You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Coburn

Feature Request: Different visual models for "sister ships"?

14 comments in this topic

103 posts
3,940 battles

I know this may never happen, but with some of the ships, would it be possible if we could select a different ship from the appropriate class?

This idea came about when a team was spamming KanColle quotes about "Haruna is not daijoubu" in which you are able to select different ship "model". I suck at explaining, but basically, if this feature was implemented, a Tier 5 Kongou has a option to change the visual model to Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima (as you can see, the "ships in a series" on the popup information card says 4). The loadout would not change (unless Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima had different loadouts), but the game would still say "Kongou-class" in the tech tree. For all those players who love Haruna as their shipwaifu, this would mean you could change the ship's appearance visually. For Tenryuu, you could switch her to Tatsuta's visual model. Or maybe I'm just too much of a KanColle nerd.

Yes, it may be extra work for Wargaming as they'd need to go back to drawing board and get the 3D modelling team to create the said ship models (and/or copy and modify the existing models), or it may introduce issues (ie. if the other ships in the class have different weapon configuration, etc), but I thought I'd throw this out here just to see if anyone would like it, and if they did, maybe Wargaming could implement it. I understand WG want to keep it at the moment so that it's one ship per class on the tech tree, much like the tanks.

See you on the waters!

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,158 battles

It certainly has been added into the game. For example, the Wyoming, her top hull is actually from the Arkansas. Real life Wyoming did not receive modernization, instead turned into a fire-training ship. But! Sometimes allowing players to configure their ships based on historical design of the class can lead to unbalanced game play. If you allow a Hatsuharu player to configure the ship based on the Ariake, sister of Hatsuharu then you would have 9 torpedo tubes instead of just 6. That's is quite OP for a tier VII. Or Kuma players will want to equip their ship with 40 tubes because Kuma's sister - Ooi or Kitakami has 40 tubes!

Sure needs some restriction.

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

It certainly has been added into the game. For example, the Wyoming, her top hull is actually from the Arkansas. Real life Wyoming did not receive modernization, instead turned into a fire-training ship. But! Sometimes allowing players to configure their ships based on historical design of the class can lead to unbalanced game play. If you allow a Hatsuharu player to configure the ship based on the Ariake, sister of Hatsuharu then you would have 9 torpedo tubes instead of just 6. That's is quite OP for a tier VII. Or Kuma players will want to equip their ship with 40 tubes because Kuma's sister - Ooi or Kitakami has 40 tubes!

speaking of Kitakami,, i missed the good ol' days when she still in-game,, 40 torpedo tubes and hit anything on it's path,, friend or foe,, doesn't matter atleast it hit something,, where the heck is she goes now? and oh yeah,, i'm talking as victim here :teethhappy:

48 posts
1,729 battles

With the interest on the changes in hull, in which as mentioned earlier, if the lead ship did not receive any modernization unlike its sister-ships, will it be possible then if after a change of hull, the naming convention goes to the relative ship that had received the joys of upgrades. 

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

With the interest on the changes in hull, in which as mentioned earlier, if the lead ship did not receive any modernization unlike its sister-ships, will it be possible then if after a change of hull, the naming convention goes to the relative ship that had received the joys of upgrades. 

nahh that just make thing complicated,, i mean,, look dude,, there a ton of ship,, lot of em,, and that gonna take longer,, not to mention,, blue prints,, i rather use their class name than individual ships,, like New York-class or Taihou-class,, that make thing easier to remember

48 posts
1,729 battles

they're not gonna build a new ship, just change the naming convention per hull upgrade or even just select a name in class you want to use for your ship, of course the original model will be kept. why the blueprint? they already have the hulls in game, no changes to that. I have to agree, it actually is easy to remember class names, but is there really no room for consideration to keep something like that as at least a basic idea?

Ship class: Kongo, Hull: Hiei, why not? is that too complex?

Edited by cszino

Alpha Tester
47 posts
1,085 battles

Ariake not gonna be OP since we all know about DD's salty......... #That balance tho:trollface:

575 posts
5,354 battles

I know this may never happen, but with some of the ships, would it be possible if we could select a different ship from the appropriate class?

This idea came about when a team was spamming KanColle quotes about "Haruna is not daijoubu" in which you are able to select different ship "model". I suck at explaining, but basically, if this feature was implemented, a Tier 5 Kongou has a option to change the visual model to Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima (as you can see, the "ships in a series" on the popup information card says 4). The loadout would not change (unless Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima had different loadouts), but the game would still say "Kongou-class" in the tech tree. For all those players who love Haruna as their shipwaifu, this would mean you could change the ship's appearance visually. For Tenryuu, you could switch her to Tatsuta's visual model. Or maybe I'm just too much of a KanColle nerd.

Yes, it may be extra work for Wargaming as they'd need to go back to drawing board and get the 3D modelling team to create the said ship models (and/or copy and modify the existing models), or it may introduce issues (ie. if the other ships in the class have different weapon configuration, etc), but I thought I'd throw this out here just to see if anyone would like it, and if they did, maybe Wargaming could implement it. I understand WG want to keep it at the moment so that it's one ship per class on the tech tree, much like the tanks.

See you on the waters!

This might be a bit easier. Found here, Skin Bottom Sound - WOWS Skin Request & Discussion, you can find large number of skins for ships.

Under Aoba's Skins button you can find 3 different skins for the Kongo.

1. Kancolle Krishima [b hull only]

2. Kancolle Haruna [b hull only]

3. Kancolle Kongo [b hull only]

Included in these skins are you'll find another skin for the Nagato, Mutsu. And there's a great skin for the Warspite too. I believe if you can make contact with these folks they can make you a skin for a ship that isn't done yet. They seem to be very active.

103 posts
3,940 battles

Will those work for the current version? A lot of the skin screenshots are for when it was closed/open beta. Unless the texture format and/or models got reworked, I think they'd work fine.

Another issue is I'm Kongo © for the hull. Not Kongo (B). I guess it would be possible to retrofit the hull graphics to the C hull slot?

575 posts
5,354 battles

Will those work for the current version? A lot of the skin screenshots are for when it was closed/open beta. Unless the texture format and/or models got reworked, I think they'd work fine.

Another issue is I'm Kongo © for the hull. Not Kongo (B). I guess it would be possible to retrofit the hull graphics to the C hull slot?

Yeah they do. I've not found on that didn't work. Besides, I believe they update them as needed.

103 posts
3,940 battles

Wow, that's pretty impressive. 

Regarding the Kongou skins - They work. In my setup, Kongou with the (A) hull is the XerbColle Kongou skin (which can be somewhat distracting), but B and C hulls are Kirishima from that thread that Ni_Tehn_Do linked to. While I do like skins that give the ships a KanColle feel, sometimes skins with less eyecandy is better.

Another cool thing - is you can hotswap skins while the game is running, at least on the hulls. Just change ship, change back, and the ship model applies the new textures.