You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
j0e90

Ocean Map rotation reduced and only in Battle tiers 10 up

87 comments in this topic

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,472 battles

This makes me ++ happy. From the 5.1.3 patch notes

• Ocean map is only available for battles of rank 10 and higher.
  • The likelihood of the Ocean map appearing has been halved

Wish this had been the case when I grinding through the Karlsruhe, that 11.7 km range shuddder in a tier 6 game

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I was glad to read that as well. Ocean is my least favourite map. It's like playing hide & seek on a frozen pond :sceptic:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

But it's the most balanced map in the game...:hiding:

But its Destroyer bias map (especially IJN) most of the time Battleships going to be sitting duck against spamming torpedoes + Aircraft.

I dont know why WG still keeping this map, why can't they just remove it? :D:D:D

520 posts
11,124 battles

But its Destroyer bias map (especially IJN) most of the time Battleships going to be sitting duck against spamming torpedoes + Aircraft.

I dont know why WG still keeping this map, why can't they just remove it? :D:D:D

Lol... i completely agree..... DD Map it is... Actually, I Enjoy being in that map with My Benson, which i just got  Captain Trait "Concealment Expert".  

Sending Gifts of "EXPLOSIVE FISH" when undetected Have never been so much fun :P

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

It does resemble Battle of Midway area :P

lol thats true :D:D:D

When there 2 carriers per side this map turning into air combat scenario which Battleships cannot even get to shoot another fleet.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,472 battles

Well I call Bulls**t on the patch. Just played a game in the Omaha, and it was on Ocean. Very Tier 7/6 match, Ocean is fine if you are top tier /  a battleship driver.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

i like ocean...... the game end quick..... they all sunk......

forgive my sarkasm .... hahahahaha

[SB]
116 posts
12,418 battles

Well I call Bulls**t on the patch. Just played a game in the Omaha, and it was on Ocean. Very Tier 7/6 match, Ocean is fine if you are top tier /  a battleship driver.

The 10 refers to your account level, not your ship tier.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

It's my favourite map. I see no problems to it. It's the players' problem. Not the map.

Lets say you have 4km torpedo range in Russian DD and how you going to use it without any cover in the open sea ? 

that is my fault to use the Russian DD then ? come on this map pose trouble for some ships and some class and who in those ships is not really happy to play this map :D:D:D

btw Maki my waifu   

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,472 battles

Ocean map is far from a well balanced map.

Its World of CVs or DDs, sheep herding with torps.

I read the opinions of the supertesters and now I undertand why this game gets strange changes and updates once in a while.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I read the opinions of the supertesters and now I undertand why this game gets strange changes and updates once in a while.

No offence but thats give me facepalm time to time  :D:D:D

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,755 battles

It's clearly the most well balanced map in the game.  It can't not be, it's a completely blank map - there is nothing there to be unbalanced.  If the game is unbalanced on Ocean, then it's the classes that are unbalanced, not the map.

Lets say you have 4km torpedo range in Russian DD and how you going to use it without any cover in the open sea ?

Most of the time you won't use them, but if you find the situation where you are head on with a BB without many other ships around, full speed towards them, they're unlikely to get more than one salvo off at you from getting in detection range to launching torps, and some random jinking will usually mean they don't hit you with much from that salvo.  Quick and easy kill, no islands required.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Most of the time you won't use them, but if you find the situation where you are head on with a BB without many other ships around, full speed towards them, they're unlikely to get more than one salvo off at you from getting in detection range to launching torps, and some random jinking will usually mean they don't hit you with much from that salvo.  Quick and easy kill, no islands required.

