Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShadowPolack

Strange Gun Mechanics

6 comments in this topic

17 posts
1,175 battles

I would like the developers to explain this one to me.  I was in my New York shooting at a Kawachi.  Bear in mind that it has 5 twin gun turrets and I was shooting one turret at a time (so I can ensure accurate fire).  The first 3 turrets gave me 2 hits in the forward half of the ship.  My fourth is the puzzler.  I watched as one shell (left gun) landed just in front of the Kawachi's bow and the other shell (right gun) on the aft end of the ship.  If anybody tries to tell me that this is normal, I will reach thru this monitor and bitch slap the stupid out of you.  The guns in the individual turrets may change elevation different from each other, but they cannot change direction unless the entire turret does.  So tell me, is this more of making it more fair for IJN warships fighting against USN ships?  If so, this is extremely bogus.  And don't even tell me to save the action as that dog ain't gonna  hunt.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I would like the developers to explain this one to me.  I was in my New York shooting at a Kawachi.  Bear in mind that it has 5 twin gun turrets and I was shooting one turret at a time (so I can ensure accurate fire).  The first 3 turrets gave me 2 hits in the forward half of the ship.  My fourth is the puzzler.  I watched as one shell (left gun) landed just in front of the Kawachi's bow and the other shell (right gun) on the aft end of the ship.  If anybody tries to tell me that this is normal, I will reach thru this monitor and bitch slap the stupid out of you.  The guns in the individual turrets may change elevation different from each other, but they cannot change direction unless the entire turret does.  So tell me, is this more of making it more fair for IJN warships fighting against USN ships?  If so, this is extremely bogus.  And don't even tell me to save the action as that dog ain't gonna  hunt.

This is normal (for a game). Its called dispersion, as much as I hate it, thats how WG decided to make it.

When fired, your shells from your gun has a "dispersion radius" in which it can land, wide or long, it totally defies physics but that is how the game is programmed.

Edit Add:

This applies for ALL ships of all nation and class not just USN BBs.

Edited by Windforce

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

When you aim a gun at a target, the shells land in a circle around your aim point. How large the circle is is the dispersion value in your port stats. When you fire, each individual shell will fall within that dispersion circle - the challenge is to have your circle overlaid over as much of the target ship as possible in order to maximize the number of shots you land.

On that note, this is why firing one turret at a time isn't particularly a good idea for accurate fire - because it just means two or three shells landing within the dispersion circle, whereas firing off a volley for multiple turrets will have more shells falling within overlapping dispersion circles.

As for whether or not it is realistic, well, take a look at what happens when firing a shell into high crosswinds from a smoothbore gun. That stuff curves.

683 posts
7,367 battles

There is a saying that no two shells will land at the exact location, and that's why in battles on land we could see soldiers taking cover in those, what do we call it? "Holes"??

IMHO this is because each individual shells has slight difference among them, and thus dictate the characteristics of its projectile.

But yeah, it's kind of frustrating when it dispersed so much

Sign in to follow this