You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Black_Beard

Engine/Steering Damage and repairs.

Engine/Steering Damage and repairs.  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Keep current system as it is and allow engine to be knocked out repeatedly?

• Yes, I love seeing my engine knocked out after just repairing it!
    • No!
  2. 2. Add 10-20 second timezone that makes ship immune to engine/steering AFTER using repair button.

• Yes!
    • No, I enjoy losing my engine every 3 seconds

23 comments in this topic

55 posts
1,452 battles

This is going to sound like a rant, hell with it.. Its going to be a rant. Why? Because Engine damage and steering damage is completely broken. The way the game currently functions: BOOM BOOM!, ENGINE DAMAGED! REPAIR PARTY USED* - 3 seconds later - BOOM BOOM! ENGINE DAMAGED! BOOM BOOM, - dead in the water no escape-. How the game SHOULD work: BOOM BOOM! ENGINE DAMAGED! REPAIR PARTY USED* - 3 seconds later - BOOM BOOM! ENGINE NOT DAMAGED! ... You see that, you see that big, bold, italicized NOT. This is utter bullshit. immediately after repairing there needs to be a 10-20 second delay on engine or steering damage no more repeated engine damage every 3 seconds, its complete bullshit. Its all back to the RNG gods once again! Whoever gets their engine taken out first sinks to the bottom with no escape. Seriously we might as well remove the damage control party since bbs will still get completely lit up like a firework (which im fine with to be honest, im the one igniting those flames) and cruisers and dds will get their engine taken out every 2 seconds when hit with high explosive shells. Sigh * RNG strikes again curse you!

1,134 posts
1,377 battles

There is already a grace period after using your Damage Control Party where you won't be affected by various debuffs though the time on grace period varies depending on which nation and class of ship.

E.g USN Battleships have  20 seconds of immunity compared to IJN Battleships having only 10 seconds of immunity, while everything else has 5 seconds worth of immunity after the Damage Control Party button is pressed.

Beta Tester
40 posts
10,613 battles

As a DD captain (mostly in my gremy), I really do hate my engine and rudder being damaged and would be screaming a big NO when it happens... but!

When I am the one who is doing that to the enemy ship (engine/steer dmg/fire etc) I'd be grinning and starting to laugh like a devil.

So I guess it is even?

Don't tell me you never laugh when you burned/broke their engine or steer/citadel'ed them for 10k, I won't believe ya!

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,203 battles

Don't tell me you never laugh when you burned/broke their engine or steer/citadel'ed them for 10k, I won't believe ya!

It is even more fun when you damage his rudder/engine, he/she repairs it, and your next salvo breaks it again.  :trollface:

520 posts
11,134 battles

This is an ok idea, BUT Un necessary given that most DD captains have learned to adjust to the vulnerability of destroyers that they use.  Harder to use ships, make for better learning thus makes one better in resource management.

1,140 posts

dear all people that keep say 'last stand' over and over

It's no easy at all to grind to tier 4 skill,

it take 10 skill point, or level 11 commander or 102,900 XP in total

I have to grit my teeth to HELL OF ENGINE/RUDDER BUST up for countless of times till I get that skill on minekaze...

for those who never know how it feel to see your ship sit still helplessly while looking at countdown time of engine normal repair time.... stop say like last stand was an easy skill to get.
Edited by PGM991

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,203 battles

I've got Last stand on my Minekaze, I'm almost at my 5th level perk soon. It is horrible to get your engine shot out and be helpless? Yep, I get that alot in my non Last Stand Hatsuharu if that happen I either pop smoke or if I don't, pray to Vadim the shells will miss, or a quick death.

It is like WoT where you grind like crazy in your scout to get 6th sense cause it (like Last Stand) is a required skill to stay alive.

Talking about engine getting knocked out, same thing in WoT, get tracked in a LT = pray they miss their next shot, we don't get "Last Stand" in WoT.

