You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
greevil

Loosing money playing high tier ships

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
8 posts
2,197 battles

Playing the tier 9 izumo is something i need to save up for.
many games you won't get much done with yamato's chewing through your insignificant side armor from medium to close range and open deck from far range having 3km range advantage.

and that's not mentioning the highest tier aircraft carriers being able to take at least 85% of a battleships hp away with 2 torpedo squads.
Even if you do manage to trade some good damage, i often find myself spending more money on ammo and repairs than what is awarded to me, often having to play other lower tier ships to pay off the repairs.

Being lucky to get 1000 xp per game and 9 out of 10 games, loosing money. I was wondering why they game is set up this way to turn people off playing tier 9-10 ships.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Bunch of reasons.

1. So people will pay for a premium account, premium vehicles or additional port slots - that usually always gathers positive credits. WG is a business after all, and running a free game still has costs.

2. So people will actually play well, and not troll around with tier 10 vehicles. Getting killed in a high tier vehicle is deliberately set to have high repair and maintenance costs so people won't be tempted to screw around in vehicles highly capable of affecting match outcomes.

3. So people will play the lower tiers, where it is always profitable. This prevents the player population to being skewed towards the higher tiers. For those who are unwilling to spend money, tiers 4-6 ships will always make a significant profit when played well. As a result, newer players will always have players to play with in the lower and mid-tiers.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,842 posts
4,140 battles

Losing money at tier nine/ten is incentive to drop tiers or improve. It also seems the general consensus is the game play is nothing to write home about anyway hence the mid tiers will always be the WOWS sweet spot.

580 posts
1,587 battles

When a game says that it is F2P... Don't believe that statement... There's always money to be made somewhere and this is one of WoWS pinch points...

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

When a game says that it is F2P... Don't believe that statement... There's always money to be made somewhere and this is one of WoWS pinch points...

It is free-to-play. You can get to a Tier 10 without actually requiring premium. Atagou, Murmansk, Gremy? All not necessary.

The premium account is there to make grinding things a little easier. It's still very much F2P and if anything, definitely not P2W.

520 posts
11,127 battles

So people will actually play well, and not troll around with tier 10 vehicles. Getting killed in a high tier vehicle is deliberately set to have high repair and maintenance costs so people won't be tempted to screw around in vehicles highly capable of affecting match outcomes.

I completely agree with this.  This makes Tier 8 - 10 Matches more "Competetive" and serious in the way of using REAL SKILLS.

Personally, When i DONT have a premium account, I Play 5 Matches at tier 5 - 6 before playing High Tier.  This means i will have Enough Credits to sustain my Tier 8 - 10 match.

Also.... Play hightier for the SHIPS and TACTICAL Gameplay, never for profit.

580 posts
1,587 battles

It is free-to-play. You can get to a Tier 10 without actually requiring premium. Atagou, Murmansk, Gremy? All not necessary.

The premium account is there to make grinding things a little easier. It's still very much F2P and if anything, definitely not P2W.

I didn't mean that it is P2W, this game is a far cry from that crap... but I agree it's almost F2P (and enjoyable if you play your cards right) until you start losing creds on the upper tier ships repairs, needing more port slots, converting XP, etc... I never considered going through to get those but after a month of play and enjoying a game I'm already sucked in too much that I'll be needing more of what I am having already a grand time with (Not complaining here, WoWS is that one game I've been looking for)...

and look at me, already asking around banks for CC requirements... :teethhappy: but still considering what purchases to make and how to doubloons properly... prem? I dunno I usually play full out by the weekends so a 3 day prem maybe? and those are cheap as dirt...

In the World of Sales we call this "Taking Advantage of the Consistency Bias"... It's pretty evident with the MMO's I've seen.. I'm not saying it's bad business practice in fact it's pretty darn effective... The weakness however is when the customer knows how to say NO or blindsides you by "meeting halfway"... That's why I stuck with Tier 5s and 6s...

Edited by Kreigg

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

If you want to fuel your grind upwards, you play mid tiers. It's still free-to-play.

11 posts
6,325 battles

Bunch of reasons.

1. So people will pay for a premium account, premium vehicles or additional port slots - that usually always gathers positive credits. WG is a business after all, and running a free game still has costs.

2. So people will actually play well, and not troll around with tier 10 vehicles. Getting killed in a high tier vehicle is deliberately set to have high repair and maintenance costs so people won't be tempted to screw around in vehicles highly capable of affecting match outcomes.

3. So people will play the lower tiers, where it is always profitable. This prevents the player population to being skewed towards the higher tiers. For those who are unwilling to spend money, tiers 4-6 ships will always make a significant profit when played well. As a result, newer players will always have players to play with in the lower and mid-tiers.

Just another point of view here. I love playing DD's. I am not keen on progressing past T9 for one simple reason. Too many times I've had other players try to press me to Cap, then go and hide behind an Island for their own safety. End result, DD gets smashed no matter how hard you try to play it safe. It also doesn't help being in a DD, when 2 CV's are are on each side.