tirpitz, and North Carolina, the latter has the worse accuracy of them all. :rolleyes:

Well if you feel it that way is what you choice no way everyone will feel in the same way :D:D:D

Currently i have both Tirpitz and North Carolina in my port and i ended up plying North Carolina more than my Tirpitz (may be i dont like the fact that 15inch is smaller lol) anyways thats just my opinion if you dont feel the same as me thats no problems at all :great:

Anyways i still encourage you to try it by your self whenever you ready.

Sign in to follow this