You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TepidusLegend

Asian Languages

31 comments in this topic

222 posts
3,269 battles

Mr moderator, i can't exactly order my team's battleships to form a battleline and form up a team of cruisers and destroyers to flank the enemy whilst the battle line takes the brunt of the enemy force now can't I?

Edited by TepidusLegend

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Yeah, but I highly doubt you'd be able to convey that in Chinese or Japanese anyway, given that they're complex phrases. In which case using the contextual F-commands would be sufficient to convey the gist of what you hope your team can do - highlighting an area to be captured, or a priority target to focus fire on, or a square. The abbreviations DD/CA/CV/BB are also known to the non-english players, so that is also sufficient.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Agree with Syanda in the main.

I would like to see a radial dial for some of the basic formations (Line Abreast, Line Astern etc.) and specific actions (Provide AA cover/screen, provide anti-DD screen) on top of the F key commands we have, but as Syanda has pointed out the conversion of some of these phrases between languages can be problematic.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,175 battles
Tell them Samuel L.Jackson has something to say with them:

Rated 18+

[Content removed]

Inappropriate content. Post edited, user warned.

~Syanda

Edited by Syanda

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Well, i find it very difficult to communicate with others in this server since english speakers are a rarity these days. Can you guys teach me a few phrases that i can use for World of warships?

Like everybody said here, best to use the Quick Commands (QC) buttons to others attention. The transmission of the QCs on your client maybe in English but on other players' client, it will be transmitted in their respective game client's language (either they're using Japanese, National language of Taiwan, etc.).

222 posts
3,269 battles

But seriously though, do people even listen to commands? I've often been in matches where nobody even utters a single word. This is a ship combat simulator goddamit, it requires teamwork to perform efficiently. It's like these jerks want me to be the dumbass that dies first i swear to god...

I even tried talking to them in their native language! And they still won't respond. I can only speak basic japanese, indonesian and english. But these jackasses.... They just group up without a concrete plan and eventually the team gets slaughtered.

Sometimes when i find people that are actually willing to communicate, they happen to not speak the same language as i do. I'm actually trying to make an effort to understand them here, and it seems that none of you really get the whole point of this thread.

Perhaps you guys are just so good that you don't even need teamwork as badly as i do...

520 posts
11,127 battles

But seriously though, do people even listen to commands? I've often been in matches where nobody even utters a single word. This is a ship combat simulator goddamit, it requires teamwork to perform efficiently. It's like these jerks want me to be the dumbass that dies first i swear to god...

I even tried talking to them in their native language! And they still won't respond. I can only speak basic japanese, indonesian and english. But these jackasses.... They just group up without a concrete plan and eventually the team gets slaughtered.

Sometimes when i find people that are actually willing to communicate, they happen to not speak the same language as i do. I'm actually trying to make an effort to understand them here, and it seems that none of you really get the whole point of this thread.

Perhaps you guys are just so good that you don't even need teamwork as badly as i do...

i feel you here.  And i completely agree with communication.  When there is communication within the team... much higher chances of a win.  And it also makes for a pleasant experience.

We should division one time. Lol

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Can you guys teach me a few phrases that i can use for World of warships?

With pleasure.

Translations inside the brackets.

"Backe, backe Kuchen, der Baecker hat gerufen."

(Back, back quickly, torpedoes have been launched)

"Oh Tannenbaum, oh Tannenbaum, wie gruen sind deine Blaetter?"

(Oi, teammate, oi, teammate, what's your strategy?)

"Walle! walle manche Strecke, dass zum Zwecke Wasser fliesse."

(Move! Move to the front, our purpose is to put them into the water (sink them))

"Freude schoener Goetterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium."

(Happiness be upon us, we're the best team)

I took some liberties in the translation, since the meaning would've been lost in translation otherwise.

Beta Tester
404 posts
91 battles

Rated 18+

[Content removed]

Inappropriate content. Post edited, user warned.

~Syanda

Soon my prediction will come true

Nguyen getting banned again...

:P

And to OP, i found lots of the players speak English, but choose not to answer or reply.

Beta Tester
40 posts
10,376 battles

This maybe off topic, but whenever I see boxes in chat and another boxes popped and then another boxes appeared and it continues... I alt-tab for a moment and play Astronaut by Simple Plan and put it on replay.

That song fits extremely well that you feel like wanna cry seeing your teamates from faraway..:D

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

I would like to see a radial dial for some of the basic formations (Line Abreast, Line Astern etc.) and specific actions (Provide AA cover/screen, provide anti-DD screen) on top of the F key commands we have

I doubt that even most English speakers playing this game would understand terms like line abreast/astern, it's mostly those of us who are interested in military topics who are familiar with these.

I may be a bit pessimistic, but I get the feeling that plenty of players might just be average kids and ordinary Joes who play videogames in their spare time.

Mr moderator, i can't exactly order my team's battleships to form a battleline and form up a team of cruisers and destroyers to flank the enemy whilst the battle line takes the brunt of the enemy force now can't I?

I'd like to see you try this on the NA server, in English.

36 posts
2,915 battles

I'd like to see you try this on the NA server, in English.

I can guess what the common response would be:

lolwat

One could debate whether that counts as English or not.

Edited by KiwifromtheTron

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,842 posts
4,140 battles

Technical naval manoeuvres are a long way off sailing in sniper mode into islands, another ship or the blue line.   I don't think commands will help.

notwithstanding that the current chat system should be sent to the pits of hell to burn for eternity.  

575 posts
5,354 battles

Had the developers had the foresight knowing the multiple languages that will participate on this server, they'd installed an auto-translator program to help limit or remove this barrier. Such a program will improve the gaming experience and most certainly help both sides to work together as a team making it more fun to fight instead of how it is now. These F commands are very limited in scope and do not help the tactical situation. At least in WoT they have commands that can convey a message to others such as 'follow me or fall back.' At a minimum the developers should standardize with WoT's commands for this game modifying them to fit this game's terminology. Same thing for the Port's UI but that's a whole different can of worms.

420 posts
20 battles

I could understand Indonesian, English, and a little Japanese. But for Japanese...I can only see boxes at the chat.

Umm, i've been wondering too, if this server also covers middle east and India. Asia?

295 posts
501 battles

Those boxes are most likely to be korean

not racist and to offend others, korean are the most selfish gamers in my past gaming experience (most of them), thata why they refuse to communicate others with English in game even he is the only one who understand korean

Edited by yanyatcheng

420 posts
20 battles

I think every non alphabetical letters are shown as boxes. Either were it Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Hangul, or anything else.

At 2010 I went to Korea, i think they could understand Chinese, and Japanese better than English. The tour leader was Korean, and he is interesting for being knowledgeable and funny. I enjoyed the tour thanks to him. Yeah, that's off topic, but i think the proper answer for the spoiler content :)