You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kultabashi

Ranked Battles: Battle Tactics and Methods

25 comments in this topic

520 posts
11,127 battles

Hello Captains,  Since the start of Season 2, ive personally noticed more challenging game play and much better player base during ranked battles.

But due to the fact that Many possibilities that result in victory in battle,  communication is very much essential, as this can mean the difference between winning and loosing.  Many seem to NOT communicate because of the language barrier, and many more, have the inability to Adjust to the situation to the demise of their team.    Here are a few tips that can help achieve victory.

"Any one can Cap"

- RB revolves on reaching 1000 points to win.  Capping and Defending Cap, gives our team more points as time goes by.  Perhaps DDs have the capability to cap fast,   this also leaves them to be countered by Fast firing CAs.  The moment This happens, other classes SHOULD fill the void as given the situation... Anyone Can CAP, but again.. this will depend on the tactical situation at hand.

Another Tip.  Occupying or Contesting an Enemy Cap, can void the enemy of points, as long it is being contested.  Doing Everything possible to keep ahead of the game, should be a priority.

"Be prepared to Adjust/Change Roles at a moments notice"
-  At any given time, your team situation can change.  From winning or Loosing in an instant.  Be prepared to adjust and change roles.  Defend if you have to, or even Disengage from Shooting YOUR Target... in order to help a teammate who is about to be killed.  Friendly Losses HURT much more then in Random battles.  BBS and Ships with full health should be prepared to Expose themselves to enemy fire when needed, as long as this is to the advantage of the team.  To Die, for your teams gain is Ok, Ranked is all about the TEAM WIN.

"Work together to Concentrate Fire on a Single enemy ship, if the Situation arises. No Such thing as KILL Stealing"
-  When sailing together or in a small group.  concentrate fire as this maximizes your teams ability to DESTROY the enemy as fast as possible.  To worry or react to KILL STEALING should not be an issue, as this is a TEAM GAME.  The teams ability to win, is more important then individual gain.

"Communication is a Must"
-  i firmly believe that we should all try to communicate our intentions in game all to contribute to victory of course..  Pointing a finger at, Blaming one another and Bickering should be avoided as this is detrimental to the teams efforts. If one is giving advice, accept and reject it politely.  If you are Dead, and you want to help out, do so in a professional manner.  If you're team is loosing, give constructive tactical advice, as this may change your teams situational position from loosing to winning.

If you have any more tips... feel free do add to this post.  

Happy Hunting Captains.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I always ask for BB's to focus on enemy CA first.

"Why?"  is the most common response.

Here's a few reasons:

1.  Soft targets that are relatively easily killed for points.

2.  Removing guns from the game, less guns available, the less chance of your team losing a member.

3.  Supports your primary cappers (DDs) by removing their natural predators.

4.  Reduce your risk of fire.  Enemy CAs dead = lower rate of fire coming back at you = less fires set on your BBs.

5.  If you have a CV you have just helped them do their job of removing enemy capital ships.  No enemy CA's = lower AA cover that your CV has to deal with.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Here's a few reasons:

2.  Removing guns from the game, less guns available, the less chance of your team losing a member.

4.  Reduce your risk of fire.  Enemy CAs dead = lower rate of fire coming back at you = less fires set on your BBs.

5.  If you have a CV you have just helped them do their job of removing enemy capital ships.  No enemy CA's = lower AA cover that your CV has to deal with.

