Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Alternate_Rouge

Furutaka - The Good, the Bad and the Worst

41 comments in this topic

61 posts
1,022 battles

If I were to describe Furutaka. Lets just say it is a battleship in a cruiser's body... I kid you not. This bad girl has the fire power to 1 shot cruisers and send destroyers to the oblivion.

The Good

-203mm guns. The Very first cruiser to have this big gun among all cruisers. Anything you face short of battleships will not be able to resist the shells from penetrating. You are going citadel the heavens out of any cruisers that you come across.

-Torpedo. This girl posses triple mount torpedos with the range of 10km on both port and starboard. Albeit slowly than that of Minekaze.

-Acceptable Torpedo defense. Not only she is quite quick on her feet. She can resist those torpedo's too if they dont detonate the ammo racks which doesn't happen frequently.

-Acceptable concealment. Long before they see you, the cannons are already aimed.

The Bad

-Long Reload. Given that she has 203mm guns, you will be agonizing with the long reload times so make your shot count. I recommend a long volley shot rather than salvo on max range fights.

-Short-Mid range effectiveness. Another downside of the 203mm. It is devastatingly effective at 11km and the dispersion will kill you at 13km. Long volley shots are again recommended.

-Lightly armored. Cruisers have acceptable armor but you won't be able to exploit that full since the range of your 203mm will not allow you to. Angle your armor is a must.

The Worst

-Turret Traverse. This ship has a turret traverse much more worse than that of some battleships. Which means that you wont be able to knife fight and your only defense at close range would almost likely be your torpedo's,

-Large superstructure. Expect to catch fire everytime you are fired upon since your super structure is as large as it is tall.

Conclusion

Play Furutaka as a strike cruiser get in do some damage, get out before they can turn their guns on you. Primary targets should be cruisers as you can finish them off in one volley just like a battleship.

61 posts
1,022 battles

Did you upgraded the guns?Furutaka's upgraded gun have 14s reload and turns faster than stock.

still alot slower though but nonetheless very effective if i say so myself... its almost like driving a battleship...

battleship tactics should be applied to her

1,230 posts
2,367 battles

still alot slower though but nonetheless very effective if i say so myself... its almost like driving a battleship...

battleship tactics should be applied to her

nope, high tier CA's reload, say Atago is 15 sec, any other 8 inches got reload around that, the exception being the Dead Moan  Des Moines.

No battleship techniques should be applied, she is still better by being support role, because her weak citadels. She didn't have terrible BB ruddershift too

222 posts
3,269 battles

AVOID GERMAN CRUISERS. This thing can't defend itself from german cruisers at all. Not with only 3 tubes and bad turret traverse coupled with dispersion and slow reload. 

Tbh i think this ship is not something that people would want to experience. Just like Karlsruhe, one would benefit a lot more from using free xp to skip this ship and head straight to Aoba

1,230 posts
2,367 battles

AVOID GERMAN CRUISERS. This thing can't defend itself from german cruisers at all. Not with only 3 tubes and bad turret traverse coupled with dispersion and slow reload. 

Tbh i think this ship is not something that people would want to experience. Just like Karlsruhe, one would benefit a lot more from using free xp to skip this ship and head straight to Aoba

nope, when you are used to it you'll enjoy it

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Furutaka eats other cruisers for breakfast, especially german ones. She can't take the heat, though, so if you're being shot at, exfiltrate and break contact immediately.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

Yeah she is still pretty horrible...

Mostly because you'll be up against monsters like Cleveland and Myoko in many games.

Can deal damage, can't take any - so stay with the fleet, wait for BBs/other ships to take the heat and unleash hell...

Haven't played her with the Captain skill that grants a range increase - this may fix her issues...

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Yeah she is still pretty horrible...

Mostly because you'll be up against monsters like Cleveland and Myoko in many games.

Can deal damage, can't take any - so stay with the fleet, wait for BBs/other ships to take the heat and unleash hell...

Haven't played her with the Captain skill that grants a range increase - this may fix her issues...

The range increase doesn't do much for Furutaka because she's armed with 20.3cms. Those guns are deadly against cruisers (when firing AP), are capable of citadelling battleships with AP, as well as a high fire chance when firing HE. While Furutaka has a poorer turret layout, the traversion is manageable once the ship is upgraded. If she isn't shut down hard by an opposing battleship, she can do quite a serious bit of damage.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

The range increase doesn't do much for Furutaka because she's armed with 20.3cms. Those guns are deadly against cruisers (when firing AP), are capable of citadelling battleships with AP, as well as a high fire chance when firing HE. While Furutaka has a poorer turret layout, the traversion is manageable once the ship is upgraded. If she isn't shut down hard by an opposing battleship, she can do quite a serious bit of damage.

Cheers,

Yeah was thinking about my issues with the Mogami v Myoko, which I mostly put down to range (although could be cita size as well)

The big thing I remember from Furu (haven't played her in ages for obvious reasons) is turrets being destroyed... Most games I'd be down to 4 turrets if I managed to survive...

