You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
spcogg

About the Colorado Buff

31 comments in this topic

16 posts
2,606 battles

Just got my Colorado, was dreading it because I was reading all over the internet that this is the biggest PoS out of all BBs/USN ships. Even free exp'ed to the B hull to lessen the pain. However, in my first game ever in the Colorado I felt it plays just like a buffed New Mex. Managed to single handedly hold off 2 Nagatos and 2 Clevelands, hit 4 citadels, 120k damage, sank 2 ships and won the game. Previously I have also noticed that I was being citadelled a lot by Colorado, and that they take forever to sink.

This leads me to conclude that the Colorado must have been buffed, does anyone have details on what exactly has changed/what made the Colorado so bad to begin with?

248 posts

it'e very slow. and hasn't got as much range,

but by god it's tough. and it's very short. i find it hard to pick it's direction long range.

with long hulls like the japanese hulls i can see their direction very easy.

don't worry my nagato and my amagi have been sunk by [content removed] lots of times.

they take so long to kill that i sing the "Eagles" song "desperado"

while i wear it down

[content removed] why don't you come to your senses.

you been out riding fences, for so long now,

Oh, you're a hard one
I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow

i usually get into verse 3 before i kill the bugger if i manage to

Inappropriate.  Post Edited. User Sanctioned

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking

16 posts
2,606 battles

@MeloMelonSoda I have seen those vids before, which is what made me think the Colorado was going to be horrible. Much to my surprise I already find it more fun to play than the new mex (which was already a beast) 3 games in.

The guns are much easier to shoot/aim with even though you have less barrels, and you have more range compared to the pathetic 13-15km on the New Mex, better penetration/more damage. Sure it's slow but that's the same as all the BBs before.

Basically it feels like a better version of the new mex so I don't get why there was all the hate for it. I haven't played it pre-buff, so wondering what was so bad about the colorado before the buff

406 posts
6,287 battles

I TBH felt the first 2 Colorado hulls were a let down after the New Mexico - however, the C hull is okay - the main points with the Colorado is the Speed, Dispersion and HP

Its the same Speed as the New Mexico, Has less HP than the New Mexico, and Less Guns (which means Dispersion hurts more) - then combine this with seeing North Carolinas (Fast, More guns), Iowas (really Fast, More Guns, More range) Amagi (see the others) and Izumo - this is where the Colorado really suffers, a Colorado in a Tier 6/7 Match is good, slightly better than a New Mexico, a Colorado in a Tier 8 match is Meh, about as Meh as the New Mexico - for a Ship that is a whole tier up from the New Mexico - it doesn't feel like it has much going for it, then when all the other ships it faces in the game are either equal or vastly superior - you can see why the Colorado gets a bad rep.

Me personally, I would buff the accuracy and the Fire rate - afterall the Colorado fired the most shells during WW2 - so I think it should be reflected.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

@MeloMelonSoda I have seen those vids before, which is what made me think the Colorado was going to be horrible. Much to my surprise I already find it more fun to play than the new mex (which was already a beast) 3 games in.

The guns are much easier to shoot/aim with even though you have less barrels, and you have more range compared to the pathetic 13-15km on the New Mex, better penetration/more damage. Sure it's slow but that's the same as all the BBs before.

Basically it feels like a better version of the new mex so I don't get why there was all the hate for it. I haven't played it pre-buff, so wondering what was so bad about the colorado before the buff

Well it really good for you to do some research and know how to deal with each ships thats why you not suffer.

But lets say everyone is not like that, they keep playing and always hopping that the next ship going to be superior than the older in every aspect which in this case is not.

their situation will be even worst than you with the stock ship and all expectation got destroy, thats why they start blaming the ships :D:D:D  

But to be honest even i also feel it a better version of the New Mexico but is not by far, when it got match up with tier 8 or 9 i know i going to have a bad day the ships is just too slow to complete with the high tier game AAA is not enough to save it self from tier 8-9 CV attack and it got out range by every ships even Cruiser.

so thats why peoples hate it i guess lol

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

280 posts
3,514 battles

yey! teh colorado is getting better than the previous. this cheers me up really! she might not have more cannons than new mexicano but even better slow but deadly:Bswagger cool ship tho

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

They should replace the Colorado with the South Dakota class battleships. I believe they would fit perfectly at Tier 7.