I also believe that in the early game all the Cruiser should help Battleships taking out enemy Cruiser (that mean they should be able to do the AA support in the same time) while DDs should handle other DDs by their self, After removing enemy Cruiser they can focus on Battleships or whatever they want :D:D:D

520 posts
11,127 battles

Here's a few reasons:

This is correct... In a mahan or benson.... i feel very vulerable when a Mogami is nearby stalking my capzone.  And once im out,  thats one less set of Guns working for my team.  its unfortunate that Destroyers have to be so fragile in Capzones... but this is the nature of the boat even in real life (And why they are so cheap to Produce)

BBS attacking CAs mean they BB Drivers Need to be more aggressive facing the threats, for the team of course least not we forget.  This should still be done with maximum situational awareness.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I also believe that in the early game all the Cruiser should help Battleships taking out enemy Cruiser (that mean they should be able to do the AA support in the same time) while DDs should handle other DDs by their self, After removing enemy Cruiser they can focus on Battleships or whatever they want :D:D:D

to a point - IMO early game CA play should be providing AA support to BB's/CV's while providing gunnery support to your DD's by helping take down enemy CA's at range or helping your DDs take out enemy DDs.  Leaving your DDs on their own raises the risk that you will go a ship down (and points) early on.

248 posts

these are all just opinions,

and people have to play how they feel is good for them.

unless ur in a div, you might have to get used to the idea that you're wrong. sorry.

one thing that is a common conception that annoys the hell out of me is when a team all goes somewhere together in a line a sif it's a good tactic.

I can tell you as a nagato with the longest range in those tiers

I LOVE IT when the enemy all line up for me so i barely even have to move my turrest to shell them

what i don't like is when they are on two sides of me and i have to choose one target while two are shelling me.

but this "lets all go together holding hands" thing still gets pushed in servers.

it's a massive noob move. stop telling bb's to move together. it also leaves us no way to zig zag.

520 posts
11,127 battles

these are all just opinions,

and people have to play how they feel is good for them.

What is good for 1 member of the team.... may not be good for the rest.

The Needs of the many, out weigh the needs of the Few :) 

In a TEAM game.... there should be a consensus, of how the TEAM will win... the team that comes to an agreement as soon as possible how to approach the situation... wins.  This is true for real military men and how they train.

thats why Ranks are there.... and warfare is never a Democracy;p

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

to a point - IMO early game CA play should be providing AA support to BB's/CV's while providing gunnery support to your DD's by helping take down enemy CA's at range or helping your DDs take out enemy DDs.  Leaving your DDs on their own raises the risk that you will go a ship down (and points) early on.

Since im a DD player i just know that i dont have a capacity to single handedly handle full HP Cruiser by my self (especially Mogami), But fighting enemy DD is another story.

I think is a duty of DD captain to able to take the risk and come out on top of it, in DD vs DD situation i will say it 50-50% chance but by doing so i can keep other DD busy while spotting torpedoes for my team, in the same time i can make enemy Cruiser focus on me so maybe teammate BBs are able to bang that Cruiser easier.

But yes i agree that very risky, but for me is just the duty of DD captain o7

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

520 posts
11,127 battles

Since im a DD player i just know that i dont have a capacity to single handedly handle full HP Cruiser by my self (especially Mogami), But fighting enemy DD is another story.

I think is a duty of DD captain to able to take the risk and come out on top of it, in DD vs DD situation i will say it 50-50% chance but by doing so i can keep other DD busy while spotting torpedoes for my team, in the same time i can make enemy Cruiser focus on me so maybe teammate BBs are able to bang that Cruiser easier.

But yes i agree that very risky, but for me is just the duty of DD captain o7

Lol, as per the Quote in my Signature.

"This is going to be a fighting ship,I intend to go 'in harm"s way, and anyone who doesn’t want to go along had better get off right now.”
Cmdr Ernest E. Evans,  USS Johnston DD-557

There is no other way to do it Efficiently Unless DDS are NOT present in Ranked Battles... DDs SHOULD really CAP and be aggressive about it in the beginning of the match.  To cap, or prevent the enemy from capping and ganing points.  

Be prepared to kill or be killed:P  

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Lol, as per the Quote in my Signature.

"This is going to be a fighting ship,I intend to go 'in harm"s way, and anyone who doesn’t want to go along had better get off right now.”
Cmdr Ernest E. Evans,  USS Johnston DD-557

There is no other way to do it Efficiently Unless DDS are NOT present in Ranked Battles... DDs SHOULD really CAP and be aggressive about it in the beginning of the match.  To cap, or prevent the enemy from capping and ganing points.  