Edited by Windforce

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,933 battles

Slightly loaded poll questions but I do find it really annoying when i have gotten my ship fixed when its instantly wrecked again.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Generally, if you're being shot at enough to take out your engines in successive hits, you've made a bad tactical decision somewhere. On a DD, this may be being overconfident or approaching too close to a large group of enemies, or failing to reserve your smoke cloud for defensive uses. For a cruiser, this means failing to retreat in the face of superior forces or being caught too far out in the open/too far forward. Or you're simply being outplayed by a smart player going for aimed shots to disable you before killing you. Damage Control makes you temporarily immune to further engine disables in addition to fixing a disabled engine, as Windforce pointed out, but if you're taking fire longer than its duration, then yes, poor tactical decision made somewhere earlier and you're reaping the cost of it.

[SB]
116 posts
12,557 battles

Generally, if you're being shot at enough to take out your engines in successive hits, you've made a bad tactical decision somewhere. On a DD, this may be being overconfident or approaching too close to a large group of enemies, or failing to reserve your smoke cloud for defensive uses. For a cruiser, this means failing to retreat in the face of superior forces or being caught too far out in the open/too far forward. Or you're simply being outplayed by a smart player going for aimed shots to disable you before killing you. Damage Control makes you temporarily immune to further engine disables in addition to fixing a disabled engine, as Windforce pointed out, but if you're taking fire longer than its duration, then yes, poor tactical decision made somewhere earlier and you're reaping the cost of it.

Or gaining a puppy.

Had a game last night where the puppy handler on the enemy team was so bent on providing me with puppy love, my team's puppy handler was able to deliver their puppies to play with them.

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,933 battles

Not always, sometimes the fights just heat up or there is no choice to stick it out, or, as you said, sometimes its simply being outplayed. 

Also how long is this damage control immunity? Is that a BB thing or do you mean the short period while the repair party is doing its thing? Because it seems to be fair game to get hit again after that.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

noting that >60% of a DD's hull is engineering spaces of some description, losing your engine or steering most of the time you are hit seems to be a reasonable occurrence.

6sa0ci.jpg

1,140 posts

noting that >60% of a DD's hull is engineering spaces of some description, losing your engine or steering most of the time you are hit seems to be a reasonable occurrence.

6sa0ci.jpg

hmm... the game was unrealistic for almost everything (except for ship model)

don't try to be realistic now,:trollface:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

dear all people that keep say 'last stand' over and over

It's no easy at all to grind to tier 4 skill,

it take 10 skill point, or level 11 commander or 102,900 XP in total

I have to grit my teeth to HELL OF ENGINE/RUDDER BUST up for countless of times till I get that skill on minekaze...

for those who never know how it feel to see your ship sit still helplessly while looking at countdown time of engine normal repair time.... stop say like last stand was an easy skill to get.

So how long till they going to buff the repair party for you ? soon™ ? it going to be faster than getting the Last Stand ? or you just lazy and dont want to play the game till they buff it ? if they never buff it you basically stop playing the game ? if you already stop playing the game what the point of complaining about how hard to get the Last Stand ?

Adept find a solution and deal with it i guess :D:D:D

Beta Tester
89 posts
6,128 battles

I was about to start a post asking if this module destruction had been increased in the last couple patches because I'm suddenly getting the engine hit/repair/engine steering hit and/or turrets destroyed ALL the time, instead of semi regularly ... in fact today I approached a BB in my dd for a semi suicidal torp run (sometimes there's no choice) and BAM 1 set of torp tubes destroyed.  The very next hit I took destroyed the other torp tubes .. now I say DESTROYED (not incapacitated and able to be repaired)  .. so either ive been very lucky in all my games until recently or very unlucky lately ..

I accept losing modules .. but when its every time your spotted for mere seconds or lately even when undetected (that's a whole other story) it gets a bit much. Maybe RNG need to be toned down just a little or maybe its just a luck thing for me .. are other people noting an increase of module damage?

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,707 battles

As others have said, the captain perk 'Last Stand' is a must on any destroyer.

That being said, this isnt always an option. I know on the Koningsberg, i took a lot of engine damage, and in lieu of that i used the module to reduce engine damage. Thankfully engine issues in that vessel are now less.

Play your ship a bit, and at higher tiers you do have options. 

Personally id rather have engine repairs, steering isnt so bad, doing circles. I did that one game in a Tirpitz and the enemy just kept shooting everywhere around me! :)