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

Hated the Furutaka. It couldn't take the heat and was just terrible in fights. Granted it may have also been my captaining but once I got my Aoba I never looked back and sold that thing for scrap.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Furutaka is a nice ship if played properly, you can check out my guide to the Furutaka that I made some time ago if you want

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Furutaka eats other cruisers for breakfast, especially german ones. She can't take the heat, though, so if you're being shot at, exfiltrate and break contact immediately.

Russian Destroyer eat Furutaka for dinner :p

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Had a love hate relationship with her.

She gives other CA/CL a bloody nose yet at the same time, she's delicate and fragile.

If you want to go hero and solo, there's a very narrow band for her.

I must say. FTK has better reliability in hitting her targets than Omaha. Omaha may have the ROF but her slow high arc shells is blegh compared to FTK's

420 posts
20 battles

When Furutaka entered WW2, she was fitted with twin turrets and more torpedo tubes than we have in WoWs. That`s the only complain i have for that ship.

I used to use HE everytime with Furutaka, hit and run, watch the enemy burning, than scat from 12-13km range, cease the fire and let it concealed. If the enemy moving towards me, ill launch an extra torpedo from that range too. Well, this can be done with all Japanese CAs, but since we have this kind of turret placement, i found that this is the most effective way using Furutaka. I also using spot warning captain skill to support this kind of play style.

Her AA is almost none, if she could shot any plane, it must be because of her scout plane.

Her HE is super powerful, Japanese ships (any kind) are good at HE. It is like 1k hit per round to that tier BB or CA. You can even citadel Tenryu with her HE.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

When Furutaka entered WW2, she was fitted with twin turrets and more torpedo tubes than we have in WoWs. That`s the only complain i have for that ship.

I used to use HE everytime with Furutaka, hit and run, watch the enemy burning, than scat from 12-13km range, cease the fire and let it concealed. If the enemy moving towards me, ill launch an extra torpedo from that range too. Well, this can be done with all Japanese CAs, but since we have this kind of turret placement, i found that this is the most effective way using Furutaka. I also using spot warning captain skill to support this kind of play style.

Her AA is almost none, if she could shot any plane, it must be because of her scout plane.

Her HE is super powerful, Japanese ships (any kind) are good at HE. It is like 1k hit per round to that tier BB or CA. You can even citadel Tenryu with her HE.

tier 6 Aoba

420 posts
20 battles

No, google it at wikipedia. When entering WW2, Furutaka used twin turrets, similar to Aoba.

I have Aoba, quite like it, just worse torpedo handling. But that's different ship.

Edited by Zwelivelle

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

No, google it at wikipedia. When entering WW2, Furutaka used twin turrets, similar to Aoba.

I have Aoba, quite like it, just worse torpedo handling. But that's different ship.

I realise that, but due to the similarities between the Aoba and Furutaka at final config they kept the earlier config of the Furutaka.

This has been covered a couple of times.

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

AP is the way to go in the Furutaka. Flank and you can take out cruisers very quickly. Slow reload makes it difficult to deal with destroyers and watch for BB volleys when you are in this ship.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

The Nagara class are similar to the Kuma class that is already in the game, the furutaka is already fine for its tier and as a ship  In game

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

If I were to describe Furutaka. Lets just say it is a battleship in a cruiser's body... I kid you not. This bad girl has the fire power to 1 shot cruisers and send destroyers to the oblivion.

The Good

-203mm guns. The Very first cruiser to have this big gun among all cruisers. Anything you face short of battleships will not be able to resist the shells from penetrating. You are going citadel the heavens out of any cruisers that you come across.

-Torpedo. This girl posses triple mount torpedos with the range of 10km on both port and starboard. Albeit slowly than that of Minekaze.

-Acceptable Torpedo defense. Not only she is quite quick on her feet. She can resist those torpedo's too if they dont detonate the ammo racks which doesn't happen frequently.

-Acceptable concealment. Long before they see you, the cannons are already aimed.

The Bad

-Long Reload. Given that she has 203mm guns, you will be agonizing with the long reload times so make your shot count. I recommend a long volley shot rather than salvo on max range fights.

-Short-Mid range effectiveness. Another downside of the 203mm. It is devastatingly effective at 11km and the dispersion will kill you at 13km. Long volley shots are again recommended.

-Lightly armored. Cruisers have acceptable armor but you won't be able to exploit that full since the range of your 203mm will not allow you to. Angle your armor is a must.

The Worst

-Turret Traverse. This ship has a turret traverse much more worse than that of some battleships. Which means that you wont be able to knife fight and your only defense at close range would almost likely be your torpedo's,

-Large superstructure. Expect to catch fire everytime you are fired upon since your super structure is as large as it is tall.

Conclusion

Play Furutaka as a strike cruiser get in do some damage, get out before they can turn their guns on you. Primary targets should be cruisers as you can finish them off in one volley just like a battleship.

Furutaka is better now, back to the old days, she is even more worse.
Edited by R3negade

Sign in to follow this