Be prepared to kill or be killed:P  

I prefer this one :D:D:D

"We're making a torpedo run. The outcome is doubtful, but we will do our duty."

The commanding officer, Copeland USS Samuel B. Roberts

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Cruisers are the first targets you should aim for, this paves the way for your destroyer to be able to advance deeper into enemy lines and wreck havoc.

shot-15.11.22_18.47.30-0201_zpslhnkyhes.

Edited by Windforce

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

IMO ranked battles is all about risk management.

always stack the odds in your favour - 1 v 1 is a 50/50 proposition, 2 v 1 should always go to the larger force.

individuals shooting at individuals has a high RNG factor involved, your fleet shooting the 1 target limits that factor.

520 posts
11,127 battles

I prefer this one :D:D:D

"We're making a torpedo run. The outcome is doubtful, but we will do our duty."

The commanding officer, Copeland USS Samuel B. Roberts

lol... USD captains... So Dramatic..:P

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

IMO ranked battles is all about risk management.

always stack the odds in your favour - 1 v 1 is a 50/50 proposition, 2 v 1 should always go to the larger force.

individuals shooting at individuals has a high RNG factor involved, your fleet shooting the 1 target limits that factor.

Sure losing 1 ship (or more) some how mean utterly destroy of the fleet.

Staying alive and keep putting up the damage always the best option.

But what i trying to say its i trying to handle my problems with my self so the team can concentrate on what they doing.

Positioning and situation awareness is really needed in such a independent action, most of all i always try not to get my self into the 1 vs 2 situation because thats a un win able :D:D:D  

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

Nice write up. I only wish more would play like this at times.

A lot of players still go solo head first into the enemy, or refuse to cap and play long range snipers as they say dying costs them credits... really in a ranked battle? *sighs*

520 posts
11,127 battles

Nice write up. I only wish more would play like this at times.

A lot of players still go solo head first into the enemy, or refuse to cap and play long range snipers as they say dying costs them credits... really in a ranked battle? *sighs*

yes, i agree.   Its a team game, but the concept is alien to many as the joy of Sinking ships becomes a "Hero" Venture.   Personally, i think ive played alongside you Greifer, we won one Ranked battle in the same team.

51 posts
1,163 battles

Staying with the pack does help. I had a game in a mutsuki in ocean once and i'm the only DD.  After capping, stalking a lone fuso was very fun.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Funnily enough, I've yet to communicate in ranked battles beyond stating exactly what I was going to do and usinf the F-commands. Worked out pretty well so far.

No one likes a backseat admiral or one player calling the shots.

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

No one likes a backseat admiral or one player calling the shots.

True but in many games I play there is no-one calling any shots. Its the random factor leading to everyone following one ships lead or just [content removed] all over the place. If it needs to be said I will say it as peeps do get so into the game they forget to watch the mimimap :izmena:

Profanity. Post edited, user warned.

~amade

Edited by amade

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

The F commands are great for which point to head for etc. But sometimes if ships go solo or rush head in you try and warn them. But in the end it is the players choice. 

Indecision costs games as much as poor communication. Ive seen many players state their tactics for BBs and CAs and players did listen and we won. Id rather a team that talks and uses the F keys

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

The F commands are great for which point to head for etc. But sometimes if ships go solo or rush head in you try and warn them. But in the end it is the players choice. 

Indecision costs games as much as poor communication. Ive seen many players state their tactics for BBs and CAs and players did listen and we won. Id rather a team that talks and uses the F keys

Definitely!

520 posts
11,127 battles

If everyone wanted to be the hero.... RB would be chaotic.  If a plan is to be made... all should comply, for the benefit of the team.  There is no room for Individial gains in ranked... just do random if you want to go "solo"