If you're talking about the actual South Dakota class that went into service, that wouldn't make sense as they came after the North Carolina class, but if you're talking about the planned 1920's version, that also wouldn't make sense - sure they were going to be slow dreadnoughts, but they would have been ridiculously OP in terms of firepower for tier 7, 12 x 16" guns is something the Montana at tier 10 has - at that tier Nagato and Colorado are on par with 8

The Colorado in game is fine, especially when compared to the old Colorado in Closed Beta when it had a 34 sec reload and terrible accurracy

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

If you're talking about the actual South Dakota class that went into service, that wouldn't make sense as they came after the North Carolina class, but if you're talking about the planned 1920's version, that also wouldn't make sense - sure they were going to be slow dreadnoughts, but they would have been ridiculously OP in terms of firepower for tier 7, 12 x 16" guns is something the Montana at tier 10 has - at that tier Nagato and Colorado are on par with 8

The Colorado in game is fine, especially when compared to the old Colorado in Closed Beta when it had a 34 sec reload and terrible accurracy

But if we have 1920's South Dakota it will be much easier to liberate other nation :(

575 posts
5,354 battles

I'm talking about the BBs following the North Carolina class. They are a smaller version of the North Carolina. Though it came after, they were integral to the USN combat operations during WW2. The most prestigious of the class was the Alabama who had the most battle stars (9 IIRC). This ship would be a good transition between the New Mexico and the North Carolina leading up to the Iowa and beyond. The Colorado, to me, doesn't seem to fit well in the line. Compared to the Nagato, the Colorado seems under powered, really bad accuracy, lacks maneuverability and speed. The South Dakota's would be a good match up against the Nagato and other tier 7 BBs slated to come. That's just my opinion after playing through to the North Carolina and currently at the Nagato. The only thing going for the Colorado is its ability to handle damage as it is a brawler. However, being a brawler doesn't mean much if all you can be is a punching bag soaking up damage and cannot defend yourself unless you're almost in knife fighting range for your guns to do any good. I prefer using my New Mexico over the Colorado because it is a better ship overall, again, in my opinion.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I'm talking about the BBs following the North Carolina class. They are a smaller version of the North Carolina. Though it came after, they were integral to the USN combat operations during WW2. The most prestigious of the class was the Alabama who had the most battle stars (9 IIRC). This ship would be a good transition between the New Mexico and the North Carolina leading up to the Iowa and beyond. The Colorado, to me, doesn't seem to fit well in the line. Compared to the Nagato, the Colorado seems under powered, really bad accuracy, lacks maneuverability and speed. The South Dakota's would be a good match up against the Nagato and other tier 7 BBs slated to come. That's just my opinion after playing through to the North Carolina and currently at the Nagato. The only thing going for the Colorado is its ability to handle damage as it is a brawler. However, being a brawler doesn't mean much if all you can be is a punching bag soaking up damage and cannot defend yourself unless you're almost in knife fighting range for your guns to do any good. I prefer using my New Mexico over the Colorado because it is a better ship overall, again, in my opinion.

Every tech tree line has to have a grind point though, for example the IJN they have Kawachi and its horrible matchmaking, and the Myogi with only 6 guns, for USN it would be the South Carolina and Colorado.

16 posts
2,606 battles

It's true that the Colorado doesn't have much going for it vs. Higher tier, but I think the same argument applies to most ships. I've played some T7/8/9 games and you can do lots of damage to T8/9 bbs by charging them whilst angling, then once you're in range your guns do just as much damage as theirs. Most BB's ive seen don't bother running to stay out of range. T8+ Cruisers do hurt a lot though, but if you can get in range then they die from citadels just as fast as any lower tier CA/CL.

