You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Muds_Revenge

Post your crazy ship related pics here.

21 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

From HMS Sussex hull impact by kamikaze Ki-51 Sonia

there were 3 (I think) ships named the Sussex by the RN, one was from the age of sail, sank off the coast of Gibralter, and may have sunk with gold on board!. That's my kind of ship!.

Another was a ferry ship in the English channel, this pic is from ww2, obviously. The plane either didn't have explosives packed, and was possibly a last moment effort to inflict damage from an already doomed craft, or the explosives must have failed to detonate. Or then again, maybe the planes were set up to burn on the decks of CV's?. 

12247978_1960457564178356_5359840157409470501_o.jpg

Edited by Te_Kraken

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,259 battles

HMS Glowworm under fire from Admiral Hipper just moments before ramming and putting the German Cruiser out of the war for 6 months.

This is how you win a Victoria cross.

WW2Ships-Glowworm1_zpsg6aj1aow.jpg

Glowworm on her side with the captain(Lt Commander Roope) sitting on a deck chair discussing the cricket with an officer while awaiting rescue.

Glowworms captain would drown during the attempted rescue and be awarded the victoria cross on a recomendation from the Hippers captain.

6073244335_cfe50e3fed_b_zpsxh3kkabq.jpg

Inappropriate content.  Post edited. User warned.

~dead_man_walking

note - great historical photos, however the swastika is banned 

Edited by dead_man_walking

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,259 battles

HMS Cambletown after ramming the docks at St Nazaire while packed with exposives. (photograph taken just minutes before detonation).

This is how you win multiple Victoria cross's.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101II-MW-3722-03_St._N

Cambletown destroyed along with the docks.

url_zpsdoxpnutd.jpg

Edited by jimmywrangles_1

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

IIRC Glowworm did not intentionally ram Admiral Hipper - according to British prisoners rescued by the Germans, there was no one at the helm or rudder due to heavy damage from Hipper.

Here's a pic of Kongou-class battleship Haruna at Kure after the war. Note the dazzle lines painted on her turrets.

O5qCcbm.jpg

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I wish i have time to post my trip to Mikasa and Yamato museum :(

But would you like to see German sub ? http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/1988-u-505-german-type-ixc/ :D:D:D 

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,259 battles

IIRC Glowworm did not intentionally ram Admiral Hipper - according to British prisoners rescued by the Germans, there was no one at the helm or rudder due to heavy damage from Hipper.

Not according to Lieutenant Robert Ramsay the only officer to survive the encounter or Able seaman Duncan Blair who i'll quote.

"In the meantime we had received many hits. We had dived back into the smoke screen. When we came out the Captain said "stand by to ram" and that is what happened. We turned around and we ran straight into the Hipper smashing into her side and tearing a gaping hole in her. I believe this was instrumental in disabling her water desalination plant. As we turned away we received many hits some of them very serious. In fact one of them ripped a hole in the engine room in the starboard side of the ship. The Captain, then realising that we were sinking, ordered us to abandon ship."

In every account i can find Lt commander Roope gave the order to ram so I think you're mistaken.

http://gilesnet.co.uk/glowworm/index.php?cmd=duncan

http://www.thewarillustrated.info/213/now-it-can-be-told-last-glorious-fight-of-the-glowworm.asp

http://ww2today.com/captain-of-hms-glowworm-wins-first-vc-of-the-war

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_HMSGlowworm.html

Edited by jimmywrangles_1

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

here the last stand of aoba the wolf of solomon

she's one though girl that refuses to sink even though how many times she got beaten by the enemy.

T9bvvQ0.jpg

some more detailed information from the comic of sakazaki fredy (click img to read translation by hovering mouse pointer at the text)

v0poirC.jpg

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,259 battles

here the last stand of aoba the wolf of solomon

she's one though girl that refuses to sink even though how many times she got beaten by the enemy.

T9bvvQ0.jpg

My Aoba often looks like that.

406 posts
6,287 battles

7915026236_63e0e3b48a.jpg

What I love about this - is the tale that all the crew swear that she knew what was coming and wasn't going down without a fight, she broke free of her Tug boats and made one last dash to be free in the Atlantic.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

HMS Cambletown after ramming the docks at St Nazaire while packed with exposives. (photograph taken just minutes before detonation).

This is how you win multiple Victoria cross's.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101II-MW-3722-03_St._N

Cambletown destroyed along with the docks.

url_zpsdoxpnutd.jpg

Isn't this from a commando raid, I think the first ever commando raid conducted by the British army?. This is from memory of a book I read 28 years ago. I have googled nothzing!. I think the British realized the potential of commandos after this raid, and they seriously increased their special operations, with attacks like that conducted on the Tirpitz in 2 midget subs.

406 posts
6,287 battles

Isn't this from a commando raid, I think the first ever commando raid conducted by the British army?. This is from memory of a book I read 28 years ago. I have googled nothzing!. I think the British realized the potential of commandos after this raid, and they seriously increased their special operations, with attacks like that conducted on the Tirpitz in 2 midget subs.

Correct - it is the St Nazaire raid - also know as the Greatest raid of all or Operation Chariot.

It also had a large number of VCs awarded and quite possibly one of the greatest British one-liners:

Just before the Campbeltown exploded, Sam Beattie was being interrogated by a German naval officer who was saying that it wouldn't take very long to repair the damage the Campbeltown has caused. Just at that moment, she went up. Beattie smiled at the officer and said, 'We're not quite as foolish as you think!

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

Here's a pic of Kongou-class battleship Haruna at Kure after the war. Note the dazzle lines painted on her turrets.

O5qCcbm.jpg

The ship sink or what?

the hull is so low, 1st turret almost touch the horizontal line -.-?

Edited by R3negade

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

O5qCcbm.jpg

Haruna doesn't look like daijoubu in the pic :(

anyways, here, have some Gearing 

5Big06X.jpg

During the Korean war, Gearing class USS Ernest G. Small struck a mine which nearly ripped her forward bow, due to bad weather (heavy seas) eventually tore her forward bow. Since the bulkheads can't withstand traveling forward she sailed backwards to Kure (with a help of a fleet tug boat)

:D