But it will be much easier with island don't you think? :D:D:D

What im trying to prove is not how bad the Russian DDs are but im trying to prove that this map is really hurting gameplay of some ships, and is giving advantage to some ships in the same way.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

The thing about Ocean is that it really favours low detectability and gunnery skills. For cruisers and battleships, there's no place to hide and no way to break contact easily. For destroyers, it's long, clear firing lanes for torpedoes provided that they manage their detectability well. Cruisers tend to suffer a lot - the lack of terrain means you're generally always going to show your broadside to something. Battleships have to be really good with their gunnery on this map, because they'll be taking a lot of fire from the moment contact is made, and the only way to stop that is to kill enemies before they get killed. RU and IJN DDs that can stealthfire guns and torpedoes respectively can do well in this map, but MUST manage their detection better since there are no islands to break LOS. USN DDs tend to suffer a bit here - their high shell arcs and relatively short torpedo ranges means they can't do as well as compared to a knife fight. Carriers - a bit hit or miss, since there are no landmasses to hide behind or to constrict enemy ship movement, but on the other hand, lots of time to set up torpedo runs.

Generally, some people don't like Ocean because there's simply no place to get your head down and take a breather. It's a map where you'll be constantly in contact with the enemy and that can be very draining. The other problem with it is that some teams would tend to group up, stick near the edges and essentially never encounter each other as they orbit the map near the borders, because that's the only place where you can avoid fire from at least some directions. This had also led to a lot of blue-lining from players, which dev tracking has shown to occur a lot more on Ocean than other maps, contributing to general player dislike of the map.

tl;dr Ocean is the most mentally demanding map and requires good gunnery skills, excellent awareness and conscious teamplay. Lack any, and you're gonna suffer.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

The thing about Ocean is that it really favours low detectability and gunnery skills. For cruisers and battleships, there's no place to hide and no way to break contact easily. For destroyers, it's long, clear firing lanes for torpedoes provided that they manage their detectability well. Cruisers tend to suffer a lot - the lack of terrain means you're generally always going to show your broadside to something. Battleships have to be really good with their gunnery on this map, because they'll be taking a lot of fire from the moment contact is made, and the only way to stop that is to kill enemies before they get killed. RU and IJN DDs that can stealthfire guns and torpedoes respectively can do well in this map, but MUST manage their detection better since there are no islands to break LOS. USN DDs tend to suffer a bit here - their high shell arcs and relatively short torpedo ranges means they can't do as well as compared to a knife fight. Carriers - a bit hit or miss, since there are no landmasses to hide behind or to constrict enemy ship movement, but on the other hand, lots of time to set up torpedo runs.

Generally, some people don't like Ocean because there's simply no place to get your head down and take a breather. It's a map where you'll be constantly in contact with the enemy and that can be very draining. The other problem with it is that some teams would tend to group up, stick near the edges and essentially never encounter each other as they orbit the map near the borders, because that's the only place where you can avoid fire from at least some directions. This had also led to a lot of blue-lining from players, which dev tracking has shown to occur a lot more on Ocean than other maps, contributing to general player dislike of the map.

Get your point, basically that how to play this map (actually that's how to play this game lol) 

But you also agree that "Ocean flavors low detectability" is that make sense for such a map to exist ? i mean good map have to combine which various location for each ship to excel their capability.

Open sea for BB to have room to maneuver, some cover for cruise, narrow space for DD and close quarters (such as Des Moines thats everyone saying is really good in close combat but with the ocean its a dead meat lol)  

How about Ocean is there any locations you can use to gain some tactical advantage ? 

"Battleships have to be really good with their gunnery" and how about someone that not good at long range engagement and prefer close quarters? (espacially American low tiers BB that got out range and slow as 20knot) we can just let them die and blaming their fault of using low tiers USN BB ?

"Cruisers tend to suffer a lot" are they suppose to suffer while playing game ? omg so what the point of playing game then :D:D:D (none of the ships have to suffer because of map that they got random into, there should be a way for them to play every ships and every class in the single map thats is the good map for me) 

"USN DDs tend to suffer" again they have to suffer for playing USN DD, so can we just remove the map to end their suffering ? :D:D:D 

Ocean is the most mentally demanding map

Show me the stats :D:D:D (because im not one of them)

Edited by MeloMelonSoda