Thinking about the Colorado after a few more games (now mine is fully upgraded), compared to the Nagato, the points about speed/HP/Range is largely overstated, because the Colorado is small, turns better and so dodge torpedos better. and also dodge shells from any BB firing at 20Km because of the ungodly shell hangtime, unless you're totally not paying attention. Also you have way thicker armour compared to the IJN bbs which are made of citadels, so the HP difference doesn't really matter as long as you're angling and bouncing shells/hitting citadels in return, though I suppose Cruisers will still kill you with HE spam if you're caught without support. The increased armour/lower range actually makes you more useful to the team because you're forced to get up close to tank shells for your team, instead of sitting back and flinging shells at max range.

@Blitzkreig95 thanks for clearing up the reload time buff, the 4 second faster reload to the 30 second reload time now actually does make a massive difference. I feel the Colorado guns fire a lot faster than the New Mex 34 sec/salvo reloads lol. They are definitely a lot more accurate, more than the stats say in port, which helps a lot.

TL;DR, i'm having fun in the colorado, I get 80k+ attack every 2nd game or so. Guess this is the mentality I have after grinding through T3-6 USB BBs lol

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,024 battles

Coloardo in stats view is almost a whole tier less effective than a nagato, I'm with Ni_Tehn_Do on this, The South Dakota make more sense, triple mounted guns in 3 turrets, are needed for that woeful dispersion of 4 turret twin guns.

However I do believe that the South Dakota will be introduced later on when wargaming split the tiers into fast battleships and heavy pocket battleships/ flagships.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Coloardo in stats view is almost a whole tier less effective than a nagato, I'm with Ni_Tehn_Do on this, The South Dakota make more sense, triple mounted guns in 3 turrets, are needed for that woeful dispersion of 4 turret twin guns.

However I do believe that the South Dakota will be introduced later on when wargaming split the tiers into fast battleships and heavy pocket battleships/ flagships.

After thinking about it some more, I'm inclined to say that they could remove the Montana, put the Iowa at tier 10 (since she was a contemporary of the Yamato and the Montana was a paper tiger design). Then move the North Carolina up to tier 9 and put the South Dakota as a tier 8. Obviously they'll have to buff the Iowa and North Carolina to fit the tiers, but I think that would be a good option. Again, in my opinion. Heck they could even make the Montana a tier 10 premium battleship if they wanted too.

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,024 battles

Or make the Montana slower, more health, and relocate to the Heavy Battleship line, and the Iowa buff to the Fast Battleship line.

75 posts
4,778 battles

You know what'd be nice? If Colorado's top hull was modernized West Virginia. hopefully slightly better armor, probably a larger HP pool, and the best part: Radar-Guided (read: accurate) guns. I mean, Wyoming's top hull is actually that of Arkansas, so why not use another of Colorado's sister ship for her top hull too?

Super Tester
802 posts

You know what'd be nice?

Not necro'ing old threads?

Also, I think you'll find that the upgraded hulls generally represent the improvements to the class of ship through all types.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

There are times where Colorado is good and times where it is bad. My best game in it was actually A hull, 174k damage. RNG loved me that match and the team forced the enemy to show me a broadside most of the time. But if RNG hates you then you won't even be able to land shots on a CV

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

current colorado is not bad at all.

new mexico or lower tier BB's hardly damage angled colorado. while you shell hits hard.

her shell has nice thigh dispersion too (most of the time)

there's hardly any CV unlike before so her stock hull aren't that bad. as long as you stay at the back of cruiser and supporting them and not alone.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

I hear people saying Colorado has been buffed or something. I did not find this to be true in the 40 games or so I played in Colorado. Had two games where I got Kraken, and never really got a very high damaging game mostly because didn't find enemy showing me broadside (or not being able to hit due to dispersion). So I made this video showing my shooting skill vs screwed up by bad dispersion. Were all of my shots really bad? Did I choose wrong targets all the time? I don't think so.

Colorado is really good at up close and personal, though getting there is hardly possible due to speed and the love for fire. Everything will light up this ship.

Edit:

About bow on, that's really gimmicky, I also show in this video how Colorado takes shit ton of damage through bow from Pensacola. And about CV, no CV in right mind will target Colorado first. She has really good AA. At range, people will hit at your rear and do huge amount of damage too. Specially 410mm shells that are common at her tier.

Also, she has very low HP for her tier, but her heals are godlike.

Edited by icy_phoenix